Sponsored

Gladiator buyers - have you owned a Wrangler?

how many people buying a gladiator have owned a wrangler

• Total voters

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I bought my first jeep in 1986 and have had 7 of them since. I have never owner anything but a wrangler style CJ,TJ,JK so I am looking forward to the gladiator.
Favorites? The CJ was what I learned on, never owned one.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I have personally owned a CJ7, several YJ's, an LJ, and a JK. I was planning on purchasing a JLUR when the new generation was revealed but the JT was announced and that changed my plans. I've looked at a few JL's but its JT or nothing for me.

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Bought my first Jeep in 1995, new, stripped down base YJ 4 cyl. 5 speed manual, had it til 2008 with 250,000 miles and going... was forced to sell and still regret it. Had a 2004 new TJ sport, 6 cyl. 5 spd manual, traded that for an 84 CJ7 inline 6, 4 spd manual, and cash, still have her and love her... she reminds me of the Jeep we used to check our fence lines on my great grandparents farm in when I was a lil kid. Had a 16 JK Willy’s,6 cyl. 6 speed manual, just traded for a car better on gas for the wife, so I’m now driving her JLU Sahara, 6 cyl, 8 spd auto, until JT comes out. The JL/JLU,s have incorporated more of the CJ vibe in Exterior styling and the openness of the dash/front area, I really like that and It drives great! ...hoping the JT does as well. My CJ (and the YJ was also) super fun to drive on a sunny day with the top off. I am desperately hoping the the JT is not priced out of our price range...because I’m super excited for it and have been waiting since 2005 when the concept came out.

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
I owned a 2007 Jeep JKU. I sold it cause I needed something with better gas, and a truck made more sense, so I got a 2016 Chevy Colorado long bed Crew Cab. The truck is what I need the jeep is what I want. Wife has a 2018 GC, which is what we were going to have to tow with if I went to a JLU. Now I can have the truck functionality and the fun of the wrangler. Only thing is that I would like a 6ft bed.

Sponsored

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
Owned a 95 YJ and 2007 JKU, sold the JK after having a couple kids and getting my masters. Just didn't have the time to use it what I built it for. Now that the kids are older can finally get back to doing some 4 wheeling and camping .

Warbirds

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater trucks and fast motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
My dad died believing Wranglers weren’t “real jeeps”.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
My dad died believing Wranglers weren’t “real jeeps”.
What did he believe was a "real jeep"? Like the original Willy's that won the war?

Warbirds

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater trucks and fast motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Well yes I suppose Willys, but perhaps more broadly CJ’s. He probably owned a dozen of them over the years.
Wranglers werent a thing until 1987 and he had been driving CJ’s for a good 25 years at that point.

Old dog/new tricks and all of that.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Well yes I suppose Willys, but perhaps more broadly CJ’s. He probably owned a dozen of them over the years.
Wranglers werent a thing until 1987 and he had been driving CJ’s for a good 25 years at that point.

Old dog/new tricks and all of that.
I always thought the wrangler was an evolution of the CJ, is that totally wrong?

Sponsored

MACHZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 RAM Rebel, 19 subaru forester
Favorites? The CJ was what I learned on, never owned one.

My 14 has been the best so far for me. My CJ and TJ were the most reliable and would never die but they were not great on the road.
They both were horrible to drive compared to the JK. My CJ didn't put out much heat, in the winter it would hardley defrost the window let alone warm up the driver. The current Jeeps IMO have good drive ability and have still been able to keep the "Jeep" feeling. I just wish they were as reliable and easy to work on as the older models.

Last edited:

Fishdoc

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler X
I have a 2006, last of the in-line 6. Been waiting for this gladiator since 2007. Hurry up already

Link Pin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara, 1999 Sport 6.0 4L Manual
Occupation
Retired
46717611_10205303979835383_5476982879005179904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.jpg
Been into Jeeps since '47. I'm holding Bro in my lap. This was taken at a family reunion that year. It only had one gear, but it would pull if you had the legs for it. Owned several Jeeps over the years, patiently waiting on the Gladiator
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator buyers - have you owned a Wrangler? {filename}

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
My 14 has been the best so far for me. My CJ and TJ were the most reliable and would never die but they were not great on the road.
They both were horrible to drive compared to the JK. My CJ didn't put out much heat, in the winter it would hardley defrost the window let alone warm up the driver. The current Jeeps IMO have good drive ability and have still been able to keep the "Jeep" feeling. I just wish they were as reliable and easy to work on as the older models.
The CJ that I learned on would be insulted if I accused it of having a heater. Or steering. Agree on being able to work on it. And I am looking forward to going back to stock to keep as much "Jeep" as possible. This JT should beat them all which is saying something.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Have owned one, and if it were t for all the leaks about the Glad over the past 18 months (thanks @JAY !) I’d own another right now. Didn’t want to buy a JL when I *knew* I’d want to trade it in for a Gladiator in a year...
Sponsored