Sponsored

How many law breakers are there in New Jersey? Or, are you curious if your non-NJ JT is illegal someone other than where you live?

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Its funny how 5% of people in this thread dont even live in the state. Ive had lifted jeeps for the last 20 years and not once have i been pulled over or had to inspect it for a “ lifted condition” .
Says the person who's profile says they live in South Carolina, not New Jersey
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Are you stating that insurance policies have no grounds to deny claims based on illegal modifications that they deem contributory to the nature or severity of an accident?

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
As someone from Jersey who just recently moved out (8 months ago) these laws are still in effect.

However.

No one cares unless they get you for doing something else. All of my jeeps have been completely illegal when it comes to tires, poke, and front bumper. Never received a ticket. Inspection was always fine. No one cares unless you are doing something dumb and get pulled over, then you might get tickets for all the other shit. However only staties could give those tickets as they are the only ones that are DOT certified to do so in Jersey.

I moved to PA, and now I am not allowed to drive without my doors on 🙄
All police officers in NJ are certified to write N.J.S.A. Title 39 summonses for tires, poke, bumper height etc. They do not need to be DOT certified, unless enforcing the DOT laws for heavy trucks (following Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Regulations).

Many local police departments with traffic units (especially if a highway passes through their jurisdiction) also have members certified to enforce DOT regulations. They routinely stop heavy trucks for full inspections.

I do agree that a lift, tire poke, bumper etc. is rarely enforced unless they want to add on to something else just to bust chops.

WoolyKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
PA state police definitely do. I got pulled over in my XJ once. The cop started listing everything than noticed my inspection was one week out of date. He gave me that ticket as it was easier and cheaper that the ten other things.

I do remember at the time you could pay the extra money to register an SUV as a truck to get more bumper height.

Both of my Jeeps are illegal in PA.
In Mass. cops will “add on” to the ticket if you piss them off, but pulling over just for mods not that often. Too much paperwork for them…

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
All police officers in NJ are certified to write N.J.S.A. Title 39 summonses for tires, poke, bumper height etc. They do not need to be DOT certified, unless enforcing the DOT laws for heavy trucks (following Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Regulations).

Many local police departments with traffic units (especially if a highway passes through their jurisdiction) also have members certified to enforce DOT regulations. They routinely stop heavy trucks for full inspections.

I do agree that a lift, tire poke, bumper etc. is rarely enforced unless they want to add on to something else just to bust chops.
That is interesting, multiple local cops have stated that to me and my jeep club. Maybe they were just trying to get us comfy before ruining our days on our runs? lol

Sponsored

Sonoran_Mohavey

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate Development
Having done RE development in NJ- this is unsurprising. The most nanny state in the country ran by the most hot headed paper pushers on earth 🥱🥱

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
That is interesting, multiple local cops have stated that to me and my jeep club. Maybe they were just trying to get us comfy before ruining our days on our runs? lol
I worked in a police department (45 years). NJ State Police came in once and did a class on what was legal and what was not, later going out in the parking lot for a more "hands on" approach. There were some 8-10 vehicles in the lot (including my LJ) that could have been ticketed for not having the lifted inspection, and a couple that would have easily failed that!

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Equipment violations are a very low priority unless it is something truly unsafe. Its not that they can't write for them, but they usually don't. Some cites are so busy on calls that unless you literally run into a patrol car, they won't issue a summons. Its the smaller towns that you have a better chance to get written.

There is a vehicle in my neighborhood that hasn't been inspected since 2012 and no one bats an eye. Its typically parked on a main street in plain view. The pink temporary inspection card is still in the window but now faded to almost off-white.

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
Mine is FCC illegal lol.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
As a an actual life long NJ resident I have never seen, or heard of it being enforced nor have I ever seen said inspection sticker. So I'm going to venture out on a limb and say it's not enforced. Maybe if you got pulled over and the the cop wanted to bust your balls he could, but that would most likely be in addition to whatever you were originally pulled over for. Tinted windows are also illegal in the state but that is rarely enforced as well. I think I read like only 1,200 tint tickets are issued a year. I wouldn't sweat it.

Sponsored

Imbuere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Cops in NJ aren't gonna care unless they're already looking for a reason to pull you over.

/16W

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
When I lived in Hawaii we had normal inspections and then a RECON inspection for anything modified........it was a money grab.

tabrods

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport s
Occupation
Retired
Jeez we don't even have inspections here in MT. another good reason to avoid NJ I guess...

Tom

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Just ran across this:
Subchapter 37 - STANDARDS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES WITH ELEVATED CHASSIS HEIGHT | State Regulations | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

TLDR:
1. NJ has a special inspection for lifted vehicles. This includes ANY body lift, or tire size gains over 4 inches from the maximum factory available tire size (never seen this sticker ever, and I've seen tons of lifted trucks) Therefore all you guys running 36.5 k02s on unlifted mojaves don't need special inspections. Anything bigger than 36.7 or even the tiniest .75inch leveling kit needs a special sticker.

2. While NJ has no restrictions for stubby bumpers on un-lifted vehicle, lifted vehicles cannot have stubby bumpers

3. 40s are illegal in NJ on gladiators (but legal on wranglers manufactured recently, due to the xtreme recon package). True 39s are also illegal, but 38.5 39s are fine

4. Poke is okay on un-lifted. Illegal on lifted trucks. Unless you have good mudflaps (i'm pretty sure pro-poke people are anti-mudflap people 99% of the time)

5. Might have to skid plate your fuel tank, and potentially your exhaust.

6. Caster must remain (but not required to be at factory levels)

7. No wheel spacers on lifted vehicles

8. Gladiator maximum lift is 9 inches. A 285/70r17 to a 39.5 with a 4.5 inch lift is 7.895 inches, so pretty much everyone is safe here.
Poke?

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
Have a road trip planned in the next 2 weeks ending in Minnesota or possibly just over the Canadian border.
Minnesota looks questionable.
Anyone have feedback on issues?
Sponsored