Sponsored

GDE is back and making EPA compliant tune!

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Awesome. Now I can put away the coin to do the tune. What's the price on it?
It will depend on what options, if any, you add to the tune. The tune is currently $1,100 for the 2014 - 2019 gen II engine. I paid an extra $100 for the regen messaging option and the engine braking option. I imagine the pricing will be similar for the 2020+ gen III engine. The tune will pay for itself just in fuel economy.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It will depend on what options, if any, you add to the tune. The tune is currently $1,100 for the 2014 - 2019 gen II engine. I paid an extra $100 for the regen messaging option and the engine braking option. I imagine the pricing will be similar for the 2020+ gen III engine. The tune will pay for itself just in fuel economy.
Yep, typically they advertise about 2 MPG improvement, and on my Jeep KJ with the VM diesel that's exactly what I saw..about a 2-3 MPG hand calculated improvement. So if that rings true for the new Gen 3 EcoDiesel also, the tune will pay for itself in ~3 years.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Yep, typically they advertise about 2 MPG improvement,
That would be correct. For the 2014 - 2019 engines, GDE is advertising 2 mpg improvement over the original stock tune and 4 mpg improvement over the AEM tune.

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
That would be correct. For the 2014 - 2019 engines, GDE is advertising 2 mpg improvement over the original stock tune and 4 mpg improvement over the AEM tune.
First diesel here - newb Q: what is GDE doing that gets this extra fuel economy, and why isn’t FCA doing it..?

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
First diesel here - newb Q: what is GDE doing that gets this extra fuel economy, and why isn’t FCA doing it..?
That question has been asked and answered at various degrees. I will redirect you to Keith (tuner at GDE) for specific answers to your questions. Keith used to work in the diesel calibration field for the OEMs, so there's probably some things he can share and some things he can't. More importantly, take a look at the improvements in the tuning. Keep in mind that the highest mileage tuned EcoDiesel now has 425,000 miles on it!

https://greendieselengineering.com/fca-eco-diesel-3-0l-v6-performance-fuel-economy/

Sponsored

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
That question has been asked and answered at various degrees. I will redirect you to Keith (tuner at GDE) for specific answers to your questions. Keith used to work in the diesel calibration field for the OEMs, so there's probably some things he can share and some things he can't. More importantly, take a look at the improvements in the tuning. Keep in mind that the highest mileage tuned EcoDiesel now has 425,000 miles on it!

https://greendieselengineering.com/fca-eco-diesel-3-0l-v6-performance-fuel-economy/
Thanks - not trying to be a jerk or anything but it just sounds like a bunch of marketing. If everything is better and no downsides I don’t see why FCA isn’t doing it. That much increase on MPG is a pretty big carrot for them I think, if they aren’t doing it themselves I would think there must be some kind of a downside.
Not saying it’s not all true just trying to understand it a bit better

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Thanks - not trying to be a jerk or anything but it just sounds like a bunch of marketing. If everything is better and no downsides I don’t see why FCA isn’t doing it. That much increase on MPG is a pretty big carrot for them I think, if they aren’t doing it themselves I would think there must be some kind of a downside.
Like you said, you are a newbie, which means you don't have a good understanding of the data that is in front of you. Call GDE or any tuner and get the information that you want. You will soon find out that's it's not marketing.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
There are many tuned EcoDiesels now with over 300,000 miles. The highest tuned EcoDiesel just turned 425,000 miles last week!
I dont doubt it. its probably a toss up between them controlling egr sensibly and enabling full torque converter lock with lock to lock shifting as to which saved more trucks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I dont doubt it. its probably a toss up between them controlling egr sensibly and enabling full torque converter lock with lock to lock shifting as to which saved more trucks.
All the hot shots/transporters have tuned their engines. They know that stock tuning shortens the life of the engines and creates more problems. Even oil changes can be extended. The GDE tune has a 75% soot reduction, that alone makes a huge difference. The highest mileage truck now has 750,000 miles on the factory transmission. GDE tunes both the engine and transmission. The transporter with 750,000 miles lost his 1st engine at 371,000 due to the EGR cooler leaking internally (engine ran low on coolant and pushed out a head gasket). That part is now recalled. He now has 382,000 on his second engine.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Curious, bit tired after a long day, so if you answered, then dont mind me

Does the tune take into account any existing mods or do you have to send a list of things done? AFE has Charge Pipes and CAI's after all, plus whatever else everyone will make

Warranty or not, this does make incredible gains overall

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Curious, bit tired after a long day, so if you answered, then dont mind me

Does the tune take into account any existing mods or do you have to send a list of things done? AFE has Charge Pipes and CAI's after all, plus whatever else everyone will make
Most modifications that you mentioned (charge pipes, cold air intakes, and Intercoolers) might make the system more efficient, but that doesn't require tuning adjustments. Tuning adjustments happen when you begin to change the engine parameters with a larger turbo, bigger injectors, and/or upgrading engine internals.

Warranty or not, this does make incredible gains overall
Tuning is significant for many reasons. What I like about the GDE tuning is that Keith is trying to improve overall engine efficiency which results in increased fuel economy, more power, and a longer lasting engine. Ultimately, there are less issues with the emissions (SCR/DPF) system. All of these things are important if you plan to keep your truck outside of the warranty period.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram

Every diesel tuner has been squeezing better fuel economy out of diesels for a couple decades. This isn't something new or isolated to this motor. Tuners don't work under the same parameters as manufactures do so it allows them some leniency to alter things. My 8900lbs Ram got 23+mpg tuned, my old duramax got over 25mpg. Saying the manufacturer does what's best for the consumer is like saying the government is looking out for your best interests. Your kidding yourself if you think that. Fact is, a manufacture could easily build a diesel motor for these small trucks that made 600ft lbs, lasted 1,000,000 miles and got 35mpg but they don't because of regulations that are rooted in politics that make people money.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Because the people behind the EcoDiesel are idiots.

This is evidenced by the fact that after years of hell with warranty claims and complaints about the drivability of the Gen 2 engine, especially after the emissions lawsuit and resulting software tuning updates, they started over from scratch with a Gen 3 engine and saddled it with the exact same horrendous drivability issues and problems.

One would think that if Company A had a product on the market that was costing them boatloads of money on warranty claims and was tarnishing any reputation they had left, that Company A would want to make 110% sure that the product they used to replace the former version would have NONE of those same issues. But nope, here we are. Blown engines, oil leaks, EGR failures, factory software updates to try and cure drivability complaints, etc. It's the same ball of yarn.

In my short 42 years on this planet what I've learned is that automotive things from Europe are generally the worst in terms of quality, design, and engineering. Wife and I haven't had one single vehicle from Europe in the driveway that hasn't been a problem or spent time in the shop. Not one.

It is no surprise to me at all that an American company run by a former diesel powertrain engineer who worked for the OEs is able to make a better tune than what comes on these trucks from the factory. No surprise at all.
Sponsored