Hell of a deal on a Truck Tent $25

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
It looks like these are assembled from pre-coated fabric so it would have been dry when packed, but they were packed overly tight. Unless something is done to the inside surface, it looks to me like it could stick again.
Another thing about the pre-coated fabric is that on their website, Napier refers to the coating as weatherproofing and that the tent may leak where the coating peels off. That implies that the water resistance is on the inside of the tent and not the outside. I've never seen a tent that was water resistant from the inside.

I suspect that just like every other tent, these have the water resistant coating on the outside and the only purpose of the black coating on the inside is to prevent light from escaping. Typical nylon tents are translucent and when lit on the inside at night, they are highly visible from the outside. The black coating gives these tents a night time "black out" camouflage.

This would mean the only downside of the peeling is that light gets out, but it shouldn't allow water in.
Sponsored

Texan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
That's great. The compact short bed model should be the best fit for most JT setups. : )

It's forecasting for rain the next little while so I figured today is as good (or bad) as any.

With the hard rolling cover (more than 6" high) I should have "place the truck tent up against the tonneau cover" as recommended. I went crazy and put it over the rolled cover and it seems to work ok with the longer model.

Didn't get to play with it much in the rain. But I think if I do as recommended (tent against rolled cover) the tent would have been a tad bit too long (but still acceptable).

My guess is with a soft rolling cover or no cover, the full size short bed model should work fine.

In case the compact short bed runs out again, here's a few pics for reference:

20210429_182023.jpg

20210429_182048.jpg

20210429_182105.jpg

20210429_182124.jpg
I went with the 19133 since they were out of the 19166 when I ordered. Figured for the price it was worth a try. I have a roll up cover that I wanted the tent to go over and I wanted to have plenty of overhang for water runoff. I think it's going to work well.
Jeep Gladiator Hell of a deal on a Truck Tent $25 Resized_20210504_162522
Jeep Gladiator Hell of a deal on a Truck Tent $25 20210504_180408

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip - I just ordered one.
I couldn't get any of my desktop browsers to switch from CAD to USD, so I used my iPad - no problem.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I ordered one of these last Friday and yesterday (Wednesday) it was here! Kinda shocked it came so quickly from Canada. Hopefully I can get it opened up and take a look at it over the weekend. Will post pics and a review when I do if anything is outstanding or problematic.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Received mine today. Going to set it out in our desert sun tomorrow and let it get good and warm before I try to unpack it.
Literally cannot stand the smell of baby powder so I’ll try and dust the inside with Gold Bond. Has anyone else let the tent get really warm before tying to separate the layers? What powder has everyone had luck with? What about respraying the inside with urethane?

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer

wtonasket

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Dudes! So I just got mine in this afternoon. I went and got a cheap blow dryer. I just gradually worked away at heating the stuck sections and almost all of them cleared without issue. It can also help to heat the outside as well. the only spot I have quite a few spots is over the door, I’m not sure why, I might have just missed it or pulled it apart unknowingly. The rest has very few peel marks. Overall can’t be happier for a 71% discount!

Cernst

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Diesel Gladiator '94 Land Cruiser '08 Ram 4500
Thanks to the OP! Got mine in the mail the other day. Never wanted a truck bed tent, but at this price couldn’t pass it up. I figured it was a nice way to hold me over till I save up the bones for a wedge style camper. Set it up in the driveway and my girlfriend liked it so much that we spent the night in it...in the driveway! It’s a neat setup with a surprising amount of headroom in it. It also gets you up and off the ground in wet or frozen ground weather which makes it a much more comfortable living space than a standard backpacking tent. I still wouldn’t pay full price for it, but am very happy with the $40.00 (after shipping) pruchase.

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another thing about the pre-coated fabric is that on their website, Napier refers to the coating as weatherproofing and that the tent may leak where the coating peels off. That implies that the water resistance is on the inside of the tent and not the outside. I've never seen a tent that was water resistant from the inside.

I suspect that just like every other tent, these have the water resistant coating on the outside and the only purpose of the black coating on the inside is to prevent light from escaping. Typical nylon tents are translucent and when lit on the inside at night, they are highly visible from the outside. The black coating gives these tents a night time "black out" camouflage.

This would mean the only downside of the peeling is that light gets out, but it shouldn't allow water in.
I emailed Napier and they confirmed that "The water resistant coating is on the outside of the tent, the black that you see from the inside is the tent material".

Here's my experience with my tent.

I used some adhesive remover to help separate the sticking folds, which seemed to work well as I only had a few small peels. But after I set the tent up, I found there were many spots with light or no coating. Here's a spot where you can see the outside camo print through the black coating.
Jeep Gladiator Hell of a deal on a Truck Tent $25 napier tent 1

So don't worry too much about the small spots that peel because there all already defects in the coating and the water resistance is on the outside of the tent.

I used Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber treatment on the coating to mitigate any further coating stickage.
Jeep Gladiator Hell of a deal on a Truck Tent $25 napier tent 2

I found a hole wore into the tent materiel above the door opening. I ordered some tent repair tape to patch the hole.
Jeep Gladiator Hell of a deal on a Truck Tent $25 napier tent 3

Here it is installed.
Jeep Gladiator Hell of a deal on a Truck Tent $25 napier tent 4

I also got some Napier strap sleeves from Amazon to help protect the paint from damage from the straps. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PCY6Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BamDaLam

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Musician
These seem to be back in stock - just ordered mine.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
I emailed Napier and they confirmed that "The water resistant coating is on the outside of the tent, the black that you see from the inside is the tent material".

Here's my experience with my tent.

I used some adhesive remover to help separate the sticking folds, which seemed to work well as I only had a few small peels. But after I set the tent up, I found there were many spots with light or no coating. Here's a spot where you can see the outside camo print through the black coating.

So don't worry too much about the small spots that peel because there all already defects in the coating and the water resistance is on the outside of the tent.

I used Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber treatment on the coating to mitigate any further coating stickage.

I found a hole wore into the tent materiel above the door opening. I ordered some tent repair tape to patch the hole.

Here it is installed.

I also got some Napier strap sleeves from Amazon to help protect the paint from damage from the straps. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PCY6Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did you turn it inside out to apply the treatment, and is it a sealer at all or just a preventative measure?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you turn it inside out to apply the treatment, and is it a sealer at all or just a preventative measure?
Just a preventative measure to prevent further sticking. I confirmed with Napier that the black fabric coating is not water proofing, that's always applied on the out side of a tent.

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTR
When I try to calculate shipping costs, it’s telling me there are no shipping options for me. I put in my zip in SC and the in-laws in OH with no luck. Has anyone else had this and what was the fix?
Sponsored