First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Heard that. Especially when you are sitting at the bottom looking up in the queue. Beauty is, there is only 1 way out šŸ˜³. Funny thing is, loved it so much, went back around and did it again.

Slow and steady wins the race. šŸ‘šŸ»
Oh, no question that I would do it. Iā€™m just saying that even that picture is frightening!
Sponsored

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
These things are amazing! We have gone on trips pulling a small camper thousands of miles. Then during the day hit a level 8 or 9 trail. We use a tent when we go to places the camper can't go.

There are times it performs better on a trail than Wranglers. Depends on the trail characteristics. We did Holy Cross with a couple of Wranglers that both had to winch where the Gladiator walked right up. Other times you can get high centered more easily. Overall it is really good on trails. Even with a full bed and a tent up top!

It will blow away any IFS truck you might consider on more difficult trails. The downside is the road manners are not quite as good. Nothing that bothers me as we've done a lot of long distance trips and were happy with the highway manners.

Last edited:

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Goes everywhere my Wrangler on 40ā€™s goes. Just gotta lift it a bit more and understand the bed will scrape. Lines are a bit different, too. Love my truck.
This. I just got back fro Winter 4x4 Jamboree at Sand Hollow. My gladiator was there as a support vehicle and I spotted for my buddy in a built JL. We had one Gladiator in our group. It was a Sport that was built on Tons and 40s. 3 1/2 Teraflex suspension. I was amazed at how many obstacles he cleared but man it was stressful hearing all that scraping. A hitch skid is the best thing you can get. That and full skids. Even so, I wouldnā€™t do the trails we did with a Gladiator.

azaustin

First Name
Willliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2014 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired
I think it all depends on your mission. We donā€™t do anything really difficult in our Gladiator Rubicon (diesel). It was purchased because we wanted to tow a small travel trailer and still have some decent off-road capability. It does that well and still meets our needs off-road. I traded on our 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon for this truck, and the Wrangler was a little better off-road due to itā€˜s shorter wheelbase, but not much. The new Truck (2021) rides much better and is a lot more stable on the highway, and tows the trailer very straight with a load-equalizing hitch. Despite some reliability issues, it was a good decision and I really like the truck. Some of the service issues were dealer-induced, but are fixed now. One of the reasons I bought more off-road vehicle than I needed was that my partner is not always in the best of health, and I never wanted to be stuck because my vehicle couldnā€™t pull itself out of a tough trail. Itā€™s something everyone should consider. I can hike out, she canā€™t. Choose your vehicle to fit your needs. Mine does..

Sponsored

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor
So Iā€™m in a Colorado ZR2 currently but am looking for a gladiator for the better off-road performance and easier mods like lifting it and fitting larger tires. Was just curious how impressed you are with your gladiator off road, itā€™s going to be my do it all vehicle so I need some utility but would also like to be able to off-road some moderate to harder trails. I know all about the wheelbase and all that stuff so no need to go into that but I need a bed and to be able to tow so a wrangler really isnā€™t an option. Thanks!
Best all-around platform IMO. You get the bed, legendary Jeep off-road pedigree, huge aftermarket support, towing ability, and driveability. I DD mine, wheel it, tow with it, road-trip with it, and donā€™t have a single complaint. Couldnā€™t be happier with the platform.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Definitely impressed with how well the Gladiator wheels. When we got out first JT, I was worried about the extra length, but after 3-4 wheeling trips, I was thinking ok, I could live with this.

Now a few years later and having wheeled 3 different JTs, I think they are one of the best newer 4x4s you can get. Even the wife likes them and will probably be getting one in the next couple years.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Off-road Capability Malo-Posed

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link
I hit up most of the difficult & extreme trails in Moab, UT, including completing Pratchett Canyon in a Gladiator.

The Gladiator performed better over there than most of the shorter wheel base vehicles. However its bit of a bus if you're trying to make tight turns and it can get high centered easier.

WambliSka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2022
Occupation
Business Development
For what it's worth, I've owned a 2004 Rubicon, a 2006 Rocky Mountain Edition and a 2012 JKU, all of them lifted with oversized tires. I now own a JT Overland with the regular LT road factory tires and I Iive in the mountains and spend a LOT of time outdoors. I'm a hiker, hunter, fisherman and all around outdoor enthusiast. My JT hauls all my gear to anywhere I want to go and I can still take along the wife and dog in comfort.

Like most folks, my Jeep is my DD and spends most of my drive time on regular roads and highway and for the FIRST time my wife does not fight me when I say "Let's take my car" when we go out.

I have taken my new (May 22) ride on local relatively challenging dirt roads, mud, snow and mild off-road without EVER missing any of my old Jeeps. I'll be moving to AZ this summer and will be spending a LOT of time roaming to out of the way places and to be honest, my only mod will be switching the factory tires to 33" ATs and that's it. I MIGHT get slightly "better" shocks than OEM but I'm not sacrificing the sweet ride on the highway, my wife would kill me. And, I don't think I need to go anywhere where that setup won't get me.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
So Iā€™m in a Colorado ZR2 currently but am looking for a gladiator for the better off-road performance and easier mods like lifting it and fitting larger tires. Was just curious how impressed you are with your gladiator off road, itā€™s going to be my do it all vehicle so I need some utility but would also like to be able to off-road some moderate to harder trails. I know all about the wheelbase and all that stuff so no need to go into that but I need a bed and to be able to tow so a wrangler really isnā€™t an option. Thanks!
Coming from a Tacoma TRDPro I would say the JTR is by far a better off-road vehicle - front and rear lockers, disconnecting stabilizer bar, higher lift, 33" tires, better skid plate coverage, removable doors and top, heated steering wheel, plus many options from the factory.

Sponsored

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
I have pulled 2 feet of snow at 15Ā° at 4000 foot elevation, climbed 20Ā° in soft dirt Ā° clawed my way up 11Ā° in solid mud , They will go !!!! . I ALWAYS say bring it on !!!​

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
Lots of fluffy filler, but worthwhile to see some of the stuff the Gladiator in this group does in this video: Ozark Overland Adventures - Colorado

It's a very well equipped JT, but I thought there were a few good segments worth watching.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
This. I just got back fro Winter 4x4 Jamboree at Sand Hollow. My gladiator was there as a support vehicle and I spotted for my buddy in a built JL. We had one Gladiator in our group. It was a Sport that was built on Tons and 40s. 3 1/2 Teraflex suspension. I was amazed at how many obstacles he cleared but man it was stressful hearing all that scraping. A hitch skid is the best thing you can get. That and full skids. Even so, I wouldnā€™t do the trails we did with a Gladiator.
It's just more stressful to be honest -- but we've run everything in Moab outside of Pritchett which we'll be running this upcoming EJS. I prefer my 4 door though, and my stretched JK even more. For trails anyway. Now for easy stuff where you can just haul/camping/etc, Gladiator all the way. But as you said, surprising how capable they are.

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I work a blue collar job and need the bed to haul around stuff and am looking at getting a small travel trailer for my wife and I
In the 10 months Iā€™ve had my JT Rubicon 3.6, I have around 1,500 miles on it towing several different travel trailers up to about 26ā€™, a 23ā€™ pontoon boat, and a 16ā€™ flatbed. I can honestly say that I am impressed with the towing ability. It gets better mileage while towing than either my F150 or F250 diesel did pulling the same things. It is also my daily driver and I haul all sorts of things in the bed. You may have to get a little creative to carry certain things but so far I havenā€™t needed to haul anything I couldnā€™t figure out. I canā€™t speak about serious offroad trails but mine with its stock suspension has no trouble getting around my land. Iā€™ve crossed washed out creeks in it and rescued a couple of trucks buried down to the frame in sand with no trouble at all. I have no regrets at all giving up a full size truck for the smaller Gladiator

bbelew

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I have wanted a Gladiator ever since they came out and 2 months ago I finally got one. I am not new to Jeep I have had a 1995 YJ, A 2013 Wrangler, and a 2018 Jeep JL. In these two months Ihave put a bed cover, LED headlights, light covers, tail light covers, American flags down the sides, American flags over the vents, a stubby bumper, a 9,000 lb winch, a stubby antennia, and last but actually first a cold air intake (this is a must). I say all this to say be prepared for the mods. I did all this myself in two months and next Monday I'm getting 35" tires a dual stabileizer and levling kit. I love my Gladiator and I am a mudder so it has been exposed to some pretty sticky situations in these two months. Welcme to the group and good luck. You know JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket LOL
Sponsored