Sponsored

I need a steel rear bumper, any recommendations?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I posted earlier about JCR Expedition1, I went JCR. Not cheap but looks right, gains hitch clearance and has side protection which was a must for me.

Jeep Gladiator I need a steel rear bumper, any recommendations? 20201213_182706
Sponsored

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
Try your best to find a stock take-off. All of the aftermarket rear bumpers look out of place, or pretty bad...IMO.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I like my DV8 High clearance rear bumper. It goes up in the corners to help with breakoff angle and it's stout. You can add the DV8 side protection as well, I plan on doing those as well.
These are the rear protector for the sides

https://dv8offroad.com/products/srgl-01
Jeep Gladiator I need a steel rear bumper, any recommendations? PXL_20210107_204721450
Jeep Gladiator I need a steel rear bumper, any recommendations? PXL_20201219_123559395

Jeep Gladiator I need a steel rear bumper, any recommendations? PXL_20201018_114048949

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
The only rear bumper that I’ve found that I really like is the @RebelOffRoad Summit Series with the bedside slider steps:

Jeep Gladiator I need a steel rear bumper, any recommendations? 4F2A0B18-31F0-43A2-9679-FB4A6F2E317E

Sponsored

DavoSmith

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4 Runner
Occupation
Plumber
I too am looking for a steel rear bumper option. For my particular build I'd like a one piece, high clearance steel bumper that incorporates side/corner protection.

So far I can't seem to find anything that fits the bill: High clearance and can handle multiple hard all the weight of the vehicle drops.

I like the way “[Banned Site]” easily trimmed 3-4” off of his rear corners to bring the sheet metal of the corner up even with the bottom frame rail. Video attached.

I like how high and thin the Off Road Evolution Rear High N Tight bumper is, but it lacks side corner protection. Moving the license plate up to the tailgate and incorporating the bike rack capable (not tow rated) hitch into the bumper and not having it hang down below the bumper is key for optimizing clearance. https://offroadevolution.com/products/jeep-gladiator-rear-high-n-tight-rear-bumper

Motobilt's Crusher Rear Bumper with Corner Frame Mounts is a solid piece but it isn't high clearance by any means and keeps the low hanging tow hitch drag anchor.
https://motobilt.com/collections/je...r-w-gladiator-rear-bumper-corner-frame-mounts

Built For Dirt has a solid one piece, high clearance design but he isn't selling them. It is't the most refined bumper but is by far the most practical for my purposes.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I too am looking for a steel rear bumper option. For my particular build I'd like a one piece, high clearance steel bumper that incorporates side/corner protection.

So far I can't seem to find anything that fits the bill: High clearance and can handle multiple hard all the weight of the vehicle drops.

I like the way “[Banned Site]” easily trimmed 3-4” off of his rear corners to bring the sheet metal of the corner up even with the bottom frame rail. Video attached.

I like how high and thin the Off Road Evolution Rear High N Tight bumper is, but it lacks side corner protection. Moving the license plate up to the tailgate and incorporating the bike rack capable (not tow rated) hitch into the bumper and not having it hang down below the bumper is key for optimizing clearance. https://offroadevolution.com/products/jeep-gladiator-rear-high-n-tight-rear-bumper

Motobilt's Crusher Rear Bumper with Corner Frame Mounts is a solid piece but it isn't high clearance by any means and keeps the low hanging tow hitch drag anchor.
https://motobilt.com/collections/je...r-w-gladiator-rear-bumper-corner-frame-mounts

Built For Dirt has a solid one piece, high clearance design but he isn't selling them. It is't the most refined bumper but is by far the most practical for my purposes.
I wish I could go with a high clearance bumper that moves the hitch up, but my trailer is pushing 5,000lbs. Unless one of them get rated for actual towing I'm not willing to switch it.

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I wish I could go with a high clearance bumper that moves the hitch up, but my trailer is pushing 5,000lbs. Unless one of them get rated for actual towing I'm not willing to switch it.
You want the Kaymar bumper, moves the hitch up, Aussie company, and it's rated 7650lb.

TOWING CAPACITY - NORTH AMERICA

Maximum Braked Capacity: 7650 lbs
Maximum Unbraked Capacity: 1650 lbs
Maximum Static Ball Load: 765 lbs
https://kaymar.com.au/filescust25/K703037.pdf

CONS (for me) is that I don't like their integrated light, looks a bit cheap and I'm not sure how easy it is to replace with something else due to the form factor. Whereas bumpers like expedition one (no hitch relocation, not considered high clearance) have cutout for Baja Squadrons etc so they are a bit more flexible on what can be installed.

Last edited:

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
You want the Kaymar bumper, moves the hitch up, Aussie company, and it's rated 7650lb.

https://kaymar.com.au/filescust25/K703037.pdf
I came into this thread to suggest the Kaymar, but looks like you beat me to it :)

I have this bumper, and I absolutely love it. It handles hard drops well, and is still tucked up and out of the way. Also holds a 40" tire, and has built-in lights and camera.

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I would love a video of it because there is very limited info on internet installed on a JT. If you have some time it doesn't need to be polished or anything. Just interested in:
- the overall look
- how far the swings open if you have them, I know there is some sort of gas strut system
- how do you like the lights they've added in terms of power, look etc?

Photos / written feedback would be as equally appreciated if you're not into video stuff :)

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I would love a video of it because there is very limited info on internet installed on a JT. If you have some time it doesn't need to be polished or anything. Just interested in:
- the overall look
- how far the swings open if you have them, I know there is some sort of gas strut system
- how do you like the lights they've added in terms of power, look etc?

Photos / written feedback would be as equally appreciated if you're not into video stuff :)

Thank you in advance!
Here is a video with a brief overview (skip to about 5:45ish) :

I have some photos on my build thread, as well as a few other rear bumper threads in here. My IG has the most content, though -- @Jeepasaurus_Rex

The arms open a little further past 90 degrees. The strut system helps them open, and it does so very well. It also helps keep them open on slight camber situations (but nothing extreme).

The lights are great! Since my driver side tail light is blocked completely from the tire, having the bumper lights for turn signals, and reverse really comes in handy.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Thanks, seen the video already 😬
Found you on IG yeah, dropped you a message.

thanks!
Awesome! I'll be able to help you out shortly, hopefully :)

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I was rear-ended by a Wrangler. For 100 smackers I picked up a take off steel Rubicon rear bumper. Good-nuff for me, was definitely a upgrade from the plastic bumper.
Nice bumper, curious if it is available locally without the swing outs. I don't want to add a bunch of weight that far back while also towing a trailer.
Sponsored