Sponsored

Gladiator bent frame offroading with trailer? Why do you think this happened?

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
So they’re alleging that the shock mounts (axle and frame sides) are stronger than the frame itself? I’m not buying it...
It appears to me that what may well have caused the frame to bend was kinetic energy, not the weight of the trailer tongue, but the combined weight (mass) generated by the trailer.

Say the tongue weighs 200 pounds and at rest there would seemingly be insufficient gravitational downward pull (weight) on the frame to bend it; however, the trailer weighs (loaded) probably as much as 3,000 pounds. When traversing the Mojave Road, there are many undulations where the trailer is posed higher and in a downward position toward the rear of the jeep (that has already gone through the undulation). If the Jeep decelerates rapidly enough the forward motion of the trailer becomes kinetic energy that due to the angle, can push downward bringing the total combined mass of the trailer to bear at an angle superior to and above the Jeep, thus bending the frame downward. Keeping in mind it is mass not weight that converts into energy, there are computations that can explain this more readily; however, it would appear to me that kinetic energy bent the frame, not tongue weight.

To see this, take a piece of copy paper, and hold it so you are looking at it with the 11" edge facing you. Now slightly wave the paper with the right end higher than the left. Stop waving with the right hand and you will see the paper bend in this fashion.

I am not an engineer; however I am a forensic expert and have studied the results of where kinetic energy was present and factored into the end result as presented to me.

But then again, I could be wrong.....
Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a tongue scale years ago. I've only used it a few times, but it is good piece of mind to know you've set tongue weight correctly.
c71c82adfad81e0ae8449a.social_share_1024x768_scale.jpg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Many a pig farmer had one of these
But notice, that bed tilts up, not down.

As for tongue weight, I've seen too many people driving trucks all squatted out like they are giving birth and the front completely extended. How they drive like that is a mystery to me, front brakes all grabby, steering gone to shit... how do you not notice this? How do you see it and think it's safe? I have been heckled for being overly safe at times but I've also never had a wreck, lost a load or jack knifed a trailer so I'm at least par right? But back to the tongue weight, you will know by looking that the load is in the wrong place; the suspension is allowed to settle but once you start developing an angle you can see between the tongue and the receiver you have a problem, shift some weight and try again. But no... they just drive around jack light hunting raccoons in the trees.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
So... is it for setting the weight of it on the tongue or the weight of the tongue on it?

And that tongue needs a brushing.
he said, "tongue scale"

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
Its all speculation but having shocks that are too long will cause issues just like this. I don't think, however, one can draw that conclusion on this specific example without being apart of said event.

But, anyone can obviously see how pulling a trailer off-road at speed can cause this, especially in the trails they were on. As the weight comes off the rear of the truck but going over the crest of the washboard, the trailer's weight is shifting forward, pulling down on the tongue causing the rear to suddenly slam. Then add an incorrect shock package, short or long, its a recipe for disaster for any truck.

This is what's inherently wrong with off-the-shelf lift kits or these cheap lifts that don't include shocks. Suspension is so much more than just lift springs and longer shocks. Its pretty pitiful there are only a few lift kits with a spring/shock package thats designed to work together. Metal Cloak and Mopar being the ones that come to mind. Teraflex's shock/springs aren't tuned together, meaning the shocks they offer are released for length, not necessarily valved to their spring rates. My previous LJ Rubicon took months to dial in spring/shock combo and eventually took a custom valved Fox designed for the Currie springs I had to get comfortable.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 build date Gladiator
i don't have a cheap lift or cheap shocks. I wasn't pulling a trailer. I have checked my bump stops. I have had it on a frame rack and frame measures straight. My bed is crooked. I am opening up myself for suggestions and comments.

IMG_20201214_224307_973.jpg

IMG_20201214_224307_991.jpg

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
i don't have a cheap lift or cheap shocks. I wasn't pulling a trailer. I have checked my bump stops. I have had it on a frame rack and frame measures straight. My bed is crooked. I am opening up myself for suggestions and comments.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator bent frame offroading with trailer? Why do you think this happened? IMG_20201214_224307_991

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator bent frame offroading with trailer? Why do you think this happened? IMG_20201214_224307_991
Yikes! What happened?!?!?