ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Punk'n
Buy a retractable boom that’ll handle the weight...

random google search
https://fightingbrand.com/punching-...gOZH5vxOwQ98Rz-3rBokJ7zI7NYM5d8MaAgstEALw_wcB

Pick up a pulley or two, maybe a gibs device, 8mm prusik rope and a cleat.
$150 bucks and you’ll have a sweet collapsible hoist setup. You could even run a double pulley and create a mechanical advantage, but probably unnecessary
Oh, that retractable boom is an interesting idea!! Kinda makes me want to get one for a punching bag. :rock:

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Your Gladiator looks similar to mine in the garage at best I have about a foot more clearance. I back in all the way to the wall (thank you back up camera) and remove the top and it clears my opener and I can then pull in front ways and park under the hanging top. Its very tight but it works. Definitely not as easy as my JK but it works.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I have the same exact issue. If my truck was 3 inches longer it would not fit in my garage at all. If I wasn't moving in the spring and my wife lady didn't help me take the top off I would put more thought into building a sliding lift for it. it will be interesting to see what you come up with. Good luck.

DJ_Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR, 2021 JTR Diesel
It's time for your 1st house renovation..... change out garage door to the double barn door type the swing outward.

Sponsored

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Nice. I used to have to tuck my CB antenna down or take it off on my JK. Removing the top is 100% doable by yourself. Build a rack to put in the corner and leave it there while it’s off.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Maybe if you slide the
How did you get it off yourself without scratching everything?
Its big but not crazy heavy. The trick is to position yourself near the center of gravity and try to be lifting straight up and down or have somewhere to rest it.

0. Remove the freedom tops
1. Unbolt and unhook everything
2. Walk around the sides and make sure it’s not hooked onto anything
3. Stand in the bed, behind the rear window, facing forward
4. Reach down and grab the hardtop from the side channels, lift up and back to make sure it’s free
5. Lift it up and back a few inches at a time until just the front bolt holes are still resting on the roll bars. Just rest the bottom on the bed rails and the top on the roll cage as you go. Avoid dragging with any amount of weight on it to prevent scuffing your bed caps.
6. Now the trickiest part... lift the whole thing, rotate it onto its side, and set it down in the bed. Just grab it by whatever is convenient. You’ll probably need to move your hand position from the sides to the front/back or something like that. Having a blanket or towel in the bed will prevent scuffs, but don’t slip on it
7. Carry it back to rest on the tailgate, still on its side
8. Get out, walk around to the other side and lift it down, rotating it if you have to
9. From here, you can carry it wherever you need to go. The easiest way to carry it is to keep it on its side, stand on the inside. Don’t try to grab around the outside. You’ll never get enough leverage to walk a distance that way. Just lift from the middle inside.
10. If you need to stop to rest, just rest the whole thing on your foot to avoid scuffing. You won’t hurt yourself. Again, it’s big but not crazy heavy.

I’d do a demo video but I can’t post one that big.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, fine for young who are tall enough or have good backs or no arthritis, etc...... When lifting 70 pounds causes a visit to the heating pad or Advil............
"Oh, it's EASY, anyone can do it"
People so don't even consider the age, health or even handicaps other Americans can have.
What about a guy or gal who is say, 5'5" - not so simple, perhaps.

Someone wants to find a way to pulley it up and they get nothing but pushback "you don't need a pulley, simply lift it off.
If it was that easy for THEM - would they be asking?
This is totally a fair and valid point. I’m just trying to present a solution for a situation where ceiling clearance isn’t available, working under the assumption that perhaps this person’s problem isn’t physical capability, but rather the misunderstanding that this is as hard as a Wrangler. I don’t think ANYBODY can get a Wrangler top off without a hoist.

FWIW, if I had room for a hoist in my own garage, I’d totally do that instead. Lifting it off yourself is still not fun.

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's time for your 1st house renovation..... change out garage door to the double barn door type the swing outward.
I like the way you think!!! Too bad my HOA probably wouldn't go for that. :(

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe if you slide the

Its big but not crazy heavy. The trick is to position yourself near the center of gravity and try to be lifting straight up and down or have somewhere to rest it.

4. Reach down and grab the hardtop from the side channels, lift up and back to make sure it’s free
5. Lift it up and back a few inches at a time until just the front bolt holes are still resting on the roll bars. Just rest the bottom on the bed rails and the top on the roll cage as you go. Avoid dragging with any amount of weight on it to prevent scuffing your bed caps.
6. Now the trickiest part... lift the whole thing, rotate it onto its side, and set it down in the bed. Just grab it by whatever is convenient. You’ll probably need to move your hand position from the sides to the front/back or something like that. Having a blanket or towel in the bed will prevent scuffs, but don’t slip on it
8. Get out, walk around to the other side and lift it down, rotating it if you have to
9. From here, you can carry it wherever you need to go. The easiest way to carry it is to keep it on its side, stand on the inside. Don’t try to grab around the outside. You’ll never get enough leverage to walk a distance that way. Just lift from the middle inside.
10. If you need to stop to rest, just rest the whole thing on your foot to avoid scuffing. You won’t hurt yourself. Again, it’s big but not crazy heavy.

That is a very interesting approach to removing the top. I've taken mine off a couple of times now and someone normally helps me, we just each carry one side over the bed. I'll have to try this, but I still want a lift, because I don't want to struggle every time I want to take the top off. A lift also helps eliminate the need for storage, since it would be on the ceiling.

For the record, I am a 5'4" female, with moderate strength. Lifting the top with another person seems heavy and awkward, so not sure how doing it myself will go. :D

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a very interesting approach to removing the top. I've taken mine off a couple of times now and someone normally helps me, we just each carry one side over the bed. I'll have to try this, but I still want a lift, because I don't want to struggle every time I want to take the top off. A lift also helps eliminate the need for storage, since it would be on the ceiling.

For the record, I am a 5'4" female, with moderate strength. Lifting the top with another person seems heavy and awkward, so not sure how doing it myself will go. :D
Ah! Another assumption I made... I’m an average height male with average arm span.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Maybe if you slide the

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Two options for you, both were posted on this forum...
1- mount the lift to a panel attached to a track that lets you lift it at the current location then slide the entire contraption to the back wall . Picture a garage door track parallel to the ceiling with a panel on four rollers and a hoist in the center.
2- drop chains from the ceiling - attach chains to the top and pull the top up and back with a hoist so it pivots on the chain as it rises - the chain length defines the radius of the arc.
Sponsored