How capable is a bone stock rubicon?

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I only ask because I believe they are quite capable. Trail rated. Able to run the rubicon trail stock (carefully) Right ? So why is everyone telling me oh you got to lift it run larger tires crazy suspension ? To really enjoy it off road. And a basic kit like a spacer lift won’t cut it? Still has the rubicon suspension right ? I kinda feel like there is a lotta hype to do after market stuff. Oh I get it though I have dumped a bunch of money inso far And am getting ready to do more.
BTW, I will pitch going to one of the Jeep Academy events. I went to the first on in Holly Hills, and it was very educational. Its a very controlled environment with a high guide to driver ratio, and they safely push you out of your comfort zone. It was put on be the folks at Jeep Jamboree, and was only like $150, compared to their expensive weekend packages. I don't think its probably worth it to the experienced rock crawler, but for someone that doesn't comprehend the full capabilities of their jeep, it is pretty impressive.
Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I would say a stock Rubicon is in the 95th percentile of capability of most people.
Which is about why I would only go to 35’s on my Mojave...leaving suspension as-is. Will definitely change wheels and am only considering adding supercharger for hi-altitude ops, dragging around either an Overkill 5.10, a OffGrid Pando or a reasonable facsimile. After that, small interior “improvements” and I’m done.

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Which is about why I would only go to 35’s on my Mojave...leaving suspension as-is. Will definitely change wheels and am only considering adding supercharger for hi-altitude ops, dragging around either an Overkill 5.10, a OffGrid Pando or a reasonable facsimile. After that, small interior “improvements” and I’m done.
Sounds a lot like what I landed on too considering its a brand new close to daily driver - a few useful mods like onboard air, full belly skids from Artec or MOTOBILT, maybe bumpers/winch and when the factory 33s are worn go up to 35s. That and the bedrack, decked system and tent I already have on it and this jeep has not disappointed me on any trip I have taken and has been far more capable than my '88 YJ on 35s was - but that is a whole other story/argument.

I did forget to mention earlier that the trailer hitch has saved my bed and bumper a few times on steep approach/departures as well may look into a hitch skid at some point but for now I'm not afraid to drag it and know its just the hitch...

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I suppose it depends on your attitude and skills. Rick Pewe has done the Rubicon trail in old flat-fenders with 3-speed manuals.

I recently saw some pictures of Ford guys taking the new Bronco on the Rubicon trail and it got beat up pretty good.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Running the Rubicon trail is one thing. Doing it without damaging your vehicle is another

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I did the rubicon in a first year tj rubicon on a mark smith jeep jamboree. It was really fun. I was pretty amazed at what it could. Do as I recall it had 31 tires no
Lift It did fine.

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
Can a stock Gladiator Rubicon go through the Rubicon? I’m not sure about that. If so it would be a real challenge. I do think a simple space lift and 35s would be plenty to make it a lot more capable. Simple because it improves clearance and traction.
It when thru the Rubicon trail in a breeze. In fact, even the Sport model bone stock didn't have any struggle.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I'll be doing this in a stock sport on 33s this summer.

Pretty darn capable. Even at 13k.

technically with 37s but I’ve never driven a stock JT (I’ve had 2). But a stock 33” version could have done all this too.

Jeep Gladiator How capable is a bone stock rubicon? 53AA8F6D-67A0-4AAF-8C4A-817A473291AE

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Love to see the ISTR on that one! Off the charts!

JCFindley

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Break over angle.

Break over angle.

Break over angle.

The stock Rubicon is ridiculously capable besides that lim factor. Adding 35s to a stock suspension will only add an inch more clearance to the belly.

Now, how you wheel your Jeep makes that important or no issue at all. I wanted to test mine in beach sand so I pulled out a few full size three quarter to Rams in long sand pulls. Worked great. Add dunes to that sand and break over angle starts to matter. Mud without ruts it is ridiculously capable. Add ruts and tire height matters a lot. Want to rock crawl? Now break over angle is critical.

It ALL depends on how you use it.
Sponsored