Sponsored

GDE is back and making EPA compliant tune!

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
That's actually an interesting thought. Although everyone likes to "hold gear" when going uphill it's actually a bad idea for a number of reasons. On "older" engines the water pump is driven by a belt off the crankshaft, so coolant velocity is linked to RPMs. Lower gear for a given speed = more RPMs = more flow. Anyone know if this engine's water pump is crank driven or is it entirely electrical these days?

Sorry to derail this thread, I'm here for the GDE content but had to chime in on this.
Yes, also more load and less RPM is bad
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Try a lower gear, engine might be getting lugged by the trans
Lower gear doesn't net anything but more revs and higher egts with this tiny turbo.

bigjmain

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
Does anyone know if engine braking will increase wear on motor? I'm debating getting that feature. I tow about once a month (light trailer) and have 37s... Would like this tune only to help increase engine life...

Keith Diesel

Banned
Banned
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler ecodiesel
Occupation
Diesel Calibration Engineer
Does anyone know if engine braking will increase wear on motor? I'm debating getting that feature. I tow about once a month (light trailer) and have 37s... Would like this tune only to help increase engine life...
No it does not, as there is no fuel being burned when engine brake is active. The pressures are low compared to any time the engine has a load on it.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
No it does not, as there is no fuel being burned when engine brake is active. The pressures are low compared to any time the engine has a load on it.
Is the engine braking basically the computer playing with the turbo and closing the turbo vains when pedal pressure is removed? LIke a jake brake but with a turbo?

Sponsored

Keith Diesel

Banned
Banned
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler ecodiesel
Occupation
Diesel Calibration Engineer
Is the engine braking basically the computer playing with the turbo and closing the turbo vains when pedal pressure is removed? LIke a jake brake but with a turbo?
Correct. Same way GM, Ford and Cummins utilize engine braking on the larger trucks.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Yup close the vane and let the pressure build in the exhaust manifolds. Same deal across all the brands before you get into the bigger rigs. I had it on my zr2 and it worked well

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Just finished looking up difference. Engine breaking (Jake braking) is on intake side. Mainly used on big rigs, and some super heavy duty trucks.

Turbo vein braking is very similar to exhaust breaking tho as the vanes are on the turbine side, not compressor side as you referenced. Outcome is the same, just applied differently.

Exhaust braking uses a butterfly valve in the exhaust that's actuated.

In the end tho, it seems to be advantageous to have the "exhaust brake" with a vgt like on the ecodiesel.

https://vehq.com/are-exhaust-brakes-hard-on-engines/

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Being that we have a butterfly valve would that be an option to use to control back pressure?? Just a thought

Sponsored

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
I want to read more reviews!!! If you have the tune please post about it! I am on the fence right now as I I hear the trans warm issues are annoying. It likely wouldn't bother me personally, but it would likely confuse or irritate other drivers of my truck. More reviews! Please :)

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I want to read more reviews!!! If you have the tune please post about it! I am on the fence right now as I I hear the trans warm issues are annoying. It likely wouldn't bother me personally, but it would likely confuse or irritate other drivers of my truck. More reviews! Please :)
I think if EcoDiesel owners would use the block heater, the issue wouldn't be as problematic. In other words, the engine would warm up faster. I have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune in my 2015. I have the same problem, but it only lasts a minute into the drive. I have a timer set for the block heater to come on at 1:00 AM. My engine is nice and toasty in the morning.

Tacos

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon ECO Diesel
Occupation
Metal Pattern Maker
I think if EcoDiesel owners would use the block heater, the issue wouldn't be as problematic. In other words, the engine would warm up faster. I have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune in my 2015. I have the same problem, but it only lasts a minute into the drive. I have a timer set for the block heater to come on at 1:00 AM. My engine is nice and toasty in the morning.
Ordered mine with a block heater for this very reason.... All of my VW TDIs get one put in too

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Ordered mine with a block heater for this very reason.... All of my VW TDIs get one put in too
Yup, I have a block heater for every diesel I own, including the tractor. Diesels don't like to be cold, hence the front grille cover recommendation from Ram/Jeep.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Yup, I have a block heater for every diesel I own, including the tractor. Diesels don't like to be cold, hence the front grille cover recommendation from Ram/Jeep.
Can you link the recommendation? Mine warms up fairly quickly in 30F weather.
Sponsored