Sponsored

How often should I lower and raise my spare to ensure the cable continues to function?

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
I just installed an OEM spare tire carrier on a Ram Promaster 3500. The cable doesn’t fill me with confidence.

How often should I lower and raise my spare on my Gladiator to ensure the cable continues to function?
I lower mine and clean then wipe it down with a light coating of machine oil at leat 2x per year. Usually Spring and Fall. I also crawl under the truck and spray any exposed bolts with fluid film.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
Dropped mine when I put on a hitch, about 32,000 miles. Was as good shape. Put some grease on the cable to be safe.
Had a Ford Expedition years ago, going down a 2 lane highway, heard a loud bang and bump, looked in rear view mirror, about 5 seconds goes by and I see the spare tire dropping from the sky. Bounced across the highway and stopped along the jersey barrier. Luckily there was a lull in traffic and no one was nearby. Got home and looked under the truck, the cable had rotted and snapped.

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I do 5 way rotations every 5k miles. I did it today actually. I haven’t had a problem with the cable with that frequency.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Dropped mine when I put on a hitch, about 32,000 miles. Was as good shape. Put some grease on the cable to be safe.
Had a Ford Expedition years ago, going down a 2 lane highway, heard a loud bang and bump, looked in rear view mirror, about 5 seconds goes by and I see the spare tire dropping from the sky. Bounced across the highway and stopped along the jersey barrier. Luckily there was a lull in traffic and no one was nearby. Got home and looked under the truck, the cable had rotted and snapped.
Did you see the vid of the tire coming off the pickup - sending a car flipping into the air?
It's totally crazy how things go wrong (sometimes because people do shitty work, or just don't take care of things, sometimes pure accident of chance) - and others pay for it.

And the way that happened, it could have involved MORE vehicles - if another had hit it as it rolled and bounced, it could have been a multi-car pile-up or accident.

Assume the worst, I guess.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
I did see that post. Looked like something you'd see out of a movie.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did see that post. Looked like something you'd see out of a movie.
Yeah, it was unreal, like those fake hollyweed shots where a speeding car always hits the back end of another and then goes air-born, rolling, flipping and exploding in an impressive ball of flame.
Heavy tire (mass) rolling with inertia, hit by another vehicle which is pulled upward by the rolling tire like a conveyor belt aided by the momentum of the car's mass trying to continue moving forward.

You just have no idea what's out there - likely half of what you pass has been worked on by an idiot - perhaps the owner himself, or hasn't been worked on but should have been.
What I saw when I worked in the shop that did 24/7/365 towing for the state and city along I80 was just plain scary - and often a result of someone doing something stupid or not doing something they should have. One was a case of a trailer coming loose and quickly stopping on the interstate at night and a couple not far behind hitting the trailer, both decapitated as their small car went under the end of the trailer which was sticking up higher than normal because the tongue was on the pavement. Some idiot either was towing something they shouldn't have, how they shouldn't have, or didn't bother to pay attention and connect correctly, etc. and he killed two people. That's one reason I cringe when I see some of the stuff talked about in towing. You can't get that sight out of your head. It's forever.

Toro34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 JKU Sport, 15 JK Sport, 23 Mojave
I know I'll be cleaning and lubing the power steps just put on pretty regular. A neighbor says he's seen the steps on other trucks seize up in our winters. He was concerned about my putting them on our Jeeps.
I'm sure you're already well versed, but I'd also check the wires and connectors and door magnets as well, throw on some dielectric grease or no-ox, etc

I saw a guy in traffic with his driver side step down, and when I pulled along side to notify him, I received a very annoyed "YEAH, I KNOW!..."

I doubt it was rust/lubrication, the Jeep looked pretty new

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Don’t worry about it; it’s a non-issue. This system has been in use for decades, and I’ve never had one not work.

I just installed an OEM spare tire carrier on a Ram Promaster 3500. The cable doesn’t fill me with confidence.

How often should I lower and raise my spare on my Gladiator to ensure the cable continues to function?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure you're already well versed, but I'd also check the wires and connectors and door magnets as well, throw on some dielectric grease or no-ox, etc

I saw a guy in traffic with his driver side step down, and when I pulled along side to notify him, I received a very annoyed "YEAH, I KNOW!..."

I doubt it was rust/lubrication, the Jeep looked pretty new
I used silicon dielectric on every connector in that harness. Even those inside the cab area (sometimes I wash things out ...........)
A clunk when they retract at first annoyed me - but now I actually listen for it. It's reassuring to hear that they came up.
I carry a spare 20 amp fuse in each Jeep as well as a spare magnet in each one (along with some 3M tape to attach it if necessary) Paranoid............ but it's so simple to carry those things in the little plastic jar that the magnets come in anyway. Drop it in the console or glove box. If nothing else a magnet could be held by a switch to raise the step then turn the switch off to keep it up.
Around here, the salt, sand, brine, ice, snow, mud, whatever, will necessitate keeping things cleaned and lubed.
But hey, same thing applies to the spare tire area.
What was the question again?

I enjoy the "never had one fail" bits - that's what, a handful out of tens of thousands of them in all climates and conditions. I heard a dealer complain about having trouble getting one down to swap tires around.
They are reliable as heck - but isn't it a moving part of the truck and what happened to maintenance? What else do some people fail to maintain, keep cleaned and lubed?
Brag about a 3,000 mile oil change but claim another moving part never needs to be touched (wait until the flat happens when it's 20 below on a February evening)
Minutes of preventative maintenance.
I wonder, if anyone actually checks the air pressure in their spare. Really nice being 40 miles from anything, having a flat and finding the spare is down to 5 pounds. I guess people just don't care?

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
Don’t worry about it; it’s a non-issue. This system has been in use for decades, and I’ve never had one not work.
Mine just quit working...the spare has been lowered and raised back into place maybe 5 times in 3 years...now it's hanging down about 12 inches and won't budge...