Sponsored

Gladiator versus Ford Ranger

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yeah, I honestly don’t know where this ‘as long as an F-150’ narrative came from, but I’ve been hearing it literally since the day the JT was introduced.
Which is funny, because the dimensions have been known for some time and are stickied on the general forum.
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Yeah, I honestly don’t know where this ‘as long as an F-150’ narrative came from, but I’ve been hearing it literally since the day the JT was introduced.
Yea . . . the more important measurements for the JT, being an off road Gem, would be the Departure angle created by the rear wheel overhang & the ride height . The wheelbase is a factor more for those wanting to "force-compare" the JT to one of the "Mid-Shitters" ! The 150's & 1500's are in a Different League; apples to oranges.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It came from the fact that I had a Supercrew F-150 that I traded in for my current JLU, and I measured it extensively to make sure it would fit in the garage of the new house the wife and I built in 2017. So, I'm very familiar with how long a full size truck actually is. And the Gladiator is "nearly as long as an F-150" simply because, well, it's nearly as long as an F-150.

Bottom line is that the Gladiator is huge compared to everything else in it's class, so it's really hard to compare it to a Ranger, Colorado, or Tacoma.

OP
OP
lrtexasman

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
To each his own. The JT is a midsize by industry standards. It is even much narrower than a Ridgeline.

JT L 218” W 73.8”
Ranger 211” 86” reported but it’s not that wide
Taco 212.3” 75.2”
Colorado 212.7” 74.3”
Ridgeline 210” 79”
F150 231.9 79.9
Silverado 232”. 81”

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
To each his own. The JT is a midsize by industry standards. It is even much narrower than a Ridgeline.

JT L 218” W 73.8”
Ranger 211” 86” reported but it’s not that wide
Taco 212.3” 75.2”
Colorado 212.7” 74.3”
Ridgeline 210” 79”
F150 231.9 79.9
Silverado 232”. 81”
14" less than Silverado =)

Limamikemike

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Powerwagon
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
;)My wife says longer and wider is better.

I’m pretty sure she was talking about the truck.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
;)My wife says longer and wider is better.

I’m pretty sure she was talking about the truck.
Either way you win. If she knows that much about trucks she's cool. If she doesn't :blush:

Sponsored

OP
OP
lrtexasman

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Hey so why does everyone's list of alternates not includes any of these?
I think because the Sport/Sport S JTs pretty much does everything for an outdoor enthusiast so well that you really have to jump into specialty vehicles (TRD Pro,ZR2 Bison, Raptor, ect) from the various manufactures to compete against it. For me, the base JT is beyond what i need to access outdoor locations. The rear seat functionality is what stands out against the other mid-size competitors (except the Ridgeline which doesnt have enough guts for me) and pushes it to the top. I will have to go to a full size truck, which I don't really want to do, to get the functionality I need in a vehicle for hauling rear passengers, dog, and gear. I accept the fact at this point that I will pay full size truck money for a mid-size. It's a compromise I've come to peace with. Same goes with a potentially rougher ride (holding out hope the Ram rear suspension DNA comes through here) and the occasional reliability glitch that may or may not raise it's head with a 1st year roll out (JL lessons learned will help). I am hoping to downsize from my Tahoe and Tundra to one vehicle that does it all.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I think because the Sport/Sport S JTs pretty much does everything for an outdoor enthusiast so well that you really have to jump into specialty vehicles (TRD Pro,ZR2 Bison, Raptor, ect) from the various manufactures to compete against it. For me, the base JT is beyond what i need to access outdoor locations. The rear seat functionality is what stands out against the other mid-size competitors (except the Ridgeline which doesnt have enough guts for me) and pushes it to the top. I will have to go to a full size truck, which I don't really want to do, to get the functionality I need in a vehicle for hauling rear passengers, dog, and gear. I accept the fact at this point that I will pay full size truck money for a mid-size. It's a compromise I've come to peace with. Same goes with a potentially rougher ride (holding out hope the Ram rear suspension DNA comes through here) and the occasional reliability glitch that may or may not raise it's head with a 1st year roll out (JL lessons learned will help). I am hoping to downsize from my Tahoe and Tundra to one vehicle that does it all.
Thank you for putting that into words. I don't need a full size, don't want a midsize, just here for the Jeep Truck. If it's kick ass, and it is, I'm in. When depends on price. Which trim depends on function. It will be a fun times decision.
Sponsored