First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
I drove a Rubi gas, a Mojave, and an Overland diesel, and walked away with the diesel. I put 37s on it with a 2.5” spacer in the front and still get 22mpg. If you know diesel, stick with it. I will add though, if they ever make a Mojave diesel I’d be the first in line.

There’s nothing a Rubicon can do that I can’t do in my overland within my comfort zone. So just like you, I’m not going crazy off road, but it’ll do what I ask it to.
Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Trails for me are mostly fire roads and beaches. Occasionally, I may get a bit more aggressive than that but I've never been anywhere that you would be considered real off-roading. I think given I am 99.5% street driving that it makes sense for an overland. I think I'd like some rims I'd like better and a few other cool "Jeep" things.

Thanks for the help folks. I really have thought about this and I'd prefer something that's focused on road manners.
Dont let anyone kid you! The Overland is more than capable on most trails with a modest lift and slightly larger tires.

bowl1.jpg

Otay 4.jpg

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
I had a Jeep dealer offer me ridiculous money to trade in my F150 Lightning. I really love it but for what they offered it would be silly to keep it. The profit alone pays for all but 12k on a new Gladiator. Here's my conundrum: There are two available a green overland and a Sting gray Rubicon. I really only hit light trails and beaches for the most part and run up some long trip miles. So am I hung up on a Rubicon unnecessarily? The issue for me with the Rubicon is that it doesn't have the cold weather package which will drive my wife nuts between the seats and the steering wheel. The only other Jeep experience I have is with my 2020 Willys U diesel that I gave to me daughter. I really liked it but the Rubicon and the Overland seem to ride much better than the Wrangler Willys.

In short do I NEED a Rubicon? No, I just think they look super cool and found the Overland to be a bit plain but if it has more creature comforts (as what I read), I guess I can do a few upgrades (wheels, etc).

One other data point is I will drive it to my home in FL 1-2 times per year, 1k mile trip. I am looking at a diesel and really just enjoy them, gotta Willys had a GC and a bunch of other diesels so I know the pros and cons on that.

I didn't see a spot for introductions, so I just posted here. I'm Rob from Monmouth County NJ and I am interested in Gladiators.

Thanks all.
Happy wife, happy life.

I have a High Altitude which was the right move for me. You get the wider axels and more standard features, also, the rubicon’s ride on you long trips is going to be less comfortable, the suspension is not built for HWY comfort.

sloowhand

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Overland
FWIW, I was (and still am) impressed by the ride quality in my Overland. I've since added the things I wanted/needed to go a bit further off-road but never planned on serious rock crawling. The only two things, for me, that I ever wish I had were Selec-Trac and a higher ratio than the 3.73. Having said that, I still enjoy my vehicle as a DD and part-time trail runner.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AlGator4

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Medical
Happy wife, happy life.

I have a High Altitude which was the right move for me. You get the wider axels and more standard features, also, the rubicon’s ride on you long trips is going to be less comfortable, the suspension is not built for HWY comfort.
I had a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland and put 20k on it. I now have a 2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude. I love the look of the HA and the features but the Overland with the 18's is a much better choice for highway driving.

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As the owner of a sting gray rubicon that i am obsessed with, get the overland.

They’re both the same height and the only real difference other than the hood is that rubicons have higher fenders which you can get later. I’ve added lights so far and plan for a lift and new bumpers and a canopy, all things that you can do with overland.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Mojave for the win!!!!

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I got the Max Tow cause I just had to have the 7650 and higher payload. Just that little bit more made a difference in what we want to do with it.

Paid more than a da** Rubi would have cost me since I threw the kitchen sink in it.. But I am happy as a clam cause I got what I WANTED….and warm too with the heated seats and steering wheel!!!!

Get what you want, not what anyone tells you to get. Then you be happy!

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Buy once cry once. Rubicon will always be the benchmark and that is not debatable…yet is constantly debated.

If you buy a Jeep Gladiator or Wrangler that is not a Rubicon, you will have to hone your rationale to justify reasoning to everyone in the world. And inside you slowly die recognizing that the Rubicon features, while likely not often used, were worth it. And resale is proven.

It’s like High point vs Glock both super reliable…but come on who the fuck wants to justify a high point? Couple hundred more and you have something respectable, badass, and guaranteed that someone else wants 😊

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I would be more interested in the full time 4WD option than Rubicon trim.

I would almost certainly trade my diesel for 4.10 gears and full time 4WD.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I had a Jeep dealer offer me ridiculous money to trade in my F150 Lightning. I really love it but for what they offered it would be silly to keep it. The profit alone pays for all but 12k on a new Gladiator. Here's my conundrum: There are two available a green overland and a Sting gray Rubicon. I really only hit light trails and beaches for the most part and run up some long trip miles. So am I hung up on a Rubicon unnecessarily? The issue for me with the Rubicon is that it doesn't have the cold weather package which will drive my wife nuts between the seats and the steering wheel. The only other Jeep experience I have is with my 2020 Willys U diesel that I gave to me daughter. I really liked it but the Rubicon and the Overland seem to ride much better than the Wrangler Willys.

In short do I NEED a Rubicon? No, I just think they look super cool and found the Overland to be a bit plain but if it has more creature comforts (as what I read), I guess I can do a few upgrades (wheels, etc).

One other data point is I will drive it to my home in FL 1-2 times per year, 1k mile trip. I am looking at a diesel and really just enjoy them, gotta Willys had a GC and a bunch of other diesels so I know the pros and cons on that.

I didn't see a spot for introductions, so I just posted here. I'm Rob from Monmouth County NJ and I am interested in Gladiators.

Thanks all.
It sounds like you should just keep the Lightning, honestly. It doesn't seem like you've got any true reason to get the Gladiator based on your lifestyle, and chasing a few extra $$ is silly. You'll spend all of that savings on mod you had no idea you were interested in anyway. lol

Obviously I want you to get a Gladiator, but not if its for the wrong reasons.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Something I haven’t seen mentioned yet is which one will hold more value, I think historically the rubicon/Mojave will hold longer. As others said the overland sounds like it will be best for your situation
If you go by the residual value of leases:
Sport versions hold the most value.
Overland second.
Rubicon, Mojave third.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I’ll make it very simple for you:

#1 - You like diesels. Get a diesel model

#2 - You have your reasons for liking the Rubicon. Get the Rubicon. You may not need all the extra stuff that comes with it but it doesn’t hurt to have it.

Life is short. Sounds like you’re in a position to have whatever Gladiator you desire, so go for a Diesel Rubicon.

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
Buy once cry once. Rubicon will always be the benchmark and that is not debatable…yet is constantly debated.

If you buy a Jeep Gladiator or Wrangler that is not a Rubicon, you will have to hone your rationale to justify reasoning to everyone in the world. And inside you slowly die recognizing that the Rubicon features, while likely not often used, were worth it. And resale is proven.

It’s like High point vs Glock both super reliable…but come on who the fuck wants to justify a high point? Couple hundred more and you have something respectable, badass, and guaranteed that someone else wants 😊
lol, I like the Glock analogy but not all have the same needs my friend. This forum is loaded with “my rubicon’s bigger than yours” posts. Though, let’s not forget about the Mohave fanboys (I’ll admit I qualify!) and the High Altitude ducking haters! I went with a premium priced High Altitude and a value priced but reliable Taurus, hasn’t failed me yet.

If you’re rock climbing or hitting the trails hard I agree, Rubicon all day long. If not, gage your needs. Sounds like a well equipped overland will get the job done for this gentleman! The traction control on Jeeps is pretty amazing for an average trail. Get select-trac and the lockers are generally overkill for 95% of people. If you’re using a Rubi like it should be I doubt the resale will be any better once your buyer looks under and sees your skid plates! Many of us don’t have a trail within two-three hours that calls for a Rubicon’s athletic prowess.

If I had the money, I’d get one of each…! Cheers!!
Sponsored