Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted Gorilla glass because of the extreme safety factor in accidents where the windshield is compromised.
It's about 30% lighter, and it is much safer when larger objects hit the glass.
With conventional glass, the inside layer next to your face literally breaks into tiny shards that are sent flying back at you by the force of the impact.
The object's energy has to go somewhere. It doesn't just go away because that object stops. The energy is transferred to the glass - causing it to flex, bend. The inside layer breaks into sharp pieces and some of the energy of the object that hit you is imparted into that glass and it's driven into your face, even back into the back seat where your kids are.
Gorilla glass bends, it won't break. That means if a 5 pound piece of steel from a scrap metal truck hits your windshield, you won't have glass buried in your eyes and face and your rear seat passengers will be safe. GG won't bust into shards and go flying.
So the real benefit of GG is SAFETY. Some day I would BET on it being required, not an option, due to the extreme safety factors.
That, and the 30% lighter means the car companies have a great way to lighten a car or truck and meet the CAFE/EPA rogue state requirements easier.

Bubbles in the glass are a warranty thing. We had glass replaced on my wife's 2018 Grand Cherokee because of bubbles in the inner layers. Warranty.
Windshields especially must meet really very strict requirements so can't have any defects like that.
Sponsored

Jesnamy01

First Name
Jesse and Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2022 Gladiator Sport S
Just came back from dealer with mine as I got a crack Tuesday am. Didn’t even look at it. They said I get 1 free replacement. They have it ordered and said they’ve been getting it within 5-10 days.
wife has had it in her Jeep (aftermarket but Mopar gorilla glass) for over a year and no issues. I’ve had mine since June.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Gorilla glass bends, it won't break. That means if a 5 pound piece of steel from a scrap metal truck hits your windshield, you won't have glass buried in your eyes and face and your rear seat passengers will be safe. GG won't bust into shards and go flying.
So the real benefit of GG is SAFETY.
Is that true?!? Wow... I wanted it at first because I assumed that it was significantly stronger than normal glass, but after reading on here how it doesn't seem to make much difference in the frequency of cracks/chips I was ambivalent about it... didn't really care if I got it or not. The Gladiator I ended up buying DOES have it though... so if this is true, that's a big plus.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
*Edit - I got fact checked on the layer order, but everything else is still real news*

I've seen mixed reviews on how much tougher the Mopar GG is... I have the HGP version, and I will personally vouch for its strength and toughness. The difference between the two is whether the GG layer is on the inside (HGP) or outside (Mopar) of the windsheild.

I'm another vote for getting a refund, and when that one busts in the next year, replace it with the HGP.

Hyperformance® Glass Products (hyperformanceglassproducts.com)

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The difference between the two is whether the GG layer is on the inside (HGP) or outside (Mopar) of the windsheild.
The Gorilla Glass layer is cab-side, inside, by your face, regardless.

There's a soda lime glass layer on the outside, facing the sun, then the typical center layer, then the Gorilla Glass.

I've posted multiple times on how they are made, the various layers, and where the GG layer is - always in your face, not on the outside.
I've posted videos of the testing as well.

HGP and MOPAR windshields both have the GG on the inside, not facing the rain.

But - here we go (again LOL)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen mixed reviews on how much tougher the Mopar GG is... I have the HGP version, and I will personally vouch for its strength and toughness.
Here's the problem with people saying that one is better or worse based only on the fact one broke and the other didn't.
It's totally unreliable. There's always a good chance that the "other" would have not broken with that specific hit (or there's always a good chance that the other WOULD have also broken with that specific hit)
You can't say one lasted 2 years and the other lasted 6 months so one is obviously better.
You do not know the mass, shape, texture, speed or angle of impact so every one is different.
5 mph difference in speed at time of impact can matter, angle of impact can matter, did the object hit with a sharp edge making contact, or one more rounded?
No one can say one is better or worse because they are not comparing apples to apples.
Every single impact is different.

OP
OP

COJeepNewb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Here's the problem with people saying that one is better or worse based only on the fact one broke and the other didn't.
It's totally unreliable. There's always a good chance that the "other" would have not broken with that specific hit (or there's always a good chance that the other WOULD have also broken with that specific hit)
You can't say one lasted 2 years and the other lasted 6 months so one is obviously better.
You do not know the mass, shape, texture, speed or angle of impact so every one is different.
5 mph difference in speed at time of impact can matter, angle of impact can matter, did the object hit with a sharp edge making contact, or one more rounded?
No one can say one is better or worse because they are not comparing apples to apples.
Every single impact is different.
Right. That's where empirical testing comes into play - where the glass is tested in a controlled environment and the variables of everyday driving and biases are controlled for - to the furthest extent possible anyways. I'm not saying research can't be bad, but I'm more inclined to trust these sorts of tests than a handful of online anecdotes.

Ottoparts

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Auto worker
Hi everyone! New to the forum and Jeep communities. I picked up a new 2022 Gladiator Rubicon last week and I'm loving it so far.... but... I've become a bit skeptical on whether the windshield is actually Gorilla Glass.

The build sheet/sticker claims it's Gorilla glass but based on the pictures I've seen online, and what I've seen on my dad's Gladiator (which has the Gorilla glass windshield), I don't think it's actually installed - check out the picture of the windshield etching I attached. If this isn't the Gorilla glass, did the dealer break the windshield, replace it with aftermarket, and then sell it without saying anything?!

If this is the case, I'm going to start wondering what else they left off the truck that's listed on the sticker......

IMG_0998.jpg
Yeah it would appear you got "rillad" 🦍by the dealer. It would have a gorilla Logan and say Gorilla glass.

Mr.Wilson

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and a JL

Plenty of videos of the GG cracking. There’s a video out there of a guy driving his brand new Jeep home from the dealer that he ordered with GG and it cracked on his drive home. So to me definitely not worth the money. My OP.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Plenty of videos of the GG cracking. There’s a video out there of a guy driving his brand new Jeep home from the dealer that he ordered with GG and it cracked on his drive home. So to me definitely not worth the money. My OP.
Because a person had one break, it's not worth it?
LOL

Of course there's videos of it breaking/cracking out there. So why isn't anyone posting videos of non-GG windshields breaking at much greater rates? I wonder.
The internet always makes things look worse.

I don't get why people think it's break-proof!

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The Gorilla Glass layer is cab-side, inside, by your face, regardless.

There's a soda lime glass layer on the outside, facing the sun, then the typical center layer, then the Gorilla Glass.

I've posted multiple times on how they are made, the various layers, and where the GG layer is - always in your face, not on the outside.
I've posted videos of the testing as well.

HGP and MOPAR windshields both have the GG on the inside, not facing the rain.

But - here we go (again LOL)

Because a person had one break, it's not worth it?
LOL

Of course there's videos of it breaking/cracking out there. So why isn't anyone posting videos of non-GG windshields breaking at much greater rates? I wonder.
The internet always makes things look worse.

I don't get why people think it's break-proof!
*Mic drop.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
NOT - according to my glass expert.

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator, 95 Toyota DLX, 69 VW Beetle,
get your money back or have them do a spray in bed liner....jeep glass breaks period, the windshield is almost vertical ....GG warranty is void if factory installed, just learned and went through this disappointment not long ago

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
NOT - according to my glass expert.
"NOT" what?

Glass expert?
He/she works at Corning? Works in the insurance industry?
Or installs glass? (making them an expert)

Mine does (works in the glass industry)......... R&D.

"worth" is a very personal thing. NO ONE can tell you if something is "worth it" or not. No one.
To me it's VERY worth it - it's absolutely less prone to breakage from a large class of impacts, plus it's very much safer for occupants in event of an accident.
I've been in accidents where the glass ended up clear into the very rear of the hatch area in a hatch back. Anyone in the path of that glass would be wearing the scars to this day. Luckily, it was only me, and that part of the windshield miraculously survived. (but the side windows were blown out and glass was several yards away)
Working in the industry (automotive, repair, towing, etc.) Iv'e seen my share of strange things.
I opted for a 30% lighter glass that's got better clarity and is far safer.
What people are experiencing are small impacts that chip the outer layer of soda lime glass which then later ends up cracking.
With GG on the inside, it's not going to cover sandblasting, and minor impacts that cause small chips or certain other damage.

No one has ever said it's 100% - but it is about 60% or so better as far as avoiding damage.

One other advantage for those in Iowa, MN and so on - FASTER defrost! The lower MASS of the glass means that a defroster clears the windshield faster than a conventional windshield.
Gorilla Glass windshields are a lot better in winter if for no other reason - faster defrost, quicker heating of the glass, faster clearing of nice and snow and frost and fog.

But no one, not on a forum especially where armchair experts reside, can say anything is "worth it or not".
Only the person directly involved can weigh the pros and cons and see if one side outweighs the other for THEM.
For me - worth it. Defrosting these can be fun in the winter. And because they sit more upright, snow tends to stick more readily, it doesn't just slide right up and over like on a Grand Cherokee.

It must be worth it - the whole industry is heavily involved, especially Ford (among others)

But Jeep drivers know more about glass - there's anecdotal evidence to prove it. 😁

Little_Feller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Overland
I made it about 6 months before the inevitable "POP" on the interstate, and immediately I had a bubble in the glass right in front of my driver's view. Was wondering if this is what Gorilla glass is supposed to do, instead of chipping or cracking?
Sponsored