dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, starrsRN -- Jeep better accelerate the release of Gladiator pricing soon...
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Looks like the market is slowly going back to the "bubble design" of the 1990s. Another reason the Gladiator is going to rock. I like for my trucks to look like a truck.

Oh, and don't bother going to Ranger5G to get information. They do heavy censorship over there, and try to keep everything 100% positive regarding the 2019 truck. It's very difficult for a shopper to get the good, bad, and ugly and make an informed decision over there.

So far, the JL and JT forum has been considerably better about allowing honest reviews and opinions on the vehicles to be posted, which is great for those of us who are in the market for these midsize 4x4s and we're looking to drop a lot of money on one.

OP
OP
lrtexasman

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I have been all over the Ranger, Tacoma, and Ridgeline (dont bust on me too hard) , and JT forums with the rollout of all four trucks. IMO the JT is significanly more truck when comparing the Sport S trim to the other mid-trim level trucks. It isnt even close pertaining to axles and suspension. I am 100% in agreement with WXman regarding fanboys on the other forums being overlly protective of their preferred brand. I get we all want to be excited about the truck we buy, but it's okay to discuss the limitations and issues. If anything it helps others decide on what they have to have and what they can live with. For me, I want to have a rugged (design), functional (rear seat), and capable (Dana 44s, 410, 7650 towing, 1600lb payload), crew cab with at least a 5' bed that fits two adults in the back seat; all under 220" long and no wider than 78" ( I would have preferred a few more inches on the width to lay that plywood flat between the wheelwells). My downside is going to be average fuel economy, average ride, cabin noise, and potential reliability issues. As a side note, I think the 2021 Ranger is going to have all the innovations we were expecting on the 2019 and will be a tough competitor for the JT (Raptor version). The current Ranger T6 is a solid platform, but cutting edge engineering and functionality wise it is not. That is to be expected as it has been around since 2011 (new powertrain). Toyota just isnt going to mess with their Tacoma powertrain, so the Tacoma performance wise either works for you or it doesnt. That leaves me solidly in the JT ranks. I know I am probably going to have audio gremlins and multiple software updates (electric steering) to get through, but I sure see a lot of 2007 - 2010 180k mile JKs running around and selling for over 13k. That gives me hope that the JT will be worth getting through the first year gremlins to end up with something iconic to own. I am sheepishly thankfull for the JL owners who are beta testing many of our our JT components, which will hopefull make our ownership that much more pleasurable. The parts that are different, frame, suspension, seat fixtures, ect, really aren't that hard to troubleshoot (other than the whole death wobble issue). I really hope to keep the JT for as long as I can drive.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
...average ride... I prefer the jeep 'ride feel'. Don't like the boaty mcboat feel of lane wanderers. Don't want to miss any road signals, ie want to feel the groove and edge I'm on. Maybe that's more tires.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Just read where Ford has hired a third party to investigate their calculations for their mileage claims. There is a growing complaint that the mileage numbers are severely overstated.....

TFL just posted a video on the mileage they got driving the Ranger from LA to Denver...over 1000 miles. Yes it was uphill but they averaged a miserable 19.5 mpg compared to the 24 mpg posted on the Mulroney label...

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Just read where Ford has hired a third party to investigate their calculations for their mileage claims. There is a growing complaint that the mileage numbers are severely overstated.....

TFL just posted a video on the mileage they got driving the Ranger from LA to Denver...over 1000 miles. Yes it was uphill but they averaged a miserable 19.5 mpg compared to the 24 mpg posted on the Mulroney label...
was that the ranger, i thought it was the ram that was terrible?......
EDIT: Apparently both the rebel and ranger are bad.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/re...ted-result-after-a-1000-mile-road-trip-video/

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
B9FFC91B-836D-41A2-AAB9-C83A89315680.png
Taken from the ranger forum.
It’s a nice looking truck with 33s and a lift. The tranny issue sucks but I think they have that fixed. It’s down to 2 choices for me now.
That Ranger looks awesome!!!!! What kind of lift did you put on it. I'd buy that over the Gladitor any day of the week!!!!

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
That Ranger looks awesome!!!!! What kind of lift did you put on it. I'd buy that over the Gladitor any day of the week!!!!
That’s just a spacer lift and 33s.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
....Which is extremely common with the entire "Eco"Boost engine family from 2011 to current date.

They can't simply make an engine smaller, then stuff it full of air with turbos so that it'll make decent power, and expect to use less fuel. It doesn't work that way.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
If you want a good laugh check out this video’s review...particularly the rear seat area..

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dear God don't post that at the Ranger5g.com forum. They'll ban you before the page even refreshes. Lol.

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
LOL....The rear seat is a joke?!!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Beware little lambs . . . could still be a sheep in wolves clothing !
Sponsored