Sponsored

Is anyone else’s steering worse after the steering box upgrade?

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’m hoping it can be adjusted. Kinda scary when you are in a turn and it darts in the opposite direction you are turning. Did not do this before. Thinking they messed something up. Stability Control just failed also—saying it needs to be serviced. Related?
Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Definitely bring it back.... my steering is 100% better after my TSB was performed

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
100% improvement, in fact I did not even know I had a problem until after the update and noticing the difference.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is no different. Wasn't horrible, just wonky. Still wonky. I think maybe they didn't align the front end or something.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is not bad at all but it wasn't bad before the TSB. I noticed some difference for the better but it definitely didn't get worse. If it wasn't free the TSB would of been a waste in my case more than likely but who nose how long the aluminum box would of held up, that's why I did it

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
mine has original steering box 18k miles. one hand on wheel at highway speeds. OP needs desler to fix it or replace it. some boxes are bad.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’m hoping it can be adjusted. Kinda scary when you are in a turn and it darts in the opposite direction you are turning. Did not do this before. Thinking they messed something up. Stability Control just failed also—saying it needs to be serviced. Related?
Sort of. Mine was done last fall and was better - for a while. Then during last winter, month after month it got worse. It wandered really bad. It would drift left, I'd compensate, then it would drive right, and so on. It was a chore keeping it between the lines - cops might think I was drunk.
So I took it back in to the dealer asked them to check it. A couple hours later they called and said they needed to keep the truck to replace the steering gear (again).
The paperwork said something like "steering gear, internal fault" or similar.
Now it's great. Drove it to Colorado Springs and back to Des Moines, and went up Pike's Peak with it, it was a perfect vehicle for that trip.

So yes, I got a new steering gear last year, it was ok, then got really bad, actually WORSE than the original, but now it's perfect.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
mine has original steering box 18k miles. one hand on wheel at highway speeds. OP needs desler to fix it or replace it. some boxes are bad.
same here. mine goes straight, doesnt have much play, and I am on the silver aluminum one. When i first test drove it before buying it seemed to wander, but after setting tire pressure right, and whatnot, it seems to be ok. I havent been in a rush to get mine done, but I want to at some point just because.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
The TSB calls for the vehicle to have an alignment done after install of new box. Even if you toe is not set correctly it can have negative effect during cornering. Was your steering wheel correctly centered?

KevinC

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The TSB calls for the vehicle to have an alignment done after install of new box. Even if you toe is not set correctly it can have negative effect during cornering. Was your steering wheel correctly centered?

KevinC
I've always wondered - where's the sensor for the system to know how many degrees left or right you are steering? The steering gear, or elsewhere?
It has to know if you are trying to go straight, taking a corner, etc. in order to detect stability issues and try to self-correct. Depending on where the sensing is done, if the steering wheel is off-center, would that not cause a possible issue with stability controls perhaps even other issues?
On systems up through at least the 80s if that was off-center if could cause ~ gasp ~ wander.......

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I've always wondered - where's the sensor for the system to know how many degrees left or right you are steering? The steering gear, or elsewhere?
It has to know if you are trying to go straight, taking a corner, etc. in order to detect stability issues and try to self-correct. Depending on where the sensing is done, if the steering wheel is off-center, would that not cause a possible issue with stability controls perhaps even other issues?
On systems up through at least the 80s if that was off-center if could cause ~ gasp ~ wander.......
I'm not sure where the sensor is but u do know if you have your steering wheel to far off center it will trigger the traction control, or at least it did on my JKU

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure where the sensor is but u do know if you have your steering wheel to far off center it will trigger the traction control, or at least it did on my JKU
I'm not surprised to hear that - and I was sort of wondering if it being off even by 2 or 3 degrees could cause some issues.
It's going straight and thinking you are trying to turn so it tries to fix things...........

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
Mine is much better after the TSB.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is better and I didn't think it was that bad to start. The steering is very precise now.