First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I’m the Electrical Manger for a very large construction company with many quarries, asphalt plants, concrete plants and the list goes on up to about 98 companies. I have embraced solar power to power quarries have one very large one done and doing an asphalt plant first quarter of 22, amazing to see a large quarry running on the sun, but I have not embraced battery storage to allow morning and end of day power stored in batteries to complete the production loop. Battery technology has to get past where we are now, that is happening as of summer 2021 , solid state lithium battery technology is going to make EV cars practical sooner then I thought, fast charge to almost 100% in ten minutes, battery life of about 20 years or more, which is more then a chassis will last. Company owners want me to come up with a plan to get into EV charging, at our facilties, and also starting up a company setting up EV charger stations on interstates.
Electric will happen, but most people have no idea of electrical infrastructure required to charge millions of cars. Legislating change works but at a cost, California with their small engine ban coming up sounds great until you really look into practice usage and costs.
I love the sound of a gas engine even the 3.6 in my Mojave, but being an electrician by trade , I know electric will be able to deliver everything we need someday…..Jack
The infrastructure thing is the biggest hurdle. The second, almost tied, hurdle is charging times.

My town of 20,000+ has, at a rough count, 10 gas stations. Most are double islands, so that's at least 80 pumps; likely around 100 with the few 4 island stations.

About 21 charging stations that are located at shopping locations. With the time it takes to charge EVs, I'm guessing we'll need at least double the number of pumps available. 200 charging stations.

That's 200 parking stalls taken from the businesses, since many places have shared parking. Big box places like Lowes and Walmart have their own parking.

And in my area, there are times where power to homes is interrupted. Luckily the longest we've been without power our 5 years here has been a day. My in-laws have lost power for a week. Can't charge an EV if there's no home power.

The most conservative view on switching would be this: "I'll move to EVs when Police/Fire/Aid fleets are fully EVs."
Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I am talking all electric. I thought the article said Jeep was going total electric in a few years. I am not talking hybrid.
But the article does….4xe. It’s part of the transition to full electric.
Naysayers will one day see and understand this is not a fad but a reality.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Anyone else see this as a downfall, cuz I do.

I may have purchase my last Jeep

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/cool-green-jeep-ceo-transforming-80-year-brand/story?id=81960686
Hah.

I am by no means an EV lover at all, I will buy gas cars as long as possible, but if you're ready to throw the whole brand out over a press release, maybe you didn't really like the brand so much from the start. Wait and see what happens before throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Excellent posts from @stil2low and @Jaxmax. It seems to be the old slight of hand trick. What I mean by this is the current movement to clean the air at the expense of creating hazardous waste. Can anyone with knowledge comment on this?

lithium is some pretty nasty stuff. Once the battery’s reach there operating life span, what happens? My understanding is the hazardous waste is of no use and can’t be recycled. Is this true?

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Excellent posts from @stil2low and @Jaxmax. It seems to be the old slight of hand trick. What I mean by this is the current movement to clean the air at the expense of creating hazardous waste. Can anyone with knowledge comment on this?

lithium is some pretty nasty stuff. Once the battery’s reach there operating life span, what happens? My understanding is the hazardous waste is of no use and can’t be recycled. Is this true?
I think most of these people have zero curiosity about these real concerns unless it's fed to them from commercials during their favorite sitcoms or sports games. Just like they have no curiosity about the origins of covid 19. They just want to fulfill the goals of what they are programmed to think by networks working in tandem with large corporations and government. You don't have to use critical thinking skills if you just go along with what your television tells you.

Sponsored

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
I didn't buy a Jeep for the toxic greenhouse gas emissions. I can do without them. I live on a barrier island with an elevation of 3' so I take climate change very seriously.

Electrics are strictly better (not just in terms of emissions, but performance potential) and in due time there will be no more ICE vehicles. Once some people get over their political stance on them, they won't miss them a bit. My Gladiator is likely the last ICE vehicle I will ever own. I look forward to my future Gladiator with a 0-60 of under 4 seconds.

Jakeyou

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator

Google ev white oil dirty secret

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I’m the Electrical Manger for a very large construction company with many quarries, asphalt plants, concrete plants and the list goes on up to about 98 companies. I have embraced solar power to power quarries have one very large one done and doing an asphalt plant first quarter of 22, amazing to see a large quarry running on the sun, but I have not embraced battery storage to allow morning and end of day power stored in batteries to complete the production loop. Battery technology has to get past where we are now, that is happening as of summer 2021 , solid state lithium battery technology is going to make EV cars practical sooner then I thought, fast charge to almost 100% in ten minutes, battery life of about 20 years or more, which is more then a chassis will last. Company owners want me to come up with a plan to get into EV charging, at our facilties, and also starting up a company setting up EV charger stations on interstates.
Electric will happen, but most people have no idea of electrical infrastructure required to charge millions of cars. Legislating change works but at a cost, California with their small engine ban coming up sounds great until you really look into practice usage and costs.
I love the sound of a gas engine even the 3.6 in my Mojave, but being an electrician by trade , I know electric will be able to deliver everything we need someday…..Jack
I can be a good resource

Shawnu22

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Project Manager
I think the fact the 4xe outsold Prius says Jeep people like the idea. I ordered a diesel but know my future Jeep may very well be electric. I like the idea of off-roading in silence, it is why I own a Jeep, to escape the noise of urban life.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Anyone else see this as a downfall, cuz I do.

I may have purchase my last Jeep

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/cool-green-jeep-ceo-transforming-80-year-brand/story?id=81960686
Keep this in mind. They just developed and are ready to enter production with a new inline 6. So near term plans are far from this. They may squirt out the best Jeep yet, once again, when that six gets under the hood. So this won't be anytime soon. Also, the country's power grid is lagging waaaay behind. Elon Musk said we'd need to produce 2.5 times the electricity we do now to handle all cars being replaced with electrics. Have you seen our friend Joe come up with a plan for that yet? I sure haven't.

One small encouraging thing to me is that they did a concept at Moab last year of an electric Wrangler with an honest to goodness manual transmission in it. So when the internal combustion engine is no-more, there still could be some soul left in a Jeep. I talked to a couple folks who drove it and said it was really fun and felt great. It just had crap for range, but it was a only concept designed mainly to show that this could happen.

But this is also why I bought a liftetime warranty while they still offered them. I'm keeping my JLUR as long as possible. So it may have been my last Jeep, anyway.

I remember people saying Fiat was going to ruin the new Wrangler and Jeep as a whole. They then came out with the best Jeep we'd ever seen. If charging and range issues are resolved, I think electrics will do fine. They'll also have to get battery costs under control. But the sound of a gas engine will be missed.

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
…..They'll also have to get battery costs under control.
This.

At my vacation property in Maine, I have an 8kw off-grid Sol-Ark system with a bank of 8 Crown Power 390 batteries. Batteries are not cheap and will not be for the next few decades. In the winter, days are real short and the sun number isn’t great (72). My place catches the sun as it rises and has it almost all day on that side of the house, so I recharge fast. My system keeps up with a Fujitsu mini-split heat pump/AC unit, fridge, well pump, power tools, lights, etc., but I don’t run much other than lights when I am not there. My neighbor there is a solar engineer and has worked at some of the well-known installers in the state, but started his own business a few years ago. I only went solar after seeing his setup and comparing the install and parts costs to what it would have cost to run power from the street and install poles to get to my place.

Maybe @TheSolarWizard can inform the group on a few things about batteries since the batteries in an EV are the same, if not then similar to what we use in a non grid-tied solar home? Realizing we could all go Google this, I think it’s useful to hear it from a guy in the industry. Thanks in advance.

Ballpark costs to replace if one fails?
Percentage of new car cost is the battery bank?
Availability (supply chain) for new batteries?
Where are most batteries made and what country(ies) do the materials come from?
Thoughts on safety of batteries in an accident?
Recycling and how toxic is that?
Weight/size?
Thoughts on the ability to replace them yourself or requirements/regulations that certified techs would have to do it?
Battery lifespan/resiliency for a driver who drives 500-700miles/week?
Time to recharge from near depletion (e.g. roadtrip)?
Likelihood of battery compatibility (brands) with different systems?
Anything else interesting?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
They do. I would want one that charges my EV. Biggest concern with EV is being in the back country or mountains with no charging station.

I think a huge issue here is many of us also like to work on our vehicles. So part of this is cultural. We know ICE.
I know we have attempted to get dealerships to play nice with our school and donate EV tech to us.
Tesla is also the black sheep. My letter to their board requesting equipment to train kids was met with crickets. Right now our shop teacher brings in is own Toyota hybrid SUV so kids can be a bit familiar. We have Ford and Subaru. They have been great. Our kids can leave HS Ford certified and Subaru certified. Go to work in a shop.
The tech seems guarded. My understanding is that there are some different safety precautions we need to take with working on an EV.

Cascadia makes one

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I am more interested if they can figure out syntehic fuels for ICEs. Hey we can make impossible burgers which are not terrible so why not make impossible fuel? BTW getting rid of the cow as a food source would do more for the planet than banning ICEs.

Also, the toxic waste generated by all these giant ass batteries and the process of actually mining the minerals required does not gel well with the image of clean technology. Even financially when thinking about solar systems no matter how you finance them you are still paying a shit ton of money to subside the horrendous electrical grid in this country even you bill comes out a few bucks lower a month.
Sponsored