Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Reposting this from the JL forum, posted by JL Rubicon Diesel owner @rickinAZ

Link to original post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-regen-accomplished-on-jeep-jl-diesel.104228/

rickinAZ said:
For context, I'm retired, drive short hops only, and therefore never trigger a passive regen. The Jeep has 10,600 miles.

A few months ago my Jeep was regening about twice as often as usual and the DPF%s were bouncing around erratically, as opposed to increasing 1% at time. I took it to the dealer, they performed a forced regen, and my issues cleared up completely - frankly, I was surprised. But...I don't like going to the dealer unless there's a gun to my head.

So...fast-forward to this morning. I unpacked my new Foxwell NT510 Elite ($170 after rebate on Amazon), did a quick setup, and gave it a go.
  • Plug the scanner into the OBD (engine and key off)
  • Push the Jeep's start button twice to get to "run"
  • Allowed the scanner to "find" my VIN.
  • I navigated to the regen command. Don't recall the exact sequence of buttons, but it was intuitive. [Remember the Alfaobd intiminated me; this did not.]
  • Started the engine
  • Activated the regen on the scanner

The rpms raised to 2,500 and stayed there for 19 minutes, and then the engine returned to idle. My soot level was initially only at 50%; at 80% it may have taken longer. Unfortunately, the scanner now occupied the OBD slot so I was unable to monitor soot percentage progress and exhaust temperatures via my iDash. I switched off the ignition, replaced the scanner with my iDash cable, and, voila, DPF was sitting at 8%.

This was a stationary forced regen, not one that required driving.

I was originally going to use Alfaobd on a Windows PC (I don't have an Android device), but the instructions were intimidating, and I wanted a unit that I could keep in my glovebox.
Sponsored

Marinertom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JT Diesel. 19’ Cherokee
Occupation
Mariner
Thank you for posting that. It’s great to know!

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
How to do a manual regen...

Buy a tool
tool does all the work for you

I was expecting a real manual regen button combination when I saw the title but I don't think we're quite there yet.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Justin,
I have zero experience with the Jeep diesel, but with our buses, when they get too 'sooted up' to even re-gen, just hold your foot on the pedal (about 2500-3000 rpm) for 5-10 minutes and that should help lower the back pressure enough for a re-gen.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Good info to know, but at the same time I'd rather take the Jeep for an extended drive than have it sit and high idle for the same amount of time.

Just me though, everybody has their reasons.
Sponsored