Sponsored

Iddpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD
Been watching the end of year 2023 JT discounts and enjoying a Buddy's JTD for several years, so took the plunge (and the discounts) on a 23 JTRD. I've had several Jeeps over the years (JL, JK's, TJ's and an older CJ) and just finished a two year+ build on a JLUR (3.6, 3.5" EVO/Kings, Currie 1 tons, 4:88's, 37's) - now sold.

Decided I had to have a diesel while I could still get one new, but couldn't commit another 2+ years to a build due to family and work commitments. To get started I fast tracked the big stuff at my local shop so that I can get to towing a small teardrop trailer and overlanding. (More changes will come as time permits, but I'm now on the road).

Therefore I wanted to detail some of the changes in this build, and hopefully get some input for future improvements / add-ons!

So since we'll be heading West, the big items for me were strengthening the front, gearing and clearance, all while keeping the COG a little lower for towing.

Initial Build:
Clayton Offroad Diesel 1.5" Overland Plus with Currie Currect-Lync Steering and Falcon SP2 3.3 2-3" JT Diesel Shocks. (This has netted approx. 3.5" in the front and 2" in the rear)
Dana 4:56 gears (Just on 2000 RPM at 70-75mph)
RCV Performance Ultimate CV Axles
Reid Racing Knuckles (I know the JT comes with steel but this future proofs for flipped drag link options when I go to a taller lift)
Dynatrac Ball Joints
Artec APEX front axle armor kit/truss
Adams front and rear drive shafts with 1350's
Synergy front and rear extended steel brake lines
Synergy sector shaft brace
ARB Diff covers
Tazer
Dirty Life Wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37x12.5X17

To complete the initial look I also added a winch and Next Venture front bumper/guard plus the mandatory mats, covers and additional locks. A big improvement to "turbo lag" was the addition of a pedal commander.

Here's where I started.

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell at Dealer

And where I am now.

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell After

The Build:

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Build Gears and Truss

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Build Reids

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Build Front Falcon

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Build Driveshaft 1350

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Rear Suspension

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Build Rear Falcon

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Reids and RCV

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Front Steering - Sectore Shaft Brac

Completion of the initial build:

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Final Side View

Jeep Gladiator "GrayBell" JTRD Build GrayBell Final Front Sid

Continuing Build:
Make some more money because it is a Jeep!
Will evaluate strengthening the rear (chromoly rear axle shafts?)
Bed rack
Lighting
Spare tire mount
Sponsored

Last edited:

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
That is a sweet ride! The diesel is AWESOME! Congrats!

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Very nice. I started with a mopar lift but am starting to game plan my next phase to include many of the components you listed. It looks awesome!

JBerd81

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2021 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Welder/Steamfitter
That’s a nice JTRD!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Iddpaul

Iddpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD
Very nice. I started with a mopar lift but am starting to game plan my next phase to include many of the components you listed. It looks awesome!
Thanks, appreciate your comments. I'm really happy with the Clayton Lift and the Falcons, the ride is excellent! I've done AEV, RK and EVO on past rides, and I'm extremely happy with quality, ride and support from Clayton. I was going with the Clayton 2.5" lift but the height I've got now is perfect for our overlanding trips! The forum and comments are great as I'm now reading every post for recommendations on a bed rack.

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much, you're correct, this little "tractor" is awesome and IMO well worth putting money into - super happy!
If you figure out how to stop “putting money into” it, please let me know.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Tastefully done! Did you relocate the spare?

Also, what did you do with your stock knuckles? I've been looking at swapping to steel, maybe there's a deal to be had?

Bocephus!

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Weld Engineer
Great looking Truck Looks very similar to mine!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Iddpaul

Iddpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD
Tastefully done! Did you relocate the spare?

Also, what did you do with your stock knuckles? I've been looking at swapping to steel, maybe there's a deal to be had?
Thanks so much. The spare is an issue, the Nitto's / rims don't fit under the truck unless I remove the heat shield and then the track bar clearance is super close. Not the way I want to go so I'm looking at either a rack mount or even the AEV JT tire bed holder, still looking at options so in the interim the spare is in the bed! Worst case I may look at a different tire for mounting underneath.

Re my take-off parts, you would be welcome to any of them but unfortunately I've already given them to one of the young guy's at the shop since he's doing his own build.

Reddout99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 80th Anniversary JT Sport S
Occupation
Cad Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, nice work man. Great components & looks too!

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Thanks so much. The spare is an issue, the Nitto's / rims don't fit under the truck unless I remove the heat shield and then the track bar clearance is super close. Not the way I want to go so I'm looking at either a rack mount or even the AEV JT tire bed holder, still looking at options so in the interim the spare is in the bed! Worst case I may look at a different tire for mounting underneath.

Re my take-off parts, you would be welcome to any of them but unfortunately I've already given them to one of the young guy's at the shop since he's doing his own build.
Shoot, it was worth a try. Thanks anyways.

I have my 38" spare in the bed of the truck utilizing an AEV tie down. It lays flat under my bed cover. There's plenty of room for daily items and when ever I need the bed for bulk (mulch, et cetera) I just take the spare out. The only time I really need all the bed space is around town for a house project. When I'm offroad and road tripping the essentials fit just fine with the spare. I have a small offroad teardrop so my need to haul camping supplies has changed quite a but over the years. It all depends on how you intend to utilize your truck. Luckily there is a pretty large aftermarket that caters to us.