Sponsored

Jack Discussions Here

Which type of Jack best suits a 2" lifted JT on 37s?

• Total voters

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
What's the difference between the "3 ton all in one" and the "6000 pound unijak"? (besides the price) What am I not seeing here? I really like them.
It seems to me the 3 ton is the older model and the 6000 lb is newer. I found fewer details on the 6000lb unit. It is hard tell the exact differences from the pics. I figure the slight price delta is just incentive to clear out the old stock.
Sponsored

o2bnkc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2002 Corvette convertible, 2008 Peterbilt 388, 2008 HD Heritage
Occupation
owner/operator/guitar picker
It seems to me the 3 ton is the older model and the 6000 lb is newer. I found fewer details on the 6000lb unit. It is hard tell the exact differences from the pics. I figure the slight price delta is just incentive to clear out the old stock.
You could be right. I just had to do a double take (several times) looking at the ad.:surprised:

Mastiff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK Rubicon
I've carried a hi-lift on my jeep for years, then one time I blew a tire and coasted into the center median on the interstate. The hi-lift was nearly worthless because you have to jack super high to account for axle droop, and as it goes up the body wants to tip into the jack and tear up your paint. I was jacking on a sturdy rock rail. Thankfully I also packed a bottle jack with extension accessories and a big base plate. The only downside there is if you are sunk in too low to get it under the axle.

Hi lift may be good for other types of off road repair and extraction, but for changing a tire they are not ideal, plus generally terrifying to use. I currently have a JK not JT. For JT I'd probably just go with a harbor freight aluminum floor jack. I'm currently working on beefing up an aftermarket scissor jack with a better base plate and axle cradle. This seems ideal since they are relatively light and have a huge range.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
On the combo jack stand thing that's being discussed, I found this review:

On the youtube page, In a comment below the video, there is a comment by "StilettoSniper" that says, "The 6000 lb. labelled version of this product is actually an improved version of the one reviewed here. Yes, they both are rated to the same weight capacity (3 tons = 6000 lbs.), but the 6000 lb. unit has more adjustment holes and also has a flat, cast iron area above the ram that is obviously more reinforced"

I don't own one of these... was just curious about them, so I started looking.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Ok, I have had Hi-Lift jacks forever. Having said that they are the most dangerous jack to use off road. I've seen many of them shift and bring the Jeep to the ground. If you are there when that happens, you know what I mean that you'll have to change your shorts.

Bottle jacks are cheap and stable and lift from the bottom of the axle so you can raise your tire quick but then again on unstable ground they can be dangerous also.

Factory jacks just plain suck and if you have bigger tires can be useless and also unstable off road.

I'm going to get one of those aluminum floor jacks from Harbor Freight for the JT. Lightweight, stable and quick to lift and set down.

Exhaust jacks are, well not cheap and take forever to lift. A compressed air bag jack of the same type would be better but they can be damaged if care is not taken when used or stored.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I was hoping to narrow my purchase down to a single jack. I'm realizing a lot is based on a mixture of personal preference, individual experiences (positive and negative)...

1. A single Hi-Lift jack since I have lift points on all sides of my JT (tow receiver, frame-mounted rock sliders, steel front bumper with tow hooks)

Suggestions, thoughts, and comments have helped me explore options so far. Keep them coming. I have yet to decide.
I once saw a hi-lift jack turn loose. This was many years ago, when I worked for my father. We used 4 of them simultaneously to lift floating docks during loading and unloading. I will skip the details. Hi-lift jack are supposed to be designed so that one pin is in the bar at all times, but in this instance both came out. Fortunately no one was hurt. I have often wondered if this was a freak, or have others experienced such a failure?

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I haven't heard of such a failure before, but I always check the springs, smooth action, lubrication of the pins.

pdumbleton

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I thought this was an interesting idea for a modified floor jack setup for off road use.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harbor freight racing jack with a few pieces of 4x4 and 6x6??

***Edit - ha. the guy in the video above has just that. One thing. I've owned the 1.5 ton HF jack and the 2.5 ton HF Jack. The 2.5 ton is REALLY worth the extra money. It has much more lift.

The 1.5 can't even go high enough to get my wife's XC70 off the ground with a set of 70 series 18 inch snow tires that I use in the winter.

Sponsored

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Men use a HiLift.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score