Gladiator diesel real life MPG

Nigelcorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy's Ecodiesel
2" Mopar lift and 37s, I'm at 25.1 average since buying it 3300 miles ago. That's about 40% highway, daily driver.

ShawnwFL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Willys Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Engineer
Stock Willys (not a rubicon but still with 32ā€ tires no lift) Iā€™m averaging 23 city, 28 highway. Got 29 mpg driving back from Atlanta to Florida this weekend at 80 mph. Diesel here is only $0.01 more than regular unleaded. Love this thing.

Hostile4Jeeps

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Been getting about (city and highway combined) an AVG of 21mpg on winter blend. 35's and 2" mopar lift. I also run HotShot EDT in every tank

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Stock Willys (not a rubicon but still with 32ā€ tires no lift) Iā€™m averaging 23 city, 28 highway. Got 29 mpg driving back from Atlanta to Florida this weekend at 80 mph. Diesel here is only $0.01 more than regular unleaded. Love this thing.
Consistent with my stock Willys Diesel. Pure city I am around 22-23 as well.

Sponsored

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Diesel
One thing that no one is mentioning and no one talks about is that the Rubicon gets measurably worse fuel economy than all other trims for the diesel. This is reflected on Fueleconomy.gov, just go look up the trims and you'll find that the Rubicon is 1 mpg worse on all factors. This is due entirely to the tires. The Falken Wildpeak A/Ts and M/Ts weigh 25lbs more per tire than what comes on the sport and Overland, and significantly wider. Willys is about half the difference but still narrow for an M/T. Having a Sport and putting on Mojave wheel/tire takeoffs, my lower back can personally attest to the dramatic weight difference and the MPG calculator backs it up. If you want the most efficient (and fastest accelerating) Gladiator get a Sport or Overland diesel and keep the stock tires.

Of course, if you want the Rubicon get the Rubicon. Just helping you make an informed choice if fuel economy is of utmost importance.

One more thing: if you used your Mojave as intended for high speed offroad, there is a front spring rate issue for the diesel that affects the Rubicon trim the most. Look it up in the 3.0 section, and be prepared to modify your truck to correct the issue with fancy hydraulic bump stops or a lift to get it back to desert runner status.

KW80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd, 2021 JT Sport S Diesel
I have a Sport S EcoD with 285/70 R17 BFGs, Mopar Gladiator wheels with a little poke (around 1.5 inches), and rock rails. I get around 26-27 highway and 22-23 city, approx. 24 overall for my mix of driving.

As others have already mentioned, the main reason to go diesel is the torque and associated smiles per gallon. The mpg benefit is largely a wash with higher actual maintenance and potential repair costs. The added complexity of a modern diesel is a risk, but after driving a diesel Glad I was hooked, just feels like the optimal engine (at least until a high torque electrified option becomes available) for this platform.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Here's my advice: Go to Fuelly.com and look at the data there. It's hand calculated and takes out all the "I get 30 MPG on 37s!" lies you find on the internet.

As of right now, if we combine JL and JT EcoDiesels nationally, with hundreds of thousands of miles totalled, it looks like the average is 21.7 MPG.

My personal average over the last six months is 19.7 MPG. Granted I have 295/70R18 tires.

So realistically you're looking at low 20s stock on a daily commute with the diesel.
This is my experience. Quite a disappointment between that and the way the vehicle randomly detunes itself when I want it the most, but at least I've got that diesel payment!

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
Iā€™d love a diesel as even 22mpg on 35/37ā€ tires is a dream come true.

I suppose though at 16 Iā€™m only 6 under that or about 120 miles less per tank. Works out to be about 7.5 gallons more needed per tank. At 3.30 a gallon thatā€™s rounded up to $25 a tank. 2x a month and Iā€™m at $600 a year more in gas. Would take about 6 years for break even +-

All that being saidā€¦if I could do it again Iā€™d get the diesel. Factor in regearing cost on a 3.6 and it shortens the payoff to 2 years.

4MOTION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, 2021 ECD ) A90 Supra, Kia Niro
Before the 1.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires.
Factory setup was allowing me 28 to 29 miles to the gallon on the H-A 20 inch wheel and tire package & 3.73'
On the highway at 70 mph, and about 26 mixed.
Now with the lift and the 35 inch tires, and RR Hard Tri Fold bed cover,
I average around 23/24 mixed, and 25/26 Highway at 70-72 mph, every fuel up.
I get better mileage when I'm on relatively flat and semi hill climbs. When I climb more hills, fuel consumption is at the lower numbers.
This is based off of hand calculation, and amount of fuel use between fill -ups.

Hands down, for light-duty pickups, unless you want sport truck,,
towing or not.
In my opinion, diesel is the only way to go.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
I have a diesel sport S i got it in June and have 16k on it. I drive around 500 miles a week give or take. My average combine average for me is 27-28mpg. The lowest i have dropped in as long as i can remember is 23mpg. I am stock but will be going to 38s soon. I have not towed with it but i have hauled a lot with it and again never went below 23. I also always put a diesel fuel additive in with every tank. I will not get less then 460 or 470 mile on a tank. also i have to put in one 2.5 gal def fluid in about every 4k which is 13 bucks

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
Iā€™d love a diesel as even 22mpg on 35/37ā€ tires is a dream come true.

I suppose though at 16 Iā€™m only 6 under that or about 120 miles less per tank. Works out to be about 7.5 gallons more needed per tank. At 3.30 a gallon thatā€™s rounded up to $25 a tank. 2x a month and Iā€™m at $600 a year more in gas. Would take about 6 years for break even +-

All that being saidā€¦if I could do it again Iā€™d get the diesel. Factor in regearing cost on a 3.6 and it shortens the payoff to 2 years.
Are you factoring in the fact that it takes 5 more gallons to fill up the gasser then the diesel? so the cost to fill up is less as well as the frequency to fill up which makes it even less?

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
21 JTRD, 23K miles on 35ā€ BFG KO2s with 2ā€ Mopar lift.

Pure in-city: 19-21
Open highway: 25-27 (seems to at 60 mph)
Overall since purchase: 22.5

Sorry, no trailer numbers.

I will add that trail and limited rock crawling performance has been excellent. A recent 300-mile round trip to AOAA, including 7 hours on greens and blues, saw 20 mpg overall.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
There are way too many variables here.

The last word(s) on the REAL, ACTUAL MPG that you personally will get compared to the sticker or to the gauge cluster or to ANYONE ELSE on the planet:

"Your mileage may vary..."
Sponsored