Sponsored

If you had no jeep and just acquired $100,000....

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
What would you with your money? That is also Canadian funds.

Do you be responsible and buy some land to build a house? Do you buy the jeep you've always wanted? Other suggestions? Hypothetically speaking of course.
invest it. Or the house you need. Vehicles are depreciating liabilities; not investment assets.
Sponsored

J.Noack

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner
This totally depends on ones personal financial situation and needs. Completely depends on each persons situation.

Most people who have a gladiator either:
a) have a decent amount of disposable income to buy if outright or
b) have decent credit and income to
be able to afford one.

if you couldn’t afford one in the first place, you probably shouldn’t buy one with the 100k. If you could already afford one, 100k probably wouldn’t change the decision or way you built it.

to me... It wouldn’t have changed a thing. I would have put the 100k in more real estate and still financed the exact same amount and rate. Same max tow, same set up. Interest paid based on current rates is nominal, especially based on some of the deals people are getting.
What he said, real estate.

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Hmmm, So, I assume I have no Jeep but I had my previous vehicle before it. As much as I love my JT, I'd probably buy a used FJ and bank the rest....

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
To be clear, I do not have $100k. In a perfect world, I take an initial investment of $2500 and turn it into 25 million bucks. Yes, if by some miracle, the stock gods rain bills down on me like a rapper in an early 2000s music video, I would happily re-invest the majority of it into something that is going to make my money work for me and live off the income or interest while I finish out the last few years of my career, move to Bora Bora and live in a hut on the water while I have my little rum bar on the beach until I am too old to do anything but drool and eat blended steak and potatoes smoothies. I love the idea of making money while doing nothing. Who doesn't? This type of advice is obviously the best and most sound advice for long-term benefit for just about anyone.

I have seen a lot of flashy houses, cars and toys from members on here. Many of us (the forum collective) have made some very smart choices in our lives to get those things. I am guessing just many of us went the other way and can only dream about the things they won't ever have and then there are the rest of us who made some good choices and some bad and live pretty much pay cheque to pay cheque but have enough to get by and still have some beer in the fridge after they feed their kids.

That said, the ideas on how to re-invest are interesting to me and hopefully things I can one day apply to make some of my dreams come true. Just as interesting to me, is how one would burn through $100,000 because....well....ya can't take it with ya and your kids are a-holes and don't deserve it (mine are angels...mostly...just for the record).

So yeah, fire away with the best and the worst ideas you can come up with.
Hmm.. Which stock are you talking about?? ..

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Overall leasing IS the most profitable financial tool for the industry...

...BUT if person B keeps his for another 42 months and person A leases another, the gap gets even bigger.
I don't care how much the industry makes. What I care about is my overall cost during my posession of the vehicle. A lease is paying an agreed upon depreciation. Waiting for a factory lease incentive special gives an artificially low depreciation that puts more sales numbers up for a given model. When the right deal comes along like that, you can't even buy a used one out of warranty for less money out of pocket overall. Remember, when it's out of warranty (another 42 months, for instance) you're on the hook for all repairs. That's money out of pocket too, and it has to be counted. The risk is high when you've paid for a vehicle AND you've got to pay for repairs.

With a 3 year lease that's artifically padded in my favor, no to little money down, and it's under warranty, then I'll take that over paying a larger sum up front and higher payments for a longer period of time on an aging vehicle that's out of warranty. Miles driven can be a factor here, which is why I chose to buy my Jeep. The Jeep has a great chance of higher than average resale value anyway, so that's a definite plus. I just checked KBB and the trade-in value is almost exactly what I paid for the truck 6 months and almost 10,000 miles ago. Wow.

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I'm going to give the worst suggestion ever.
Donate it to your favorite politician.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
Have one that graduated a few years ago and 1 in college now.

Had one that got into Norte Dame. It’s $78k a year now. Now amount of savings would have allowed her to go there :). She went to a Big 10 school instead.
pretty impressive to be admitted to ND. that’s a real accomplishment that she should be proud of. I’m not sure I have that kind of coin figured into the equation right now but I’m in a lot better position than my parents were.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I'm going to give the worst suggestion ever.
Donate it to your favorite politician.
That’s not necessarily bad advice if you know that politician personally. :bandit:

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
A real Hemi (Gen2) swap - and a few tacos with what's left over.....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful with real estate. Some lost their shirts on it. Depends on location, timing, politics, world events. Ask a few folks what happened in the 1980s. I know a college prof who made a mint in real estate but it took a long time and a ton of work. Another fellow - the guy who got me started into antique engines, started a garbage hauling business, invested his earnings in real estate and rental properties and ended up a multi-millionaire, starting out with only a clunky used pickup truck he bought when he was a teen.
A lot depends on your AGE. When young you can handle a lot of ups and downs and wait when things go south - but imagine those who were ready to retire - or so they thought - about 2008. Some worked as Walmart greeters for a few years.

I've never been "high income" - for 7 years my income was below poverty level and I showed losses for a couple of years. I met my current wife and we left the farm and when all was said and done, I left with exactly what I started with. My possessions, such as they were and about 10K.
in the early 90s I worked as an electrician for PFG and made a whopping 13K a year. Then they rearranged things and we got upped to 16K. No savings, no retirement plans.
I got by doing contract work - and work in my own shop (auto repair, etc. and IT services setting up networks and network security systems)
In about 2004 I got on with the state. That meant not only IPERS but they had a savings match program - you saved xx dollars out of each check they would match you up to a certain amount. It was free money. Many dummies there didn't take advantage. All I had to do was set aside money from each check and they'd give me free money. Good grief, why not???? Well, many didn't.
Each time there was a raise, if we were doing ok, that raise got put into that match program. (government, the governor froze our wages for several years!)
I was also frugal with time off. If I was sick, I used my vacation time. If I needed to see a doctor, I told them I needed family time.... and used vacation.
When you retired, your unused sick leave hours were taken times your salary at retirement and that much money was set aside to pay for health insurance. (and vacation time they paid you as a check)
I left there at age 60 with enough SLIP (Sick Leave Insurance Program) to pay for my health insurance until just past age 65. (minus $40 a month I pay because insurance rates have skyrocketed since retirement)

Anyway, the bottom line - don't think you have to have it all and have it now. Think ahead.
We are living as well as if not better than, when we both worked. Barbara retired 6 years ago, I will be retired 4 years next March. Still not "wealthy" by any means, but then the more stuff you have, the more stress there is and the more maintenance and taxes.

That Roper stock - I broke every rule and said " let it ride" and it split once, it dropped HUGE, like by 2/3 in 2008, but about 4 years later it fully recovered and then some. I have since split that up and now have a great guy managing it all. We live on IPERS and the earnings off our state set-aside money and my CCC 401K and the money managers suggest unless something HUGELY bad happens, we'll die with more than we retired with.

So - take that 100K, invest WISELY. Let's assume the person getting this 100K is doing ok now - not starving, bills are being paid. You don't "need" it as much as you "want it".
If you are in your 20s and you invest that wisely, you can write your own ticket later.
Get your credit rating up - with great credit all you have to do is ask and you'll get money.

Here's what investing and not demanding it all right now can do - my son and his wife are having a new large home built in a gated community in Florida. They have a home in Korea. His wife runs two schools over there -she owns them. They travel when they want, where they want and are raising a bi-lingual son. My son is 38 and his credit score is just a point lower than mine.

Sponsored

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I don't care how much the industry makes. What I care about is my overall cost during my posession of the vehicle. A lease is paying an agreed upon depreciation. Waiting for a factory lease incentive special gives an artificially low depreciation that puts more sales numbers up for a given model. When the right deal comes along like that, you can't even buy a used one out of warranty for less money out of pocket overall. Remember, when it's out of warranty (another 42 months, for instance) you're on the hook for all repairs. That's money out of pocket too, and it has to be counted. The risk is high when you've paid for a vehicle AND you've got to pay for repairs.

With a 3 year lease that's artifically padded in my favor, no to little money down, and it's under warranty, then I'll take that over paying a larger sum up front and higher payments for a longer period of time on an aging vehicle that's out of warranty. Miles driven can be a factor here, which is why I chose to buy my Jeep. The Jeep has a great chance of higher than average resale value anyway, so that's a definite plus. I just checked KBB and the trade-in value is almost exactly what I paid for the truck 6 months and almost 10,000 miles ago. Wow.
Tell yourself any lie you want.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I would have this.

Bruce

Jeep Gladiator If you had no jeep and just acquired $100,000.... 1608422300064

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Pay off the pool/backyard loan, save the rest, and keep paying the monthly on my Jeep
Sponsored