Sponsored

Has anyone's start-stop system just... stopped working?

Code 3

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTM
Mine stopped functioning when I installed my Tazer, easily the most ridiculous feature in all new vehicles 😉

Please... don't quote me and start a purse swinging thread like the "my Jeep is going to be hacked thread" - if you disagree and think auto start/stop is going to save the planet, just accept my thanks from my future grandchildren 😁
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That depends - like I said, either my JT or my wife's Grand Cherokee - they can be heating or cooling and it will work. Granted, it depends on the difference between current temperature and goal temperature, but we've never had to turn the AC off to have ESS work. My wife NEVER runs her HVAC in auto mode and hers functions fine.
(I have to watch her as she's always kicking my JT out of auto HVAC mode, too, and I keep putting it back)
So, we know it will indeed shut off even if the AC is on or the heat is on, but it will depend on if it's up to temp/down to temp and other factors.
The HVAC fan keeps running but once it can't heat or cool the cabin to maintain temp, it will restart (or not shut down to begin with)
It will depend on if it's at the goal temperature or not - not whether or not the heat or AC is "on".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It may be possible for the vehicle to be driven several times without the STOP/START system going into a STOP/ START READY state under more extreme conditions
I've driven mine at times without the stop/start stopping at a light or sign - in fact, I bet there have been times where I've driven it a couple of times in a row without it stopping the engine, but then next time out it works.
So yeah, I would suspect a person could indeed take their JT out 2 or 3 times and not see the engine stop.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
“Auxiliary battery charging”

Mystery solved. Ha
Now we need to figure out why the auxiliary battery in our rigs isn’t charging/won’t hold a charge. :)

Sponsored

Beastmaster

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, 1943 Willys MB and a Ural M70 mototcycle
I had this problem and got the message something like "Stop/Start not ready - Batter Charging"
If I had been driving for a few minutes I would expect it. However, when it would happen after driving around town for 2 hours, I decided to take it to the dealer. Sure enough, they said the secondary battery was bad and they replaced it.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
It really sounds like the second you receive any new Jeep the first thing you do is push in all the fuses, drive it home, and put in a dual battery system.

Seems these the causes of 90% of the issues reported.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had this problem and got the message something like "Stop/Start not ready - Batter Charging"
If I had been driving for a few minutes I would expect it. However, when it would happen after driving around town for 2 hours, I decided to take it to the dealer. Sure enough, they said the secondary battery was bad and they replaced it.
This is good to know. Just drove mine for 2 hours on the freeway and it’s still charging. Before, it would be charged by the end of the same trip, but would only last for about a day. It seems to be getting worse. I’ll get it checked out. I have an oil change coming up soon. Thanks!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is good to know. Just drove mine for 2 hours on the freeway and it’s still charging. Before, it would be charged by the end of the same trip, but would only last for about a day. It seems to be getting worse. I’ll get it checked out. I have an oil change coming up soon. Thanks!
When my wife's 2018 ESS stopped working, we took it to the dealer (still under warranty and by this time, it got to the point it wouldn't start at all, period) and they replaced the batteries - plural.
And the service writer told me that Jeep has had a rash of bad batteries so they were not surprised.
It worked great after that (and 2 months later we traded for a 2021 Grand Cherokee)
So I guess - no surprise if a few folks here end up having batteries replaced under warranty on 2020 model year vehicles, especially built in 2019.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Here is what my dash displays:

20210101_162827.jpg

Sponsored

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here’s something interesting. A while back when I first noticed my ESS stopped working, I read on one of these threads where someone’s dash for their EAS read “battery charging”. When they took it in to have it looked at, one of the nuts was loose on the negative terminal on the main battery and after tightening it, the auxiliary battery started working again.

I thought about this last night while running for some wires for rear lights, so I stopped and took a look at my main battery. I checked the nuts for the two posts and both were tight. While continuing to work, I started thinking about it more and my auxiliary battery issue started around the same time I installed some Rigid lights. The wiring harness that came with the lights fit the small post on the main battery (I think this is the post where the auxiliary battery connects to the main battery. I could be wrong, but someone will correct me). So I thought, what the heck, I changed the fitting on the harness and put it on the larger post.

I didn’t think more about it until I was running errands around town this morning and my ESS started working again. I’m not an electrician, but I’ve always heard if you don’t have a good ground, electricity does strange things.

Anyway, my ESS is back up and running after driving around town for about 10 minutes.

I know there’s bad auxiliary batteries across multiple CFA makes/models, but I would be interested if others with this issues have accessories grounded to the smaller post and if changing it, resolves their issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I got curious after seeing some things in this thread and recalled - last trip out my JT ESS didn't function as expected. Granted, with the virus, being retired, living far away from anything so needing to consolidate trips and other stuff - we don't drive all that often. My JT may sit a week at a time.
So Saturday we drove it to church again, 25 miles, 35 minutes, and I noted the ESS wasn't working. I flipped over to the ESS display and it said "battery charging" - for 35 minute trip.
30 minutes later (they keep it short to reduce exposure risks) we got back to the truck, I flipped to that screen again and it said ESS ready. Hmmmm
Truck sits 6 days, the next 35 minute trip it says battery charging the whole time.
Shut off for 30 minutes, get back in, restart, ESS ready and it works.
Wow, that thing must really lose charge easily - and take forever to recharge even though the alternator is big enough to power the town I grew up in.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I had to pay $100 to make mine stop working. The worst thing the auto industry has invented.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to pay $100 to make mine stop working. The worst thing the auto industry has invented.
I used to think the same thing and always said I would never by a vehicle with it and if I did, I would disable it. I hated it at first, but I have to admit, it has grown on me. It really took me about 500 miles of giving it an honest assessment to learn it. After doing so, I changed my mind - I kind of like it.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I used to think the same thing and always said I would never by a vehicle with it and if I did, I would disable it. I hated it at first, but I have to admit, it has grown on me. It really took me about 500 miles of giving it an honest assessment to learn it. After doing so, I changed my mind - I kind of like it.
Maybe it depends on where you live. I travel up to NYC and down to DC often and when in traffic it is terrible. Can’t be good for the vehicle to turn off and on so much either. Either way, mine if now off and stays off and I don’t miss it.
Sponsored