Diesel
If you own them, you already know.
Sponsored

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've owned a 2020 Overland since Feb. 2020 and have not been disappointed one bit in its performance. Have been able to take it absolutely everywhere I needed (and then some) and can say without hesitation that the Overland is capable. Is the Rubicon MORE capable - sure, but that's not been my needs. FYI, I have a 2" level/lift kit and 35s.

Butch-R-Vols

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland 3.0 Diesel, 2011 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
I have an Overland Diesel with 3:73 gears and have no problems whatsoever with larger tires. The diesel has more than enough torque and HP to get the job done. For long trips, the Overland is very comfortable. I too drive to Florida twice a year and 900 miles one way and the Overland is a joy to drive. Just my $.02 worth.

Sponsored

fishburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Something I havenā€™t seen mentioned yet is which one will hold more value, I think historically the rubicon/Mojave will hold longer. As others said the overland sounds like it will be best for your situation

Bback58

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland automatic, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2 dr, 6 spd.
I would have preferred the Rubicon, but couldn't justify the cost difference just because it looked "cooler" so I ordered my Overland with all the options I wanted for about $7,000 less than a similar Rubicon. My Gladiator won't see any trails or off-roading (that's what I have my 2dr JL for). I've had my Gladiator for 2 years now and don't regret the choice I made.
My JL I ordered the Willys and kind of wish I would have done the Rubicon just because I have done a couple of Jeep Jamborees and hope to do some more. The Willys does fine on the trails but if I had to do it over again I would upgrade, but still don't regret that decision either. Lots of choices!!

Spedracr297

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 juke, 1981 cj7
Sounds like the lightning earned you some free money. Get what you want. I Have a rubicon that was 10k off. I just went ahead and bought it. Wife doesn't want me to go much higher, maybe I can get away with 35's. Runs great on long trips across the south and on beaches. More than I'll every need, sure but, I got it if I do.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
I had a Jeep dealer offer me ridiculous money to trade in my F150 Lightning. I really love it but for what they offered it would be silly to keep it. The profit alone pays for all but 12k on a new Gladiator. Here's my conundrum: There are two available a green overland and a Sting gray Rubicon. I really only hit light trails and beaches for the most part and run up some long trip miles. So am I hung up on a Rubicon unnecessarily? The issue for me with the Rubicon is that it doesn't have the cold weather package which will drive my wife nuts between the seats and the steering wheel. The only other Jeep experience I have is with my 2020 Willys U diesel that I gave to me daughter. I really liked it but the Rubicon and the Overland seem to ride much better than the Wrangler Willys.

In short do I NEED a Rubicon? No, I just think they look super cool and found the Overland to be a bit plain but if it has more creature comforts (as what I read), I guess I can do a few upgrades (wheels, etc).

One other data point is I will drive it to my home in FL 1-2 times per year, 1k mile trip. I am looking at a diesel and really just enjoy them, gotta Willys had a GC and a bunch of other diesels so I know the pros and cons on that.

I didn't see a spot for introductions, so I just posted here. I'm Rob from Monmouth County NJ and I am interested in Gladiators.

Thanks all.
Love my '20 overland - incl cold weather, led lighting and premium sound with 8.4 screen and Hard tri-fold mopar cover. Comes with 18" wheels - note the under bed spare is a standard Gladiator 17" wheel. Great travelling vehicle and still getting 22.5 mpg at 50k miles.

IMG_0129_LI.jpg

Spicy Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Mojave
I was in a similar position to you a few months ago (minus the Ford Lightning to trade in!), deciding between a High Altitude (basically a super-posh Overland), a Rubicon or a Mojave. After driving several of each trim I ended up going with a Mojave even though my day-to-day driving is very similar to yours.

My thought process was that I'd eventually want to start venturing off-road to some mild and medium trails and though I'll never be doing the Cool YouTube Guy stuff like driving a Jeep straight up a desert cliff overhang at 90mph or across a mountain covered in snow and angry charging goats I felt better about having the off-road capabilities and not needing them rather than the other way around. A sudden snowstorm in Ruidoso, NM over the Thanksgiving week that left my Mojave as the only vehicle able to get my family around until the roads were cleared made me feel much better about that decision (even though I think I would have been much happier with the Overland's potentially better MPG the lion's share of my driving time).

I don't think you'll really be able to go wrong with an Overland, given your daily driving needs. There's a cool thing about having a "specialized" Gladiator like a Rubicon or Mojave (and I was super close to choosing a Rubicon over my Mojave) but whether the extra $$$ and capabilities are worth it in your local area is a decision only you will be able to decide. Happy hunting for your Gladiator!

Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
See if your dealer can locate a Mojave with the options that you desire. For me the Mojo was the only choice.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I had a Jeep dealer offer me ridiculous money to trade in my F150 Lightning. I really love it but for what they offered it would be silly to keep it. The profit alone pays for all but 12k on a new Gladiator. Here's my conundrum: There are two available a green overland and a Sting gray Rubicon. I really only hit light trails and beaches for the most part and run up some long trip miles. So am I hung up on a Rubicon unnecessarily? The issue for me with the Rubicon is that it doesn't have the cold weather package which will drive my wife nuts between the seats and the steering wheel. The only other Jeep experience I have is with my 2020 Willys U diesel that I gave to me daughter. I really liked it but the Rubicon and the Overland seem to ride much better than the Wrangler Willys.

In short do I NEED a Rubicon? No, I just think they look super cool and found the Overland to be a bit plain but if it has more creature comforts (as what I read), I guess I can do a few upgrades (wheels, etc).

One other data point is I will drive it to my home in FL 1-2 times per year, 1k mile trip. I am looking at a diesel and really just enjoy them, gotta Willys had a GC and a bunch of other diesels so I know the pros and cons on that.

I didn't see a spot for introductions, so I just posted here. I'm Rob from Monmouth County NJ and I am interested in Gladiators.

Thanks all.
So, what did you end up with!? :)

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
First off, thanks for the tip on the jacket. Now I have my first Xmas gift for the wife :D

I would put the Cold Weather pkg above the Rubicon features that it sounds like you are unlikely to use. An aggressive tire upgrade does wonders for the looks of the ā€œless macho off roadā€ trim levels.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The overland comes with the Limited slip. Add your own 2 inch lift and off road it will cross basically any terrain a Mojave will just slower since they both lack 4:1 and front lockers.

Carrotzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Glad
I have a peep that has a mint wrangler Sahara from 2007. he commented ā€˜oh you got one of thoseā€™ After watching the US collapse at the WC. Iā€™ve had 2 Wranglers (2 doors). I like the Gladiator. A small 2 door is awesome but itā€™s nice having a bed
Sponsored