Sponsored

How long do you plan to keep this truck?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I plan on keeping mine til the end as well. Unless it develops major mechanical issues.

As for mods. Rubi take offs, 33s, Rock Hard Sliders. Starting to do skid plates.
I want to grow into off-roading with this rig. I mean I had a k20 suburban, but that was more of a sledge hammer. This feels like more of a scalpel. I'm enjoying building my skills.
Up next. Winch and bumper....recovery gear.... Air compressor.

Eventually Lockers...2.5 in lift 35s or 37s, gear down and beef up the axles. Be sweet to add an overland tent etc.. Forced induction or a v8 swap. More Lights.

Until the end. No plans to dump a first generation, first ever 4 door oem "wrangler with a bed"... they're just going to be way too cool new, middle aged or old.
Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Last truck I'm buying. Keeping it till I die, or it does.
That's what I said when I bought my 03 F250, That said I still have the F250 and I told my Grandson that I planned to be buried in it. I see my Gladiator as my main driver and the last new vehicle I will need.

Apocalypz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK Unlimited, 2021 JTR Diesel (Ordered 7/11/20)
Occupation
Operations
I was looking through the builds and rigs and "what did you do" threads and enjoying the general mods across the board. As I look at these, I typically think I like that but wouldn't do it, or I want to do that, or ew I'll never do that. In any of those cases, I'm evaluating against my own plans. It occurs to me as I look at some mods and I consider the maintenance costs that will go with it, that a big part of my build plans is longevity. To that end, I'm curious...

How long do you plan to keep your current truck?
Are you making mods based on that decision?

And further, what is the lift/tire size on your rig?

(Personally, I'm not interested in 37" tires and 4" lifts because they will put more wear and tear on the vehicle aside from being parts that have regular costly expenses.)

Me?

How Long - Minimum 10 years, expect more like 15 years before I change vehicles.
Mods - All "upgrades" are intended for longevity, keeping it as healthy as long as possible... bigger tires for utility without being too stressful.

Lift - No more than 1.5" lift planned with the intent of never needing to modify suspension geometry
Tires - Currently 33", no plan to go bigger than 35" but really don't want anything wider than 295mm (about 11.5")
Till the wheels fall off. Then I’ll just put new ones on and keep gettin it! :rock: :rock:

Tall Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Super Trucker...
If it proves to be reliable I'm keeping it for a long time.

Not going to crazy with the build......Icon or Synergy lift kit, wheels, bumpers, and possibly 37's for summer. Stock Overland wheels and 35's for winter which is what I'm currently running.

I've got a JKU that I'm currently building that will see the dirty work and most of the upcoming winter.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Yes. I have had the top off for two weeks now. Colorado weather is at a sweet spot.

Till the wheels fall off. Then I’ll just put new ones on and keep gettin it! :rock: :rock:

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
How Long - Perhaps as much as 20 years. I kept my Dakota 16 years, but drove it 22K per year. This one should get much less miles, at least after I retire.

Lift - None.

Tires - Currently stock (32"), no plan to go bigger than 33" but really don't want anything wider than 11"

iGlad

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
socaljeepgladiatorowners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
How Long - Forever! I am in in love with this truck!
Mods - Front and rear bumpers and LED lights. Nothing to crazy planned as of yet

Lift - 1.5" Terraflex kit is good for me. (for now at least!)
Tires 35" Tires M/T with new wheels

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
As long as I can, as I've never loved a vehicle like this. I drove around a 2012 Sentra for 9 years before buying this, so I think I'll have no problem holding on. I have a four year old and might let him drive it when he's 16. The good thing is, you know it won't change much cosmetically over the years, just changes in capability and maybe working out some bugs (or creating new ones). Only mechanical mod I made was throwing rubicon takeoffs on my Sport S. No plans to go bigger than 33" on the tires or lift, but if I ever decide on a new bumper and winch, then I think that'll call for a level.

Oh and aftermarket lockers would be cool, but there doesn't seem to be too much on that front for now...

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Im waiting until my finances are in order then ill get one, but until then I'm making sure my build is perfect the way I want it. I plan on keeping it for life and it will be the first and last vehicle I buy new for me.(might buy a nice third row vehicle for the family one day).

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Unless a family member wants it...4-5 years. I would keep for 10yr but now that a plugin hybrid with 375hp is likely comming...the gas saving and extra power will br worth it. Ill take my tonneau cover and wheels with me to the next gladiator. These things have a good resale so the $ loss will be minimal

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Probably forever, and if not will probably end up in my family forever with one of the kids stealing it when they are old enough. Should have it paid off early so as long as it is running no point on really ever getting rid of it. Even if I needed a bigger truck in the future would still hang onto this thing due to how fun it is as a convertible. With a bed cover its like a wrangler that actually has space to put things when doorless and topless.

For mods right now just strictly practical things, brake controller, diamondback hd cover, cheap bumper with winch (great for yard work). I got the rubicon knowing it would be very good stock and I wouldn't have to mess with it, and can hit the trails no problem without modding a ton.

For the future I only see things that would make it a better truck (tow mirrors if they ever exist) or things to make it more fun like soft doors.

I love the stock wheels but might put 35s on them when I need new tires years down the road...

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
This is my first Jeep, and I wouldn't trade it except for a new Gladiator.

The truck bed is a must, if I don't have one I don't have it. I tried just having a car a few years back and all the hauling I did with sheetrock, moving friends and family; it certainly is a must.

One thing I'm looking forward to is the Sarge Gladiator - Dark Sage Green has been a favorite color of mine since I was young so I've instructed my dealer to keep me in the loop for when it comes available I want it.

How Long - 2-4 years.
Mods - Anything I see fit to bring a smile to my face. Lights, Tint, bumper, winch.

Lift - Maybe a mopar 2" in the future.
Tires - Currently 35", really debating 37" if I go 2" lift.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I will keep mine until they offer a SRT version of the Gladiator with the 6.4L Hemi. So that may be forever (because they may never offer it) or it may be next year. But I love this truck and am building it to keep it forever. Most likely if they dont offer the Hemi upgrade within a couple years I will make a SRT myself.
Sponsored

Last edited: