Sponsored

Hauling Long Lumber

rockcityphoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland North Edition
Has anyone tried to drive carrying fairly long lumber in their Gladiator? I need to pick up a bunch of shiplap type boards for a bathroom renovation and the size I'm going to need are 12 foot boards. I know you can lock the tailgate half open to carry lumber, but I feel like that's putting the end of the tailgate still pretty close to the center of a 12 foot board. I supposed I could try to weight them down with something and that might work, but I've never tried anything like this before.
Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Has anyone tried to drive carrying fairly long lumber in their Gladiator? I need to pick up a bunch of shiplap type boards for a bathroom renovation and the size I'm going to need are 12 foot boards. I know you can lock the tailgate half open to carry lumber, but I feel like that's putting the end of the tailgate still pretty close to the center of a 12 foot board. I supposed I could try to weight them down with something and that might work, but I've never tried anything like this before.
Not sure what the regs are for hauling. Usually so many feet past the tail gait and you need a red flag on it but there is also a limit to how far it can stick out. Maybe try the opposite direction with it pinned at the tailgate and over the cab to the front. Use some sort of cushion when laying on the cab. Tie down in the bed, back windows and up from front bumper.... I'd give you better redneck advice but have been out of Texas for years... might still have some duct tape though!

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
What you need is a hitch mounted bed extender.

If you have a welder you can make your own.

Jeep Gladiator Hauling Long Lumber db2989161b748782d22a93f496994e92

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If you have a hitch, you can get one of the bed extenders from HFT.

https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-extender-69650.html?_br_psugg_q=hitch+extender

Another option I use, is a couple of pieces of 1/2" steel rod, bent into an "S" shape and covered with some old garden hose, to protect paint. With the windows down, I put one on the front door, passenger side, and one over side of bed. I carry 16' lumber with my 60" bed Dakota that way. Small amount at a time. Use bungies around lumber to keep from sliding when braking.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
@rockcityphoto

Interesting idea, you could carry the full length with out extending past. Somewhat like a glass delivery.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the Owner's Manual and make the support 2x4's to go in the back. Set the tailgate at half height, and then put in a sheet of 3/4 plywood. Weight it down in the front, and use the tie downs in the corners. If you're careful, it should work. I would probably attach the plywood to the support pieces, and also tie it down so that there's a stable surface to put the load on.

OP
OP

rockcityphoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland North Edition
For $60 that Harbor Freight one looks exactly like what I need. I'll probably still want to throw something on top of the boards, but that should easily stop them from just tipping off the back. I only need to drive about 10 minutes with them for this specific purchase.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
these are 10ft 4x4 posts

4E61A62B-D80C-443F-A07B-B2601CC074DE.jpeg

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
16 foot long lumber is really too long for a five for bed, even with an extender.

Maybe if you were only going a couple of miles, had the hitch extender and put a few bags of ready mix at the front of the bed you might be ok but it might be easier and certainly safer to rent a full size truck from Enterprise with an 8 foot bed and then use the extender...

Remember anything extending more than 2 feet from the truck needs to be flagged.

EDIT: One of the crazy ways I have carried long items (18 ft trim pieces) when I had my company was to pass the material through the back window all the way forward to the front dash. Now this is not recommended by anyone.. I would make sure that the material did not rest on the window but the back seat and the front dash where I would also have a towel to keep the dash protected.
This was with my F-350 cc with an 8 ft bed...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
16 foot long lumber is really too long for a five for bed, even with an extender.

Maybe if you were only going a couple of miles, had the hitch extender and put a few bags of ready mix at the front of the bed you might be ok but it might be easier and certainly safer to rent a full size truck from Enterprise with an 8 foot bed and then use the extender...

Remember anything extending more than 2 feet from the truck needs to be flagged.

EDIT: One of the crazy ways I have carried long items (18 ft trim pieces) when I had my company was to pass the material through the back window all the way forward to the front dash. Now this is not recommended by anyone.. I would make sure that the material did not rest on the window but the back seat and the front dash where I would also have a towel to keep the dash protected.
This was with my F-350 cc with an 8 ft bed...
or borrow a 10 foot trailer and have the boards overhang the front by 18 inches, then it'll only hang out 4.5 feet out the back of the trailer. I've done that several times. Was only for 4 miles or so.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Pull your top, run them part way into the cab and butt some of them against the backs of the front seats. the weight should rest on the front rail of the bed and tailgate with the tailgate closed. tie them down securely. Drive slow. I brought home a few long boards this way, I dont think more would be a problem. I do have a Diamonback cover but the bed rail and tailgate should hold if its not crazy weight.
Sponsored