Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Colored spray in liner look like ass after awhile and never look that pristine clean again when put to use.
Does the lifetime warranty not cover the color?
Sponsored

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
So basically, in order to protect our new paint, we pay a shop to destroy our new paint with power sanding tools and then spray a coating over top of the freshly ruined paint. Seems totally asinine doesn't it? :CWL:

I always run bedliners in my beds too, so I'm with you guys. But you gotta' admit it's stupid to ruin the new paint and then cover it up so we'll never see it again for the life of the vehicle all in the name of "protecting the paint".

We do the same thing on the inside. We get that nice new carpet in our trucks and then we immediately cover it all up with rubber. :LOL:

Truck guys are odd, aren't we?
You're not protecting the paint. You're protecting the steel of the bed from dents and corrosion.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think I could do this to my new Jeep. The sight of them sanding the bed of my new Jeep would make me cringe LOL. I think adding this liner might cause more problems with rust not that I have any evidence but I feel like that is a good possibility, when you sand and spray and if someone doesn't do a good job and a little bit in a corner is not stuck well...
Anyways, GL to the folks who do this but this one is def not for me, more so because I am not going to be using this truck as a work truck :)
Lifetime. Warranty.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think I could do this to my new Jeep. The sight of them sanding the bed of my new Jeep would make me cringe LOL. I think adding this liner might cause more problems with rust not that I have any evidence but I feel like that is a good possibility, when you sand and spray and if someone doesn't do a good job and a little bit in a corner is not stuck well...
Anyways, GL to the folks who do this but this one is def not for me, more so because I am not going to be using this truck as a work truck :)
If you put anything in the bed, even cardboard boxes, and they slide around at all, it will scuff the paint. The only way to protect the bed's integrity is to either never put anything in it or spray a bedliner on it.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Well the really smart thing that Jeep should do would be to offer an option to have rubber floors instead of carpeted floors, should cost less, not more Jeep(if you are reading this) since they don’t have to carpet the truck. After all many here will go mud slinging with their trucks and many will pull motor boats or sail boats with their trucks. And they will all have to get out of their trucks and go into the water to connect or disconnect their boat from their trailer and then get back into their trucks with their water filled shoes to pull out from the ramp. And all of that water in their shoes would make the carpet all wet and then stinky. So why not just do what Toyota did with the F J Cruiser and make it with a rubber floor? I love that about my FJ. I just wipe it clean. And yes I know that many will go rock crawling. But hey they should try boating or mud slinging too. It’s fun!!!
Or you could just buy a set of rubber fitted slush mats.

Sponsored

Jprepp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Launch Edition, preorder)
You're not protecting the paint. You're protecting the steel of the bed from dents and corrosion.
Actually, you kind of are protecting the paint. Not the color/finish, but the primer that gives your corrosion protection. That’s why they don’t just apply bedliner to a truck. The bedliner protects from rocks, scrapes and other dings. These would remove the paint down to the substrate in small areas, which is where corrosion starts. The bedliner stops this from happening, so the pint sticks, and you don’t have corrosion. Each part of the paint system does its job, with the bedliner being just another part of that system.

As for thickness it depends on the materials. I’ve seen equivalent performance between two different manufacturers, with one being less than half the thickness of the other. If it’s the same material, then you want to go by what the manufacturer recommends. With paint more isn’t always better, you need to use the right thickness for the job.

All in all, bedliner are great, whether OEM or aftermarket.

Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
But what if the guy that is applying the factory bedliner is the guy who used to do the frame welds for the JLs after he got “relocated?”

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
But what if the guy that is applying the factory bedliner is the guy who used to do the frame welds for the JLs after he got “relocated?”
^LOL

I've had all sorts of bed liners over the years, including: factory-applied, liner dealer-applied (RhinoLiner), self-applied, and bodyshop-applied. By far the thickest and most durable was the Rhino dealer applied one (applied to the entire interior of my FJ40)...but I'm sure it added 10-15# of weight too.

It probably comes down to how hard you plan to use the truck bed. If your planned use is lightweight (i.e., weekend errands, hauling bicycles, overland & camping), then factory applied is fine and you don't have the hassle of taking it yourself to get it applied. But, if you plan to haul gravel, mulch, landscape rocks, bricks, motorcycles, or just large items of junk routinely then you should probably have your bedliner applied at a local dealer where you can confirm the coating thickness and prep process.

The team applying the factory liners in Ohio at Jeep become fairly experienced at applying liners to Gladiator beds. Which has to result in an overall better finished product not to mention some level of Jeep oversight and quality control (ha).

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It probably comes down to how hard you plan to use the truck bed. If your planned use is lightweight (i.e., weekend errands, hauling bicycles, overland & camping), then factory applied is fine and you don't have the hassle of taking it yourself to get it applied.
What about if I use hard plywood a lot? I kid, I kid

I'm going line-x for the bed, fenders, rock rails and bumpers I think. Going all out for a more uniform look. Need to look good hauling 4x8 ply.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
What about if I use hard plywood a lot? I kid, I kid

Need to look good hauling 4x8 ply.
As a high schooler in the 1980s my first vehicle was a Toyota pickup from the 1970s. My homemade bed liner was a 3/4” sheet of plywood cut around the fenderwells to fit and covered in indoor/outdoor carpet. Stylish AND functional. Not. Lol.

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
^LOL

I've had all sorts of bed liners over the years, including: factory-applied, liner dealer-applied (RhinoLiner), self-applied, and bodyshop-applied. By far the thickest and most durable was the Rhino dealer applied one (applied to the entire interior of my FJ40)...but I'm sure it added 10-15# of weight too.
Dude - I am jealous that you own an FJ40, it's one of my all time fave SUVs. I just can't justify $100k for a collector car at this moment :blush:... Ah, maybe some day!

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Dude - I am jealous that you own an FJ40, it's one of my all time fave SUVs. I just can't justify $100k for a collector car at this moment :blush:... Ah, maybe some day!
Thanks. I’ve owned her for over 10 years. She was a rust bucket basket case trail truck that required a full tub replacement. Only part not rebuilt was the engine and transmission!

Now she’s a dead ringer for a $125K+ ICON FJ40 and sees no off road duty. Even has the same aluminum body and dual hoop roll bar. But none of the fancy ICON chassis/suspension/engine swap.

Unfortunately she’s going up for sale as soon as I can get the hardtop reassembled. Makes no sense to have both vehicles...and proceeds from sale help pay for the Gladiator.

F443D2E4-7E0B-4C49-BEAB-0B0AF8D1C752.png

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The frame comes complete from Dana. All jokes aside, I wonder what sort of prep is involved for applying the factory liner.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Thanks. I’ve owned her for over 10 years. She was a rust bucket basket case trail truck that required a full tub replacement. Only part not rebuilt was the engine and transmission!

Now she’s a dead ringer for a $125K+ ICON FJ40 and sees no off road duty. Even has the same aluminum body and dual hoop roll bar. But none of the fancy ICON chassis/suspension/engine swap.

Unfortunately she’s going up for sale as soon as I can get the hardtop reassembled. Makes no sense to have both vehicles...and proceeds from sale help pay for the Gladiator.

F443D2E4-7E0B-4C49-BEAB-0B0AF8D1C752.png
That's a sweet looking FJ. Yeah, the ICON FJ40 will be my dream SUV especially cuz I have had two surgeries on my left leg and I can't really drive stick anymore and need an automatic. Well, at least you got to enjoy the FJ for a while and will enjoy the new Gladiator even more with the modern amenities ;). I wish I could say I will buy the FJ off you but I am moving & buying a new house besides the LE that is coming my way hopefully in a couple of weeks :fingerscrossed:.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
The frame comes complete from Dana. All jokes aside, I wonder what sort of prep is involved for applying the factory liner.
I've had Line-X sprayed in two pickups when they were new. As long as the underlying surface is in good condition (unpeeled paint, no rust), they just scuff it real good and apply it.
Sponsored