I Think I've Decided On a Different Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruticus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Gladiator JT; Copperhead Willy's Wrangler Unlimited JL
In my opinion, it's too expensive for what you get. I also have concerns about what seem to be common Jeep trouble issues which would detract from the experience for me as well.
With respect, I think these are ill-informed rationalizations for what has become an emotional purchase decision (i.e., the move to a Durango SRT).

Don't get me wrong--I've made lots of pseudo-irrational car purchase decisions. But the Gladiator is not only well-built and reliable (I have literally had zero issues since purchase--the only car out of 30-ish autos I've had for which this has been true), you actually get a lot for your money... the fact that you can remove everything means they've basically built a car on top of a car. Take a careful look and it starts to become obvious where money was spent. When you do that with a Durango, it starts to become obvious where money wasn't spent.
Sponsored

TravisH88

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S W/ Max Tow
Why didn't you go with the Ranger instead of the Gladiator? You'd have gotten an amazing deal on leftover stock right now, they're also using a turbo on their 2.3L 4cyl engine.
Because Iā€™m a Jeep guy at heart and the appeal of the Gladiator was too much to pass up. Iā€™ve mostly had older XJā€™s, TJā€™s, WKā€™s and WJā€™s though other than a newer JK rubicon for a while. I love the aftermarket support for the Jeeps, itā€™s the only vehicle with this mush support. And if Iā€™m going to actually off road nothing beats the solid front axle. There are just some serious deals to be had in the full size world.

Skylandry

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My JT is AWESOME! Can't wait for good weather to take the top off. I could not be happier with my purchase... well, if I got it for free but that was not going to happen - so it's all :):):) for me
I just broke 12k miles and have no major or minor annoyance other then my desire for more foot room :)....but nowhere else can I take the top off my truck!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The Gladiator is only too expensive for people that don't know what they're doing. Otherwise it doesn't really cost anymore than the Tacoma or Ranger and you get way more truck and experience for that dollar.
Not sure if I would word it that way - but then- when I first came here looking and wondering, I ran across posts here and in other places where people countered the "Gladiator is too expensive" bit by going to the Toyota, Ford and other sites where you can also "build your own" and they loaded up those mid-sized trucks with the same sort of equipment they may want or get in a JT - the end result was that once one of the others was loaded up with the same or similar options (and apparently the others don't include 4x4 when you see their MSRP listed out there) - there wasn't the huge difference in price. The remaining differences could be attributed to removable tops and other stuff the others simply didn't offer or have.
Yeah, still not cheap, but they showed the reality - and that was people were using the wrong numbers to say the others were so much less expensive.
I WANTED a Jeep - that was that.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Heaven forbid someone consider a Jeep purchase then decide against! :)
Nope. I'd say, "heaven forbid someone considering a Jeep purchase then deciding against it AND POSTING IT ON A JEEP FORUM" but that's just me

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Because Iā€™m a Jeep guy at heart and the appeal of the Gladiator was too much to pass up. Iā€™ve mostly had older XJā€™s, TJā€™s, WKā€™s and WJā€™s though other than a newer JK rubicon for a while. I love the aftermarket support for the Jeeps, itā€™s the only vehicle with this mush support. And if Iā€™m going to actually off road nothing beats the solid front axle. There are just some serious deals to be had in the full size world.
It's absolutely amazing what I can still buy for my 04 WJ - even rocker panels, headlights, fog lights, stuff I am sure I don't even know about.
And the 4.0 in that thing - I can get PERFORMANCE parts for it. (I have a prototype performance head for a 4.0 but not sure if I'll use it on that or my SX4 4.0 - it's one of only three made)

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
You can even still get factory replacement parts, including body parts or an entire Mopar/Willyā€™s Body for a CJ2 1946 Jeep!

Bt_okst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trd pro
When it was first coming out I was pumped, but as it drug along month after month waiting to get what I wanted and no one could tell me when I could, I had time to shop around and ultimately I decided I wanted more truck than what the gladiator offers so I went with a raptor and have never looked back. Glad some of you all are enjoying your trucks as I have mine.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Heaven forbid someone consider a Jeep purchase then decide against! :)
Same thing happens on any other brand/model specific vehicle forum where someone makes a post on why they are switching teams. It is lizard brain tribal psychology coming into play. While probably not intended, your reasoning comes off insulting those who are committed to the ownership experience. People tend to respect those that actually had skin in the game owning one and then leaving for valid reasons after the fact versus someone who never got out the gate owning one and the latter situation comes off a bit skewed to most.

Last edited:

Bt_okst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trd pro
Same thing happens on any other brand/model specific vehicle forum where someone makes a post on why they are switching teams. It is lizard brain tribal psychology coming into play. While probably not intended, you reasoning comes off insulting those who are committed to the ownership experience. People tend to respect those that actually had skin in the game owning one and then leaving for valid reasons after the fact versus someone who never got out the gate owning one and the latter situation comes off a bit skewed to most.
I've had several jeeps and still have one at our cabin. This wasnt meant as an antijeep post rather I was saying that since I kept being put off from being able to order one as I wanted that I had time to figure out I might be better served by a different vehicle. And I also said I was happy for those of you that liked your gladiators. There were some that said they didnt so that is why the those of you who liked them comment.

I saw a dark gray rubicon today and thought it looked damn sharp.

I've had back surgery and just decided for an everyday truck I preferred having a seat that was very maneuverable by power and that had heated and cooled seats etc. And once I drove a loaded raptor with all of its features I decided that I preferred it. I think those of you who stuck it out also have a nice truck and wish you nothing but great enjoyment with your gladiators.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Bad back problems from years/decades of lifting and carrying things I should not have...... uber-curve to the lower spine. Finding a vehicle with a seat that I could sit in for hours was difficult - about the only things comfortable at all were my two Javelins - the seats in them fine. My Eagle seats, well, ok, for a while. The Chevy seats - after an hour I wanted out of the seat, heat or not, and tons of adjustments.
Then I drove the JT for a while - told my wife again tonight they are about the most comfortable vehicle seat I've ever been in, could drive that thing for hours. The seats in this truck cradle me and hold my back just right. (the heat doesn't hurt, either- I drive with the seat heat on at least mid-temp even when it's 45 out.
Wish the Silverado seats had been half this comfortable. And I found I can stretch my legs out and not even touch the firewall in front of me, and have a place for my right foot when using cruise - not so with the Chevy. A bit narrow on the right side, but still I can get my right foot between the pedals and out of the way when on cruise. Not possible with the Chevy.
I'm going to like driving this thing to Colorado Springs next summer.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I've had several jeeps and still have one at our cabin. This wasnt meant as an antijeep post rather I was saying that since I kept being put off from being able to order one as I wanted that I had time to figure out I might be better served by a different vehicle. And I also said I was happy for those of you that liked your gladiators. There were some that said they didnt so that is why the those of you who liked them comment.

I saw a dark gray rubicon today and thought it looked damn sharp.

I've had back surgery and just decided for an everyday truck I preferred having a seat that was very maneuverable by power and that had heated and cooled seats etc. And once I drove a loaded raptor with all of its features I decided that I preferred it. I think those of you who stuck it out also have a nice truck and wish you nothing but great enjoyment with your gladiators.
Merry Christmas ! Good luck with your new truck.
Note: Personally, I do not like power seats because you cannot lay the back all the way down horizontal to take a break from driving or wheeling. I loved that feature on my old Land Cruiser FJ62, and when I saw it in the Jeep, I was ecstatic. When you are in a pinch, nothing like getting horizontal.

Last edited:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
If you think Jeepā€™s are unreliable, drive a Land Rover for a while! Also, the maintenance costs are eye watering.

List all the things you like about the JT, then list all the things that are important to you and compare that list to any other vehicle. For me, that sealed the JT deal. I love my Gladiator and am taking full advantage of almost every upgrade available. Rock on Jeep!

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I studied and deliberated for months and months. I joined forums where there was the highest concentration of enthusiasts imaginable, and hung on their every complaint regardless how minor or major. I memorized engineering data, load capacities, gear ratios and everything else I could consume.

But in the end, I just didn't feel like a toaster would make a good blender, and I really like my smoothies, so I bought a blender.

I still think toasters are really cool, and I'm going to hang around just so I can tell you guys how happy I am with my blender, and about those great smoothies I just can't make with a toaster.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
With any other vehicle besides the JT or Wrangle there are big savings on aftermarket parts and mods because there is a very limited supply, get used to an almost stock vehicle.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.