First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
At this point I am undecided as trading saves me almost 4k or so in tax savings. So at this time, ordering for me would almost be a wash as just finding one and negotiating it seems.
This is where tax law sucks the big one.

I bought my previous vehicle at $32.5k, sold it for $15k. Yet I'm supposed to owe taxes? Where did I make money? And didn't I already pay tax on that thing when I bought it? ..I. .I.. to the tax codes.

Luckily there's a Carvana office only 3 hours from me (better than the 14hrs), so I had some nice leverage when I traded in my other car when I got the JT. Dealer gave me $100 less than what Carvana was offering. Granted, used cars are in high demand today.

Looking back at it, I had an Audi Q3 for $270/mo. Not too shabby. I think that's better than a lease.
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
@MPMB, don't get me started on taxes. It's like I reached a certain age and I'm obsessed with complaining about them.... Feels like a T-Mobile commercial in my head.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Is this taking in to consideration the point that any dealer should accept a tread lightly FCA Control# and get you to invoice-1%?
That is not are most dealers required to do that? I forgot about that.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I think they can choose to decline it.
With today’s market I’d say many will happily decline that. I’m in no rush. I just thought I’d maybe try to take advantage of the used market currently and maybe try to upgrade to a rubicon from the sport S, and even better if I can build one to my liking. Just hate to give up the Gobi. I like sarge Ok. I’m eyeing a couple nachos if I can work a deal. If mojito was out I would be already doing the deed.
I can sell and make a little profit but what I do make would just go back to taxes on the order. That’s why I liked the thought of trading. Oh decisions , decisions. Lol

Sponsored

alw041

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
Occupation
Self Employed
Just wanted to give everyone and update on Daniel and Gupton Motors since some people are having a hard time reaching him. I called Daniel yesterday for the first time and it went straight to voicemail. Called the dealership to connect. No answer. Right after, I emailed him that I wanted to put in an order for a 2021 JT. I got a response in less than 5 minutes. He told me to send him the build sheet of what I wanted. I sent him the build sheet, and within 10 minutes he emailed me the information on the parameters for 6%-8% below invoice. I didn't get back to him until after dinner, and I knew they would be closed. He got back to me in the morning and answered a few question, and then asked if I was ready to put down a deposit. I said yes, he emailed me the link for the deposit. The link locked me out for the deposit after it kept erroring. Called the dealer with no luck. I emailed him and less than a minute later he emailed me to call him. He answered, and we did the deposit over the phone. Super easy and fast process.

This is just my experience and perspective. He is a super super busy guy. He answers emails much more than the phone. I knew what I wanted, so I wasn't emailing him a million questions. If you know what you want and are ready to buy I think he will be very responsive via email.

Hope that helps anyone that is looking to put in an order.

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Is this taking in to consideration the point that any dealer should accept a tread lightly FCA Control# and get you to invoice-1%?
My local dealer said no to the Tread Lightly FCA Control number. They were at MSPR plus $899 ADM, paint protection, fabric protection, glass etching, etc, all the sleazy things old school dealers do. A few hours south I was able to do invoice -5% but it also had some of the high margin/low value add-ons that they would not negotiate.

At the local dealer the salesperson was nothing more than a fluffer, I am not sure he even knew he was in a jeep dealership. After we looked at the in-stock vehicle (that was close, but not what I wanted) the closer came out and put on the HARD sell. He actually said, "you WILL BE purchasing this vehicle today". Instead of walking at that point, I took him for an hour long ride on how not to sell. (I was a sales engineer for a few years early in my career, I know how to sell and how to deflect).

He did every sleazy car salesman trick in the books, I let him get down the path on each one and then slammed the door on him. It was a hoot, and when I left he was screaming at me, turnabout is fair play.

They were ~$8k higher than I payed for the vehicle from Gupton Motors.

A follow-up person called me from the local dealer a few weeks after I had taken delivery of my Gupton vehicle to see if I would like to come in and chat about buying a new jeep. I told them, thanks, but no thanks, I have been driving my new Jeep of several weeks that I purchase from another dealer at 8% under invoice.

This dealer than said well, just were do you think you will get warranty work done on your Jeep? We won't do it. I said to them, are you familiar with your contractural obligations in your dealer agreement? Have you read your service department reviews? I wouldn't darken your door. There are 25 Jeep dealers within an hour drive of my house, I will be just fine.

I then had a long talk with Jeep customer service and filed a complaint with FTC. I could care less about the pricing and their sleazy games, but threatening to denying warranty service to a legitimate customer, that is a different story.

Last edited:

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
My local dealer said no to the Tread Lightly FCA Control number. They were at MSPR plus $899 ADM, paint protection, fabric protection, glass etching, etc, all the sleazy things old school dealers do. A few hours south I was able to do invoice -5% but it also had some of the high margin/low value add-ons that they would not negotiate.

At the local dealer the salesperson was nothing more than a fluffer, I am not sure he even knew he was in a jeep dealership. After we looked at the in-stock vehicle (that was close, but not what I wanted) the closer came out and put on the HARD sell. He actually said, "you WILL BE purchasing this vehicle today". Instead of walking at that point, I took him for an hour long ride on how not to sell. (I was a sales engineer for a few years early in my career, I know how to sell and how to deflect).

He did every sleazy car salesman trick in the books, I let him get down the path on each one and then slammed the door on him. It was a hoot, and when I left he was screaming at me, turnabout is fair play.

They were ~$8k higher than I payed for the vehicle from Gupton Motors.

A follow-up person called me from the local dealer a few weeks after I had taken delivery of my Gupton vehicle to see if I would like to come in and chat about buying a new jeep. I told them, thanks, but no thanks, I have been driving my new Jeep of several weeks that I purchase from another dealer at 8% under invoice.

This dealer than said well, just were do you think you will get warranty work done on your Jeep? We won't do it. I said to them, are you familiar with your contractural obligations in your dealer agreement? Have you read your service department reviews? I wouldn't darken your door. There are 25 Jeep dealers within an hour drive of my house, I will be just fine.

I then had a long talk with Jeep customer service and filed a complaint with FTC. I could care less about the pricing and their sleazy games, but threatening to denying warranty service to a legitimate customer, others should hear about that.
:like: good on you for calling them out. Dirtbags. This dealership model really needs to go away.

Sponsored

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
KC, what dealership was that? I'm in Florida as well and want to stay away. I too also bought from Gupton.
I really don't want to mention the name, but they were not in Orlando area...

KAExcaliber

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Occupation
Na
Just wanted to give everyone and update on Daniel and Gupton Motors since some people are having a hard time reaching him. I called Daniel yesterday for the first time and it went straight to voicemail. Called the dealership to connect. No answer. Right after, I emailed him that I wanted to put in an order for a 2021 JT. I got a response in less than 5 minutes. He told me to send him the build sheet of what I wanted. I sent him the build sheet, and within 10 minutes he emailed me the information on the parameters for 6%-8% below invoice. I didn't get back to him until after dinner, and I knew they would be closed. He got back to me in the morning and answered a few question, and then asked if I was ready to put down a deposit. I said yes, he emailed me the link for the deposit. The link locked me out for the deposit after it kept erroring. Called the dealer with no luck. I emailed him and less than a minute later he emailed me to call him. He answered, and we did the deposit over the phone. Super easy and fast process.

This is just my experience and perspective. He is a super super busy guy. He answers emails much more than the phone. I knew what I wanted, so I wasn't emailing him a million questions. If you know what you want and are ready to buy I think he will be very responsive via email.

Hope that helps anyone that is looking to put in an order.
Did you need to/ already sign up for the Tread Lightly?

farmjeep

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.farmjeep.com
Vehicle(s)
47 CJ2a, 49 CJ3a 79 CJ7 2015 Cherokee 2021 JTS
Occupation
Retired
Joined the growing list here. My build won't excite most (a Sport S with every option for the TowMax). Super simple process so far. Now the wait.

And a huge thanks to the OP for this thread.
Sponsored