First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave 2021 Jaguar F Type 2018 Range Rover
Occupation
Self Employed
I'm new to the Forum and my compliments on the content expertise. We purchased a Mojave a few days ago and all around we are very impressed. If not for the Forum, I wouldn't have known about the steering gear box of which is now on order. We have historically owned Range Rovers however, we needed the features of a pick-up. At the advice of the dealership we went with the hard top. I must say, I'm noticing a bit more wind noise than expected. I also realize that this may be the "nature of the beast..." That said, is this our new normal or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance...

Dave
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I own more than one Jeep. It isn’t less noise, it’s the same. Nothing really has changed in hard top design.

They’re just noisy. No insulation and thin walls. Adding a headliner and sound strips will help.

Apocalypz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK Unlimited, 2021 JTR Diesel (Ordered 7/11/20)
Occupation
Operations
I own more than one Jeep. It isn’t less noise, it’s the same. Nothing really has changed in hard top design.

They’re just noisy. No insulation and thin walls. Adding a headliner and sound strips will help.
Agreed. Headliner can do wonders. Does not eliminate, but does a good job of significantly reducing the noise.

OP
OP

Genoa Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for the replies. Is there a headliner made for the Gladiator and are the sound strips simply insulation around the edges of the hard top?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Check out Hot Heads Headliners on the forum sponsors

Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Agreed, headliner will help. Mine came with the Mopar one as part of the North package, and I have ridden in my friends Rubi without it, there is a vast difference. But for the money, if it didn't come with it, I think HotHeads is the better deal.

Edit: It's never going to be Rover quiet though...nature of the beast

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I never had any problems with wind noise in my hard top. Is it coming from a specific area? Does it sound like a whistle? If it seems to be coming from 1 place in particular you can always take the freedom panels off and try to reseat them all the way if it's from that area, same with the whole roof if it's from the back. I'd check your seals too.

as @BAT mentioned I'd very seriously look into the Hothead Headliners. I personally have them and they are wonderful. I got the full package plus sound assassins and it's money very well spent. It's thicker and better made than the Mopar that you can get from Jeep.

Here's a link for our JT headliner from them:

https://hotheadheadliners.com/colle...2020-jeep-gladiator-jt?variant=15491409739842

It is a bit expensive, if you want to wait they do sales throughout the year, but not usually more than 5-10%, not sure it would be worth the wait if it's bugging you. It helps to cut down on noise and heat, and yes I can attest to both of those claims personally (not that you know me).

CaptainRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubican
Occupation
Airline Pilot
I'll second the recommendation for Hothead Headliners. Easy to do and well worth the money.

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Owned an Unlimited prior to the Gladiator, wind noise is the same. Engine noise is a lot quieter though, so I guess that is good?

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Yeah, if you don't like wind noise, a Jeep is not a good choice. Better to buy a Honda Ridgeline. :)

Seriously, the headliner inserts will help with noise as well as provide thermal insulation. Win-win. I plan to install the headliner kit in my JT. I think it's purchase number 4,672, or something like that, on my list.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Yeah, it you don't like wind noise, a Jeep is not a good choice. Better to buy a Honda Ridgeline. :)

Seriously, the headliner inserts will help with noise as well as provide thermal insulation. Win-win. I plan to install the headliner kit in my JT. I think it's purchase number 4,672, or something like that, on my list.
We should also note that it helps with acoustics in the truck as far as your music too. lol

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have the MOPAR headliner, came with it. It does help. If it wasn't there I would also go with the hotheads bit.
I'm sure you've been in a bar or restaurant with no carpet, no curtains, no fabric at all, open structure - echos badly, lots of noise. Fabric and/or foam of any sort is a huge help with acoustics, period.

OP
OP

Genoa Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Well, my inaugural thread is followed by this embarrassing update. However, in my defense, the Mojave was purchased for my wife who uses it to move items for her horse at the stable. I therefore have ridden in it just a few times. When she came home today I inspected the JT and pulled the monroney out of the glove box. You see where this is going? Yes, the JT we bought has the factory headliner ($550.00) already installed.

Ready, Fire...Aim

Thanks for understanding!

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I've taking my freedom tops off quite a few times and I swear sometimes I get them installed back on just perfect and my wind noise is "minimal". Other times I feel like I always get a good amount of wind noise from where the freedom tops meet the windshield. I think i quickly get used to it, but a ride in any fixed roof vehicle like my wife's Nissan Murano and I'm reminding of the trade-off of quiet I give up to be able to take the top off. I'll make that trade-off 100 times out of 100 though!
Sponsored