Sponsored

Is the diesel gladiator worth it?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I love my Diesel. I am running 37's with stock gearing, it's really quite, it wheels so much better than the gasser. I just got back from overland west and a day wheeling, 23 mph. driving in 110 degree heat, no problem
I'm getting 19-21 on 37's (KO2 AT's) but I drive a lot of city (and w/ summer, the Start/Stop doesn't activate which really kills my mileage). Running 65-70 mph on the freeway that's relatively flat I'm able to hold 23-24 mpg. I do have 4 1/2" of lift though. But even bone stock I was getting around the same (maybe 1 mpg better), granted I was running the 33" Falcon MTs.

I use the truck all the time as a truck, and it's nice to have the space for camping when I do it from time to time. It's my daily at the moment though I don't commute anywhere for work, so all my driving is in town.

But I gotta admit, I still prefer my wife's 2 door JLR (in Chief blue) over my Gladiator. Truck serves a purpose, but I find it's size to by cumbersome as well. It'll probably get the least amount of mileage once my 392 XR arrives. I've had the Gladiator for almost a year now and it has 7000 miles. Wife's 2 door has been here 8 months and it has 8000 miles. When I had my TJ with the 5.7 in it I drove that 30,000 miles in 18 months. Maybe I'm just less of a truck guy, I don't know.
Sponsored

Last edited:

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Yes.

JTRD with 2” Mopar lift and BFG KO2 35s. 18,000+ in 11 months. Lots of highways and lots of trails. Not a single issue. 27 mpg peak on highway. Overall average is around 23.

And it’s got kick.

azaustin

First Name
Willliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2014 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired
Yes.

JTRD with 2” Mopar lift and BFG KO2 35s. 18,000+ in 11 months. Lots of highways and lots of trails. Not a single issue. 27 mpg peak on highway. Overall average is around 23.

And it’s got kick.
You mentioned a. 2” Mopar lift. I asked my dealer parts guy if there was a small Mopar lift kit or stiffer springs and he said no. Do you have a part number for the 2” kit?

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
The 2” Mopar lift for the JT is well known. There are scores of threads here about them. Maybe your parts guy didn’t know what you meant by “small.”

It’s a great kit, with an overall better ride than the stock rubicon suspension in my view. Kits are different for gas and diesel, but here’s the tag on the crate from mine …

Jeep Gladiator Is the diesel gladiator worth it? EAD159ED-9EAF-4264-BB5A-4FA751CBABAD

Sponsored

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Next month I will have owned my JTRD for (1)one year. I specifically ordered and purchased the truck as an overland vehicle platform. The 3.0 EcoDiesel was the reason I waited for the 2021. I wanted this engine, I wanted the low gears of a Rubicon, I wanted a midsize truck, and I wanted what I believe is the most capable off-road platform to build on.

With 35" E-Rated tires, 2" Mopar lift, AirLift 1500 HD airbags, rear Hellwig Sway Bar, and upgraded Fox 2.5 adjustable shocks on all four corners. I also upgraded the steering components and Synergy steering box brace. RCV front axles along with Rock Hard skid reinforcements.

My original plan was to remove the bed and install a PCOR tray. Then add a flat bed pop-up camper. I had to wait (6)six-months for the tray to come from Australia. And was shopping for a small and light pop-up camper. 4Wheel Campers and Phoenix Campers were my final choice. Both were out over (12)twelve months completing the build. I finally chose a Phoenix Camper because it could be custom built just for the size of the Gladiator. Just before I sent my deposit for the camper I came across a used Phoenix camper on an RV lot is SLC. The measurements showed it would fit like a glove on the Gladiator. I purchased the camper over a month before the Gladiator would show up at the dealership. At 1300lbs wet I needed to loose some weight. I removed the rear seats on the truck. Remodeled the camper interior to shed weight. I am very comfortable with our build and how it drives, stops, and handles.

After (11)eleven months and over 26k miles the EcoDiesel engine has averaged right at 21.42 mpg. I have documented every mile and gallon of fuel since I took ownership. I have not had any issues at all with this powerplant. The off road low gear torque is amazing. With the camper on our average is 19.05 mpg. With the camper off it will average 24.13 with mixed driving. Last summer we pulled hills in Arizona with temperatures in the 100-110° range loaded with the camper. I saw oil temps in the 250 range but never defueled. This was pushing the truck on steep grades at 70 mph with the camper on and loaded.

This little truck makes me smile every time I hear the diesel purr and the feel the torque. My daughter has a JL with the 3.6. They have a small trailer and hate pulling it because of the lack of power and mileage. But it is a proven power plant without issues.

So what is good for some of us is not for others. I have no problems with DEF or the added cost to keep the EcoDiesel maintained. I wrench my own stuff and enjoy doing this.

For me, I can't imagine my Gladiator with a gasser.
Jeep Gladiator Is the diesel gladiator worth it? IMG_8257

Last edited:

ResurrectionManNH

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JT
Occupation
Defense Contractor
The diesel is absolutely worth it to me. I'm fine admitting that my primary reason for going with the diesel was for pure torquey fun - 442 lb-ft of torque is just an absolute blast to drive. Added bonus is the MPG - I average about 23mpg with 33s and a leveling kit. The DEF is no biggie - takes 5 mins in my garage to fill the tank every 3,000 miles or so and 5 gallons from Wal-Mart costs about $20. When purchasing I heavily took into account features I would enjoy most frequently and gotdam do I have fun with the diesel. Like everything else, the rare issues reported are few and far between and I have had none for over 6,000 miles.

Last edited:

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I just like the option of running 37’s on a diesel without having to regear.
You’ve made up half of the price of the diesel right there. The extra smiles is worth 2k to me. I would have gotten the auto anyway so those who say it’s a 6k must be democrats because they’re hiding the truth. The 8speed that comes with the diesel option is the same that comes with the SRT Durango. It’s a ZF transmission designed in Germany. They built a plant here in the states and Chrysler…or whatever they call themselves this month… bought the rights since they use it on so many cars.

The diesel JT definitely has some quirks, but all Jeeps do. Part of the fun is finding the work around.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S
As probably one of the earlier JT ecodiesel owners (I picked mine up just before last thanksgiving), here are my pros and cons to having the ecodiesel in our JTs.

Pros:
- Fantastic fuel economy (I’m getting around 25 MPG with my JTRD with A/T tyres and Mopar 2” lift)
- Awesome power for hauling/towing
- as a result of the diesel upcharge, you have a somewhat “limited edition” JT.

I think that’s it for the “Pros” list.

Cons:
- $6,500 pay to play upcharge (which if you’re only concerned about fuel, buys a lot of unleaded, and if you really want the power, that money could possibly pay for a HEMI swap or a supercharger for the 3.6L)
- increased price of diesel (in central Texas - at least 15-20 cents more expensive per gallon)
- decreased fuel capacity to make room for the DEF tank, negating the higher fuel economy, and therefore fuel tank range.
- DEF refill — two boxes every 4,000 miles or so.
- increased cost of engine oil and filter changes
- decreased availability of fuel stations
- fuel filler neck is small (regular petrol engine sized) so you can’t fill up at the “big truck” pumps
- if you travel into colder environments, you have to consider #2 fuel to keep your fuel tank and lines from freezing
- stock suspension (front springs) are not rated for the increased weight, ruining the ride, and (my opinion only) requiring you to shell out more cash for a suspension upgrade (some of us don’t intend to lift our trucks, thought I’m sure most of us do… so, maybe this is a wash - I just wish it wasn’t nearly mandatory) - oh, and forget a steel bumper and winch until after you put the lift on.
- decreased payload and towing capacities due to heavier weight of the diesel engine (my JTRD’s max tow is about 1,700lbs less than a 3.6L pentastar JT with similar options)
- engine is de-tuned to accommodate the reduced cooling capability of the JL/JT front end, so the engine doesn’t overheat
- do you think a snorkel would look cool? You need to make your own, because no one does, currently
- do you want an extended range fuel tank? You might be able to get the one that goes where the spare tyre goes, but I haven’t seen any specific aux tanks from either Titan or Long range America (they make one for the 3.6L

so, if you want to shell out the $6,500 upcharge and can deal with the cons, then the diesel might be right for you.
…so I’m going to try and be nice here, but it sounds like you are spewing read talking points like a (I chose to remove my liberal comment as those are fighting words…and I’m not trying to start one). It’s not a 6500 upgrade. You are including the transmission in that. Assuming you would get an auto with the 3.6 it’s a wash…kind of. For that matter, the 8HP75 transmission is a German designed ZF transmission that is much heavier duty and better transmission than the 850RE. So for the same $2,000 you’re getting better hardware.

#2 Diesel is the standard it’s not special. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I saw a #1 pump…who’s is what I think you were trying to refer to. During mid fall to late spring the refineries change the chemical additive package of the fuel so, with the exception of the most extreme cold temps, fuel will not be an issue. This is the reason fuel mileage does down in the winter months as it’s just a bit less efficient with the different anti-gel additives. Typically, if you add some Diesel service every other tank or so the motor will run smoother and quieter due to better lubricity lengthening the life of your fuel pump and injectors.

…with all the harsh talk you were putting out we better tell all of the Cummins, Power stroke and Duramax owners they better sell their trucks since they can’t find fuel…🤨. Put 2 5 gallon fuel cans in the bed of the truck and you’ve gained an extra 250 to 300 highway miles. Take them out when you’re not on a trip. That’s a 707 to 820 mile range using varying highway mileage. No way are you going to come close with that in a gasser. In myJT, depending how frisky I was feeling I’d get from 29 to 22 mpg (cruise set to 83mph into the wind) on my 2400 mile trip over Thanksgiving weekend.

Again, I know we all have different experiences and I’m trying my best not to flame here, but the 3.0 is a much more relaxed driving engine. When you want more you get to squeeze the throttle for power and smile. The 3.6…you have to mash it and hear it scream and get less in return.

I’ll stop here…I think I’ve made my point and my fingers are tired.

🍻

Last edited:

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea
You know you would lose, every which way.
Don’t know about that. What I do know is that I’d pass your butt while you were at the gas station every 300 to 320 miles with your bigger tank…😂

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
Yea

Don’t know about that. What I do know is that I’d pass your butt while you were at the gas station every 300 to 320 miles with your bigger tank…😂
Don't really care to be honest. Range is good enough.

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
S

…so I’m going to try and be nice here, but it sounds like you are spewing read talking points like a (I chose to remove my liberal comment as those are fighting words…and I’m not trying to start one). It’s not a 6500 upgrade. You are including the transmission in that. Assuming you would get an auto with the 3.6 it’s a wash…kind of. For that matter, the 8HP75 transmission is a German designed ZF transmission that is much heavier duty and better transmission than the 850RE. So for the same $2,000 you’re getting better hardware.

#2 Diesel is the standard it’s not special. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I saw a #1 pump…who’s is what I think you were trying to refer to. During mid fall to late spring the refineries change the chemical additive package of the fuel so, with the exception of the most extreme cold temps, fuel will not be an issue. This is the reason fuel mileage does down in the winter months as it’s just a bit less efficient with the different anti-gel additives. Typically, if you add some Diesel service every other tank or so the motor will run smoother and quieter due to better lubricity lengthening the life of your fuel pump and injectors.

…with all the harsh talk you were putting out we better tell all of the Cummins, Power stroke and Duramax owners they better sell their trucks since they can’t find fuel…🤨. Put 2 5 gallon fuel cans in the bed of the truck and you’ve gained an extra 250 to 300 highway miles. Take them out when you’re not on a trip. That’s a 707 to 820 mile range using varying highway mileage. No way are you going to come close with that in a gasser. In myJT, depending how frisky I was feeling I’d get from 29 to 22 mpg (cruise set to 83mph into the wind) on my 2400 mile trip over Thanksgiving weekend.

Again, I know we all have different experiences and I’m trying my best not to flame here, but the 3.0 is a much more relaxed driving engine. When you want more you get to squeeze the throttle for power and smile. The 3.6…you have to mash it and hear it scream and get less in return.

I’ll stop here…I think I’ve made my point and my fingers are tired.

🍻
Doug,

Just because you didn’t use the specific word doesn’t mean your didn’t convey the meaning - so I will decline to rise to the personal attack and address your points (how many months after I posted the original?). Also, while I don’t have any issues with liberals, I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t insinuate I am one. Nothing I said was politically motivated or charged. I would appreciate the same from you on this forum.

There are folks who want a vehicle with a manual transmission. Yes, even if it’s a diesel. I’m not one of them, and for both you and I it seem doesn’t like we would consider the automatic transmission an additional option as far as money is concerned. And as you so elegantly pointed out, the transmission paired with the ecodiesel is better than the one paired with the gas engine. So, coming from the base, standard equipment, getting a diesel is - for those people who want a manual transmission, a forced, undesirable cost resulting in approximately $6500 (I haven’t checked the current costs for MY22, so yes, I am being deliberately un-specific)

you are right about the #2 vs #1 diesel. My apologies.

That said, you are right again about diesel fuel. In addition to the higher cost of Diesel engines, diesel fuel, and the cost of DEF (not to mention the cost to maintain the complex diesel exhaust system over the life of the vehicle), new owners may also need to consider the additional cost of fuel additives depending on where they live, the quality of their fuel, and how hard they push their engines. Thank you for pointing that out

as far as finding fuel, I stand by my comment. But please allow me to clarify my statement. I still stand by my statement that not every fuel station carries diesel. The mainstream stations that do provide diesel, usually provide fewer pumps than unleaded, and the diesel pump is often co-located with the unleaded pump. Thus unleaded vehicle drivers often unthinkingly choose to get their fuel from the few pumps that also happen to be diesel pumps at a station, without regard to the other five empty pumps that only provide unleaded. Therefore, you must wait for them to finish fueling even though there appear to be other pumps available. You can’t use them. Frustration then ensues for both drivers. I have also seen some stations where they have diesel pumps, but they are all off-line for some reason, while the unleaded only pumps still work (probably due to supply).

As far as other diesel owners. I’ve been those other diesel owners. I’ve owned two 6.6L duramax trucks, two super duty powerstrokes, one F-150 power stroke, and one GM 6.5L - all since 2004. Not to mention having operated several more for my job (2.5 ton, 5-ton, and other 6.5L) many years ago.

Further, I think most 3/4 and 1-ton truck owners who actually use their trucks will agree that there is a big difference between having an auxiliary fuel tank that can auto-feed fuel to the main tank while driving, and that auto siphons from the main tank during fueling, and a couple of jerry cans in the bed. In our case, those jerry cans are taking up already limited cargo space. Though I admit I use them during long trips when towing my travel trailer.

I think we agree on the power and fuel economy the ecodiesel delivers.

Have a great day and thanks for the discussion!

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
After just finishing my entries into my Fuel Log, I thought I would share some real world numbers on fuel economy and maintenance costs.
This fuel log includes all the time with the camper on and off. All the weekends wheeling the Gladiator in Moab and elsewhere. Winter and Summer. It has all of the city/freeway driving also.

I change the oil and filter approximately every 3000-4000 miles. I believe in keeping clean oil in the engine due to the emissions placed on it.

With fuel, oil, and filters, I have averaged about $0.20 per mile for the first year of ownership. This is with as to date, 27,296 miles.

I have attached my Fuel Log, Window Sticker, and Build Sheet.

Yes, I am still in love with my JTRD and use it like a JEEP. :)
Jeep Gladiator Is the diesel gladiator worth it? 089.JPG
Sponsored

Attachments