Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Hello,

First regen with indication on the dash was on 19-Dec at 1479 km (= 919 miles).
Yesterday 25-Dec the 2nd regen, at 1678 km. The dash says "weiterfahren" (= continue driving), when i had to stop at a red light a notification bell sound was given by the car.

The longest trips in this week were 40 km or 25 km one way, the remaining were mostly short trips < 5 km.

My last Diesel with AdBlue system was a new Audi A5, in 3 years and 75k km it did only one regen with indication in the dash.
This looks like the situation where your diesel has tried multiple times to complete an Active Regen (AR) unsuccessfully and this time it actually flashes up on the dash to let you know this is the last time it's going to try to complete before it will require you to go to a dealership to force an AR.

This is what happens with frequent short trips, I experience this also as I make many short trips that does not allow the DPF to get hot enough to passively regen some of the soot away.

If you pay attention to your fuel mileage you might notice a decrease if there have been multiple (failed) attempts to perform an AR as diesel is injected into the DPF during an AR to increase the temperature to fully burn off the soot collected.
Sponsored

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
I'm almost at 20k and I have never seen a Regen but I drive mostly long trips.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Never that I'm aware of. Got a little over 10k on it.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
I'm almost at 20k and I have never seen a Regen but I drive mostly long trips.
The only time you would see anything on the dash about a regen is after multiple failed attempts at a regen, that doesn't mean you've never had one.

If you typically drive long distances then it would be far more common that the regen would complete on the first attempt each time.

Suszynch

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt rubicon diesel
Occupation
Chef
Had my dash message come on at 1150 miles for regen, I do drive a lot of short trips as works around the corner from me but with extended highway trips, so in a way they are mostly highway miles.
Unfortunately, couldn't keep driving for the regen but afterwork took a 35 minute loop up some mountain-isk highway and from the smell it seems to have cleaned itself up a bit.

Cold weather warm ups seems to be what's getting me currently, every now and then I like to drop it two gears going up a grade to get the exhaust nice and hot, hopefully helping burn some of that soot out.

Sponsored

Barbarian

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jtur diesel 21
Occupation
Business
Just hit 20 k miles . Never any dash message or any other hint of regen happening. Drive it just like my 2017 3.6 jk. Same kind of 4 wheelin, same 12 miles city to work . No issues so far . Did notice a decrease in mpg at 18k cured that with an air filter change . Diesel basically exactly replicates my 2015 ram .

BuckeyeButch

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara, 2021 Gladiator Overland & 2000 Cor
Occupation
Retired
at 8K miles I had to refill the factory fill. After that I've been pulling a 6X10 Enclosed trailer for moving purposes maybe 3K pounds loaded. While doing all interstate driving, I'm needing to refill the DEF tank every round trip 1,100 mi. @ 65-70 MPH
This doesn't seem normal

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator eco diesel overland
Occupation
Retired Army
Letting the engine simply idle during an active regen did not work when it happened to me ... I was making the short drive to my son's baseball practice of which I help coach and checked regen status just as I was pulling up and noticed it was in Active Regen, I told my son to grab his stuff quickly so I could go drive for 10 minutes or so. It took him a minute or so while I was parked (idling) and all of a sudden the regen turned off but it stayed at 100% soot level as per OBD Fusion app. It stayed at 100% for probably another 250 miles and 8 or 10 starts until it went into AR again.

So the moral of the story is, if you know it's in AR you need to keep driving!

I have never seen anything on the dash to indicate an Active Regen is in process, I only know because I'm running a gauge cluster on my OBD Fusion App that connects to the OBD II port via bluetooth. I can see when it's in Passive Regen (DPF regen status = 0; DPF regen type = 1) or Active Regen (DPF regen status = 1; DPF regen type = 1).

If you see something on your dash that says you need to drive at highway speed for xx minutes that means that an Active Regen has been started (possibly several times) and never completed and the DPF is literally approaching 100%, if you don't finish that specific regen the engine will go into limp mode and require the dealer to perform a forced AR.

This is why I made sure I had gauges that could accurately show when the regens were happening and I didn't shut off the engine or park idle while it was in AR.
So you won’t know your going through a regen without a scanner or gauge plugged in? hmmm I drive about 5 miles then hit highway for 10miles 70mph, but I also drive 60 plus on backroads to highway. 27000 miles I have not notice one yet. Wow maybe I need to read up on this more. I have noticed my fan kicks on before I’m over 200 temp on engine and coolant. Wondering if that is going through a regen and I just did tknow any better…lol

Bananaman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green Sport S JTRD
Occupation
Cabinet maker
So you won’t know your going through a regen without a scanner or gauge plugged in? hmmm I drive about 5 miles then hit highway for 10miles 70mph, but I also drive 60 plus on backroads to highway. 27000 miles I have not notice one yet. Wow maybe I need to read up on this more. I have noticed my fan kicks on before I’m over 200 temp on engine and coolant. Wondering if that is going through a regen and I just did tknow any better…lol
Correct. You can't tell when it's doing it unless you have your instant MPG display up. You'll see a noticeable drop in MPG for about 5-10 minutes. I have a Banks gauge and can see it coming. Usually soot levels get to about 85-88% before it kicks in.

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator eco diesel overland
Occupation
Retired Army
Correct. You can't tell when it's doing it unless you have your instant MPG display up. You'll see a noticeable drop in MPG for about 5-10 minutes. I have a Banks gauge and can see it coming. Usually soot levels get to about 85-88% before it kicks in.
Yeah thinking about getting the idash with the daringer tuner….just waiting to see if any flash programable stuff comes out the kind I don’t have to send computer off. Something I can set all back to stock if need be

Sponsored

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I have an iDash. My trip to work is about 15 minutes each way. I have probably seen 6-7 passive regens over the course of 3500 miles. Soot level gets to 80 or so, passive regen kicks in, EGT 3 goes north of 1000 degrees and the regen shuts off with DPF under 10% if I let it run all the way. Have yet to see an active regen with the message on the dash.

Without the iDash, the only real indication is the smell (exhaust smells really hot when you have the windows rolled down) and the fact that auto start/stop won’t activate under a regen.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
I have an iDash. My trip to work is about 15 minutes each way. I have probably seen 6-7 passive regens over the course of 3500 miles. Soot level gets to 80 or so, passive regen kicks in, EGT 3 goes north of 1000 degrees and the regen shuts off with DPF under 10% if I let it run all the way. Have yet to see an active regen with the message on the dash.

Without the iDash, the only real indication is the smell (exhaust smells really hot when you have the windows rolled down) and the fact that auto start/stop won’t activate under a regen.
So lest anyone get confused here... this is a perfect description of an active regen. Happens when DPF gets to 80+, EGT3 goes to 1000+, definitely can smell something very hot, DPF rapidly drops to under 10. 6-7 over 3500 miles is about right too.

Passive regen is when you're on the highway, and DPF slowly drops by a percentage point a minute or so, no temperature changes.

I don't know what the iDash displays exactly... 0/1/2 I guess? My Scangauge just has a regen-active (RGN) readout (ON/OFF) and the top description is exactly what happens when it reads ON. Passive regen, where DPF drops a few percent, reads OFF.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
So lest anyone get confused here... this is a perfect description of an active regen. Happens when DPF gets to 80+, EGT3 goes to 1000+, definitely can smell something very hot, DPF rapidly drops to under 10. 6-7 over 3500 miles is about right too.

Passive regen is when you're on the highway, and DPF slowly drops by a percentage point a minute or so, no temperature changes.

I don't know what the iDash displays exactly... 0/1/2 I guess? My Scangauge just has a regen-active (RGN) readout (ON/OFF) and the top description is exactly what happens when it reads ON. Passive regen, where DPF drops a few percent, reads OFF.
I am pretty sure in passive regen EGT goes up. I see 1000 with any throttle application when normally it goes 600-700-800-900-1000 when its doing passive regen it goes 600-1000. I am assuming even when passive that the ecu is doing something to burn the soot off.

I have never seen an active regen.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
Yes correct, same as what @Bananaman said ... without some sort of gauge it's going to be really hard to know when an Active Regen is coming or actually occurring.

You won't ever "notice one" without access to the correct PID's from the OBD2 port, Jeep did not bother to include information about DPF regenerations on the dash UNLESS you are at the point of requiring an Active Regen that will send you into limp mode because there's been several failed completions of an Active Regen.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
I am pretty sure in passive regen EGT goes up. I see 1000 with any throttle application when normally it goes 600-700-800-900-1000 when its doing passive regen it goes 600-1000. I am assuming even when passive that the ecu is doing something to burn the soot off.

I have never seen an active regen.
A Passive Regen is simply a combination of full operating temp (coolant ~200F + oil ~200+F) and the DPF temp typically in the 500+F range that is caused by higher sustained EGT's (such as driving highway speeds)

I don't believe the ECU has to do anything particular for a Passive Regen to occur, it really just comes down to the DPF temps being high enough to burn off any new and existing soot in the DPF without having to add Diesel fuel to the mix which is what happens during an Active Regen.
Sponsored