Sponsored

Front coil spring bending after Daystar leveling kit.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any follow up on this or anyone else have this happening? I have been reading though a bunch of older threads on 2in this vs that vs Mopar ECT ECT. It's raining cats and dogs here so I'm not going to go outside in it to compare / measure spring stuff. But was wondering if the springs was flipped top to bottom, I thought I seen the "floating coil pad" on spring near the bottom. I think it's at top with open side up on mine. Otherwise it's early in day for me I'm a night owl normally and see the crack of noon as early.;) I haven't done a "coil spacer boost" lift in 20 years, I might throw a 1 in on my LJ front after I get to do replace the rear coils / coil spring seat. Other reason I was reading them is I'll probably be installing a set of spacers in front of mine shortly, do to bumper and winch. Not doing a full spring replacement lift kit, that to me defeats buying a Max-Tow. Experience I have with my XJ, being heavy with skid plates, spare parts and tools. Dang T-storms or I'd be out changing some tires or something.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Something is going on with the seating of the springs, my 2.5" ReadyLift SST kit installed and my springs are sitting as straight as they were stock. I had that happen with my rears when I installed a 2.5" lift on my JKU and it was because the springs weren't seated correctly

Easyover

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘71 J2000 Gladiator, ‘95 YJ, ‘20 Gladiator Sport S, ‘80 Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Project Manager
If you’re stacking the spacer on top of the factory isolator you are doing it wrong.

skubyact

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Actor
I have the same issue (although not as dramatic) with the Teraflex 1.5 inch. And why is it always the driver side?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have the same issue (although not as dramatic) with the Teraflex 1.5 inch. And why is it always the driver side?
I'm convinced it's a problem with the spring itself or a flaw with the factory spring perch (The piece that the bottom of the spring seats into) I took a look at a stock Gladiator recently and notices that the driver side spring still had a bit of bow to it.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
OP, can you feel the two locating pins from the spacer on the top spring perch? I just installed the Daystar spacer and that was how I could tell the spacer was in the right spot when installing it.

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
OP, can you feel the two locating pins from the spacer on the top spring perch? I just installed the Daystar spacer and that was how I could tell the spacer was in the right spot when installing it.
I am no longer using the Daystar kit, but yes, that is how I installed it, with the pins coming through the top of the metal perch. I'm using the Teraflex kit now, much better quality but it's still getting the same result. I've had a bow correction kit sitting in my garage for several months, waiting for a time to put it in. It's basically a new bottom perch that replaces the factory one, and forces the spring to not bow out.

Reactions: Mac

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I am no longer using the Daystar kit, but yes, that is how I installed it, with the pins coming through the top of the metal perch. I'm using the Teraflex kit now, much better quality but it's still getting the same result. I've had a bow correction kit sitting in my garage for several months, waiting for a time to put it in. It's basically a new bottom perch that replaces the factory one, and forces the spring to not bow out.
just curious when you removed the Daystar spacer was it damaged in any way? I know you said you replaced it with the Teraflex and same issue I was just curious how the material held up. I considered the Teraflex spacer but did not like that it would have been two spacers and the isolator stacked up vs one piece

skubyact

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Actor
I'm convinced it's a problem with the spring itself or a flaw with the factory spring perch (The piece that the bottom of the spring seats into) I took a look at a stock Gladiator recently and notices that the driver side spring still had a bit of bow to it.
I wish I had looked at the spring BEFORE I did the teraflex level because if it was bowed a little beforehand, I wouldn't be so paranoid now. Lol

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Curious if you noticed any spring bowing before your installs? Something is definitely not right. Maybe a faulty spring?
I installed a Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift when I first bought the Jeep, and just swapped it out for an RC 2.5" spacer lift. The stock springs had no bowing at all with either lift.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Here is the Mopar service manual for installing the 2“ lift.
Read the top note.

Jeep Gladiator Front coil spring bending after Daystar leveling kit. 495843A1-9163-4A18-9C55-EC47BC4CA1D4

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
If you’re stacking the spacer on top of the factory isolator you are doing it wrong.
Hmm. Does that hold true to just the 3/4” Daystar leveling kit?
The instructions say to “add the spacer, noting the alignment of the factory spacer”.
There are no “Locating pins” on the new 3/4” spacer.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
you guys are asking about the driver side bowing so much. Could it be an off center axle issue?

OP
OP
Xenephobe

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Just an update for everyone following. I put on my factory wheels and tires for the winter, and used it as an opportunity to install the Daystar bow correction kit, and it seems to have eliminated 80-90% of the bowing. Feels good to have figured it out. Added some pictures as well

Jeep Gladiator Front coil spring bending after Daystar leveling kit. PXL_20201106_210641762~2

Jeep Gladiator Front coil spring bending after Daystar leveling kit. PXL_20201106_210654156~2

Jeep Gladiator Front coil spring bending after Daystar leveling kit. PXL_20201106_220235517~2

Jeep Gladiator Front coil spring bending after Daystar leveling kit. PXL_20201106_223939214~2
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac