Gladiator Expedition Rigs

lkosh

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Alright, here is the final version (I hope). It will take me a while, but I'm gathering the parts now.
Very curious to watch this come to life! I’ll definitely be interested in something similar.

How are you going to stretch the top, fiberglass? Or do you have something else in mind? Will you need to strengthen/add structure to the top to support the upper bed?

And are you planning on just having the seat in the camper lay over the front of the bed and back of the cab? Or are you going to cut into those to make the seat? Curious how you’ll seal between the cab and bed if they’re connected.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Very curious to watch this come to life! I’ll definitely be interested in something similar.

How are you going to stretch the top, fiberglass? Or do you have something else in mind? Will you need to strengthen/add structure to the top to support the upper bed?

And are you planning on just having the seat in the camper lay over the front of the bed and back of the cab? Or are you going to cut into those to make the seat? Curious how you’ll seal between the cab and bed if they’re connected.
Now that's a lot of good questions. First, I'm going to cut and add about 5 ft. of fiberglass to the middle. Also I've got to add structural components in the fiberglass layup. The entire build will be bolt on and reversible, so no cutting on the truck. I'll still be able to change over to my original hardtop or go convertible. I'll post some pictures, as I make progress. I want to feel out how big the interior is before committing to an interior layout. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Yossarian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
Man, someone already built the ultimate Gladiator Expedition rig,
I guess we can all go home now :surprised:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs expoglad2

from IG-msoverland
I have been wondering what the story is on this one. I saw it pop up on another web page about a week ago but no explanation on it. This Gladiator needs more crap attached to it.

Sponsored

Lost_In_The_Woods

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Man, someone already built the ultimate Gladiator Expedition rig,
I guess we can all go home now :surprised:

from IG-msoverland

The blind spot from the traction boards is impressive, to say the least.:facepalm:

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
The blind spot from the traction boards is impressive, to say the least.:facepalm:
Though I haven't been there since I was a child. I recognized the drug store in the background. That picture was taken in Wall South Dakota.

Sponsored

lkosh

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Now that's a lot of good questions. First, I'm going to cut and add about 5 ft. of fiberglass to the middle. Also I've got to add structural components in the fiberglass layup. The entire build will be bolt on and reversible, so no cutting on the truck. I'll still be able to change over to my original hardtop or go convertible. I'll post some pictures, as I make progress. I want to feel out how big the interior is before committing to an interior layout. Stay tuned...
I've been thinking about this a bit more... I'm probably being antsy haha, but any progress on it?

I don't know much about fiberglass-ing at this point, but have read up on it a little bit, so I'm curious to see what you do and how you get the new mat to get a good mating surface with the existing hard top.

Since you went with a JT top, do you have a plan for the rear window/door? Are you going to make the camper accessible through the rear?

I drove past a JL earlier today and had the thought, would it have been better off starting with a JL hardtop that way you could have the flip up window in the rear and the tailgate of the Gladiator to have as your door/entry point? Would the JL hardtop even have the same necessary dimensions (height, width, etc, of course not including the length that needs to be fiberglassed in)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'll post as I go, but this build is going to take a long time. Here's a rundown of what's going to happen:

Cut c-pillar to stretch.
Cut Back window end to shorten.
Build wood jig to align parts, on truck.
Epoxy fiberglass panels to fill in the stretched parts
Fiberglass matt & cloth inside of shell for strength and stiffening beams (1x3 wood and some thin fro panels)
Cut expansion joint and build headers for cab/bed connection
Bondo and sand, sand, sand
Prime, paint.

As for the back end, this is tricky. Since I will narrow the back window area, I won't be able to use stock glass.

Cut and mount 3/8 Lexan for a back lift gate. I'll cut part of the fiberglass or the bottom lip of the fiberglass and mount to the Lexan. If the Lexan doesn't work, I could always build fiberglass barn doors (lots of work).

Start the Roof Top Tent build...

It would be easier to buy a shell, but it wouldn't be as much fun.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5110.JPG

Last edited:

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Here's one option for an accordion seal. There are some others I'm looking into.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5110.JPG

used the years ago with a crawl through low rider s-10 I built. It will work just fine just glue it also with weather stripping adhesive

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about this a bit more... I'm probably being antsy haha, but any progress on it?

I don't know much about fiberglass-ing at this point, but have read up on it a little bit, so I'm curious to see what you do and how you get the new mat to get a good mating surface with the existing hard top.

Since you went with a JT top, do you have a plan for the rear window/door? Are you going to make the camper accessible through the rear?

I drove past a JL earlier today and had the thought, would it have been better off starting with a JL hardtop that way you could have the flip up window in the rear and the tailgate of the Gladiator to have as your door/entry point? Would the JL hardtop even have the same necessary dimensions (height, width, etc, of course not including the length that needs to be fiberglassed in)?
So here is your big choice. Do you start with a JT Gladiator or a JLU Wrangler top, or both and stretch them.

The JT top will fit the Gladiator front end perfectly, and you can use the freedom panels and bolt it right on. The JT top is too wide for the tailgate section, so you will have to narrow it and fabricate the back door, or let it hang over both sides by 3/4". The corner fit is perfect and the tailgate aligns with the window perfectly, once narrowed. This is the cheapest route.

The JLU top is too tall to fit the Gladiator front end, but it has a nice flip up window you can use in the back. It's not a perfect fit in back but is looks pretty close, based on the Spartan build posted earlier. This is more expensive.

Option #3, use a gladiator cap for the front and a JLU for the back. Ouch, that gets expensive unless you can find a couple wrecked jeeps, and the transition between two different height caps is tricky.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5063.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5064.JPG

Last edited: