Sponsored

Gladiator 2 door. Please, please, please, take my money!

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Looks cool, but unfortunately, with family/kids, it's just of no practical use for me. I don't see a lot of two door trucks any more.
Everything comes back around!
Sponsored

WoolyKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Crew cab gladiator is great since it has enough room for family, and you get the versatility. With vehicle prices today not to many can afford having a “house project” truck and a separate daily driver. You need a Jack of all trades.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Everything comes back around!
Not everything. The price of vehicles relative to the average person's salary only ever goes up. It's one of the reasons for the death of the small 2 door truck. People used to be able to afford a part time vehicle for fun and/or hauling. Now, you need one vehicle to do everything as it's easier to afford a big comfortable truck than it is a small spartan work truck and a nicely equipped sedan.

2dr lightnings are dead, 2dr SRT10s are dead, with no spritual successor unless you go aftermarket to the likes of shelby for the Super Snake Sport, which starts at 93k for the one you'd really want (who's gonna pay 86k for 385hp when you could pay 93 for 770)

2dr wranglers are almost dead, but jeep will keep them around because the dream (2dr) sells the reality (4dr for most)

2dr broncos (which will never has as high a take rate as they do at launch) are under 15% of bronco reservations.

porsche, aston martin, and lamborghini are making suvs and sedans now (i know about the LM002 and their tractor history, but it's been a long time between then and the Urus with no SUVs inbetween)

Camaros are on the ropes again even though mustangs and challengers seem to be doing fine.

it's only a matter of time before Toyota and Subaru axe the GR86 and BRZ

BMW are selling 4 door versions of 2 door versions of 4 door cars (4series gran coupe? what?)

Unless this world starts going a lot more Star Trek and a lot less 1984/Fahrenheit 451/Soylent Green, you can expect all things 2dr to become extinct except for the pricey offerings that can support super low volumes and the miata.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education

silverandscout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
If Jeep only made this in a loaded Special Edition, I would buy one. If they only made it in a stripped Base model, I would buy one. Of course I know they aren't going to make it, but IF they do, YES I will.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I would assume that the reduced cab size would accommodate a higher tow rating even with a shorter wheelbase due to weight reduction
Not really... they'd be too short and light, you'll actually have a tow rating between a 2 and 4 door wrangler.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
When talks of the Gladiator were being done, they unveiled 3 versions, a 2 dr, extended cab and a 4 door. I have tried searching for the pic for a while with no luck, Obviously they did not happen.

Bruce

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Reflecting on this. I spent a lot of time on the HAMB (traditional hot rods and sleds)
You would catch a lot of shit from purists about four door cars. People would look down on them. 55 four door was worth less than a 55 two door etc...
Interesting how times have changed.

Not everything. The price of vehicles relative to the average person's salary only ever goes up. It's one of the reasons for the death of the small 2 door truck. People used to be able to afford a part time vehicle for fun and/or hauling. Now, you need one vehicle to do everything as it's easier to afford a big comfortable truck than it is a small spartan work truck and a nicely equipped sedan.

2dr lightnings are dead, 2dr SRT10s are dead, with no spritual successor unless you go aftermarket to the likes of shelby for the Super Snake Sport, which starts at 93k for the one you'd really want (who's gonna pay 86k for 385hp when you could pay 93 for 770)

2dr wranglers are almost dead, but jeep will keep them around because the dream (2dr) sells the reality (4dr for most)

2dr broncos (which will never has as high a take rate as they do at launch) are under 15% of bronco reservations.

porsche, aston martin, and lamborghini are making suvs and sedans now (i know about the LM002 and their tractor history, but it's been a long time between then and the Urus with no SUVs inbetween)

Camaros are on the ropes again even though mustangs and challengers seem to be doing fine.

it's only a matter of time before Toyota and Subaru axe the GR86 and BRZ

BMW are selling 4 door versions of 2 door versions of 4 door cars (4series gran coupe? what?)

Unless this world starts going a lot more Star Trek and a lot less 1984/Fahrenheit 451/Soylent Green, you can expect all things 2dr to become extinct except for the pricey offerings that can support super low volumes and the miata.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
You might be able to get AEV to make a custom for ya, they did it with the tj and jk,
there automotive design experts, got the FCA award for excellence, are well ecognozed in the industry, not a fly by night deal- quite professional. All this has a cost tho- they might take your money and lots of it. They’re an option!!
plus you get to keep your warsntee….

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
In the 70-80s they were great.
I think they said that about bell bottoms and wide-collars. :D

It looks cool, but I don't ever want to own a 2-door utility vehicle or daily driver. Unless I had enough income to cover multiple depreciating money vacuums (Corvette, Giulia 2-dr, R8, etc).

It likely wouldn't attract people who wanted towing and payload increases. We're never going to get a mid-sized rig that can haul 8000# or more (more correctly - stop hauling 8000#).

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I would be down for that, but I would even be happy if they just made a longer bed option for the current 4 door. Even 5.5 ft would be fine for me.
Sponsored