Gorilla glass or not?

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
I just did a 3,200 mile road trip to Colorado and back to Alabama and thought for sure my GG was going to bite the dust. But it actually held up. Colorado is very harsh on windshields. But when this GG finally fails, I'm going Hyperformance windshield. But so far after 6 months and 8K miles, it's still going strong.
Sponsored

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
It's proven time and time again to be a waste of money........save the money for your first windshield replacement lol
100% agree! I only got it because it was a $95 option at the time, 2 massive cracks later, their "warranty" doesn't cover it.

WambliSka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2022
Occupation
Business Development
Gorilla Glass is absolute JUNK!!!!! Broke when a freaking pebble hit it on the highway. Wasn't even that big a pebble!!!

And the warranty that is actually published online that MOPAR offers on the glass is USELES!!! They are supposed to fix/replace if you get a road hazard break under 2" for a period of 2 years. Dealer sent the pictures to Jeep they said that MY damage was cause by a large rock (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY CAN ACTUALLY TELL THAT, AND IT WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT) and they refused to cover it. Thank God I have great insurance and they will replace my windshield with whatever was OEM so SafeLite replaced it with another original Gorilla Glass with all the Jeep junk and serial number on it for my deductible. BUT I was THAT close to asking them for a mother brand so the swindlers at Corning would not get the money for more snake oil...

BTW, there are tons of videos and testimonials online including many threads here (one of them mine) about how bad GG/Jeep sucks...

So in summary, get a refund and use the money on a good upgrade for the Jeep, not the crap Gorilla Glass.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I thought for sure the GG in my three-week-old Gladiator was toast yesterday when I caught a rock on the interstate. Luckily I was taking an exit and had slowed down to about 50 MPH when I heard that sickening *POP* and I SAW the rock (maybe a half-inch in diameter) bounce off. I’ve looked pretty closely and can’t find a chip or crack (yet). 🤷‍♂️

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, there are tons of videos and testimonials online including many threads here (one of them mine) about how bad GG/Jeep sucks...
HAHA - internet "testimonials".
No one gets it, even after pages and posts of what it does and does not do.
But the youtube certified glass experts (because they have over 100 followers) sure know.
Where does it say that it prevents ALL chips and ALL cracks?
Out of 100, you are likely to have 60 fewer cracks needing attention. It never anywhere says "prevents 100%, you will never have a crack or chip"
If I get 10, and half of them turn to nothing, then it's been "worth it" (especially since insurance pays anyway)
So much hate for what people don't understand - and prefer not to.
Big rock hit - your kids, you and your wife won't have glass in your eyes. Big accident, you don't have to pay for plastic surgery to restore your wife's face from the sharp glass - as there won't be any.
You'll take a few rock hits and get no damage at all.
But there will still be those that are just right - or wrong - and break it anyway and of course - then it will be worthless because you expect total 100% chip-proof glass. (*because you never did the research and looked into facts)

Better, faster defrosting/defogging - worth it to me.
Good chance of surviving at least 50% of typical rock hits - worth it.
Lighter weight - that's a good thing, IMO
Better clarity, a positive.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. It's truly that simple - but to spread bad information, even lies from stupidtube or "testimonials" that are wrong because they just don't get it and expected bullet proof?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I read that GG is also "quieter"- can't find it now.
Do beware - some AUTO BLOGS and so-called online auto magazines claim a lot of bull about GG. One even says "it's smoother so will be better for MPG"
Really? So a glass that's smoother in the cabin helps with mpg?
I wonder where some of the stuff out there comes from! Seriously, even one blog about the auto glass industry says "it's impervious to stone chips" and I laughed out loud! Good grief - even Corning doesn't say that!
These idiots on the web need to READ and study and learn. I'd say as much as 3/4 of the "information" out there about GG is crap, wrong or worse. There's some great info, like the video of the myth busters demonstrating how it's made and what it does - and doesn't do. That's facts there. But then there's another one where a guy is at an auto trade show and takes a piece of GG and hits it with a hammer and it doesn't break. I wanted to write him and suggest that next time he take that same hammer to the windshields on the show floor and see if he gets the same results. Seriously, he's trying to scratch and break a piece of Gorilla Glass and he can't scratch it or break it. DUH. But the thing is that the GG layer is in the cab, not where the wipers run over it.
So it reduces the stresses experienced by the outer layer of glass. It dulls impacts, absorbs energy. So small chips will still happen on the OUTER layer but bigger impacts, like hail, will likely result in little to no damage.

Jeep Gladiator Gorilla glass or not? 1669749602391

T-rex extra......... not part of MOPAR

Jeep Gladiator Gorilla glass or not? 1669749640218

WambliSka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2022
Occupation
Business Development
HAHA - internet "testimonials".
No one gets it, even after pages and posts of what it does and does not do.
But the youtube certified glass experts (because they have over 100 followers) sure know.
Where does it say that it prevents ALL chips and ALL cracks?
Out of 100, you are likely to have 60 fewer cracks needing attention. It never anywhere says "prevents 100%, you will never have a crack or chip"
If I get 10, and half of them turn to nothing, then it's been "worth it" (especially since insurance pays anyway)
So much hate for what people don't understand - and prefer not to.
Big rock hit - your kids, you and your wife won't have glass in your eyes. Big accident, you don't have to pay for plastic surgery to restore your wife's face from the sharp glass - as there won't be any.
You'll take a few rock hits and get no damage at all.
But there will still be those that are just right - or wrong - and break it anyway and of course - then it will be worthless because you expect total 100% chip-proof glass. (*because you never did the research and looked into facts)

Better, faster defrosting/defogging - worth it to me.
Good chance of surviving at least 50% of typical rock hits - worth it.
Lighter weight - that's a good thing, IMO
Better clarity, a positive.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. It's truly that simple - but to spread bad information, even lies from stupidtube or "testimonials" that are wrong because they just don't get it and expected bullet proof?
I dint want it, it came with my Gladiator. I would have never paid for snake oil after all the stories and bad reviews I’ve read on the internet but I had no choice it was already stuck on the Jeep I wanted.

My experience is me experience. Small pebble hit it shortly after I bought my Jeep, and cracked WELL beyond anything I’d experienced before with any of my 3 previous Jeeps. Jeep wiped their ass with the “warranty“ leaving me with no recourse and a more expensive replacement if I wanted to keep my Jeep to factory configuration. I contacted Corning TWICE and NO ONE ever got back to me. Jeep wanted $1,300 for a replacement!!! Screw them…

Thank God my insurance is great and they replaced OEM for my deductible and SafeLite only charged $800 To my insurance. Otherwise I would have never bought that junk glass again. I only got it to keep the car original.

You‘re an expert and fanboy? Good for you! Means nothing to me and all the others that have gotten burned by Corning/Jeep with this useless “upgrade”. Enjoy the color glossy brochure. As for me, I will never trust a company that had to pay $3.8 BILLION dollars to pay a settlement against all the women they made sick and killed with their implants while covering it up.

And to the OP, that original windshield they charged you for probably broke during transportation from the factory. Not too many other explanations fit. Yes, they are that bad…

Last edited:

Partysub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 sting gray mojave
I'm mixed on this, but leaning towards worth it. I'm in Utah and there are tons of gravel trucks that drop rocks all over the freeway to the point that it seems like a hobby for them. My previous truck got hit by a rock about the size of a golf ball that took out the windshield. I've had my gladiator for about a year now and I have taken at least a dozen hits that made me duck they were so loud and there was nothing more than a tiny chip. Of course last night while sitting in traffic during a snow storm I heard a very loud pop, which was odd because no one was moving for several minutes. I looked at the bottom of my windshield right by the driver side wiper and I had the same Y shaped crack that I've seen on these forums before. It's directly where the deforst vent blows on the windshield. I guess I'll find out if they will warranty it, but im not holding my breath

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
I'm mixed on this, but leaning towards worth it. I'm in Utah and there are tons of gravel trucks that drop rocks all over the freeway to the point that it seems like a hobby for them. My previous truck got hit by a rock about the size of a golf ball that took out the windshield. I've had my gladiator for about a year now and I have taken at least a dozen hits that made me duck they were so loud and there was nothing more than a tiny chip. Of course last night while sitting in traffic during a snow storm I heard a very loud pop, which was odd because no one was moving for several minutes. I looked at the bottom of my windshield right by the driver side wiper and I had the same Y shaped crack that I've seen on these forums before. It's directly where the deforst vent blows on the windshield. I guess I'll find out if they will warranty it, but im not holding my breath
I ended up going with a windshield film on mine: https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield

It wouldn't help against what sounds like a defroster/heat difference breaking your windshield during that snow storm, though. But it would help with those gravel trucks.

DickensCPA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Avalanche / 2004 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CPA
As a gorilla glass owner, when mine breaks I'm replacing it with standard glass. Not worth the replacement. I'd fight for a spray on bedliner.
Ditto, I picked my new Wrangler up Sept 2nd with GG and by Oct I have two chip "stars" that look like they have the makings to crack and spread once our southern weather starts getting colder and I use the defrost.

For the life of me I can't remember a single incident where I heard a rock or anything hit the windshield.

Sponsored

sloowhand

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Overland
What would Morty say - Aw Geez?

I'm minding my own business, reading this thread Monday night, smug in the knowledge that my replacement GG windshield is now well over a year old, almost 15 months. Who's having these problems, not me!

Until Tuesday afternoon. Apparently my rugged good looks were enough to start a run, beginning on the left side and passing right in front of my pupils.

From now on I'm only going to read about what tires to buy or what oil to use...

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
I was only reading to see what the dealer said. Thread is now 8 days old... been to the dealer yet?

OP
OP

COJeepNewb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The dealer is going to replace the windshield with GG. No one at the dealer wants to disclose how it ended up with a Safelite replacement. :headbang:

I have an appt. at the end of December to have it installed. According to the service advisor, the service dept. is slammed and down two techs.

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
No one at the dealer wants to disclose how it ended up with a Safelite replacement. :headbang:
Funny, that part... My new one was help up between production and bedliner stuff. Dealer said it possibly could have been damaged or something. Absolutely no one could ever tell us what happened.
Sponsored