Jeep Gladiator Locking Fuel Door

RickF

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT Rubicon
I bought the Mopar locking gas cap and, while keying it to match the factory key is a trial-and-error process that can take 30 minutes or so, I found it interesting and easy. There was a video online about how to do it. I think it might have been a Quadratec video.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ToJTornottoJT

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
I'd like to see a nice cast aluminum locking version of this, but for the JT:
1654795035727.png
I was hoping someone made a snazzy door like this that either took a key or piggy-backed on the tailgate lock circuit.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Today I came out of the Home Depot and found my gas door open. I think once they saw it was diesel they moved on, but I would still like a locking fuel door. Does anyone make one? Can't seem to find one, just bad locking caps.
1654792281962.png
I think i'll make a label that says "JEEP Electric Test Vehicle" and put it on my fuel door...😁
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator Locking Fuel Door 1654812955842

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but 20 gallons of gas at 4.54 (2 days go, don't know what it is today), if they take even just 18 gallons (say you drove 10 miles after filling) you've paid for the cap - check with Benny for his price and shipping. I'd love the key'd to fob thing. I hate having to use a special key to take the cap off my SX4 when I fill. At least it goes back on just by pushing it into place, key to remove.
When I have my JT, the fob is always in a holster on my belt loop, very simple to use to unlock a cap like this. Don't even have to reach into a pocket!
Last time I filled up [in California] I paid $6:96 per gallon, and it was way over $100.00. I'm buying the cap.

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
I told him what I had done, and he said it's not necessary because the way the tank is designed, it won't allow a tube down to the tank to siphon.
Don't ask me how I know this (it's for legit reasons, I swear!) But I have been able to get a hose siphoning fuel on all the big 3 HD diesels (F250, RAM and Chevy/GM 2500s) at least as new as 2020 (21 on the F250). I would assume the gladiator isn't any different.

Sponsored

NY_Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi Red
I understand high gas prices get folks worked up, but this seems to be a solution in search of a problem. Criminals are dumb, but stealing gas is a pretty intrusive and time-consuming crime for $100, and they wouldn't know whether you have $10 or $100 worth of gas until embarking upon that theft unless they followed you from the gas station.

Gas has been north of $8 a gallon in Europe for decades. It is about $10 a gallon now, which understates the cost because the European currencies are so weak. I just do not see the extra $20 or so per tankful in the past meaningfully moving the incentive for someone here to steal gas.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
I picked up the Mopar locking gas cap as mod #1. Sure people can steal gas, I’m just going to make it as hard as possible to steal it from me.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I understand high gas prices get folks worked up, but this seems to be a solution in search of a problem. Criminals are dumb, but stealing gas is a pretty intrusive and time-consuming crime for $100, and they wouldn't know whether you have $10 or $100 worth of gas until embarking upon that theft unless they followed you from the gas station.

Gas has been north of $8 a gallon in Europe for decades. It is about $10 a gallon now, which understates the cost because the European currencies are so weak. I just do not see the extra $20 or so per tankful in the past meaningfully moving the incentive for someone here to steal gas.
You are applying logic in the scope of a person who can absorb the recent gas costs increase.

Those on the lower economic margins have no problem incurring to others damage costs in the hundreds if not thousands of dollars if it gains them pennies on the dollar in gain.

These are the people that will break your $200 side window to get the loose change in your cup holder. The same people that will pry open a fuel door or drill a hole in your gas tank to get the few gallons in the small container they bring and let the lions share of the gas drain out onto the ground and leaving you with a $1K repair bill.

Criminals do not weigh the pro/con of what they do or their impact to others and should not be overestimated that they will apply the same logic skills as most normal people.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've lived through gas price spikes before and yes, they will indeed siphon the gas out, but today with the tanks being less strong, and easier to get to in some cases, they've resorted to holes in the tanks in some cases.
I recall when stations had no gas and the price was skyrocketing decades ago - even if you had money, it was hard to get and there were long lines - and gas thefts were very common.

And yes, several people in the area where my wife went to visit with friends and her sister reported a rash of gas thefts in their town. One neighborhood had several cars hit for gas.
It's not time consuming, and not all that intrusive. Remove cap, insert siphon, turn it on.
Or, crawl under with one of those cheap walmart oil drain containers and punch a hole in the tank. Fast and easy. In short order they know what vehicles are the fastest and easiest to get gas from.

I have a power siphon device that I can use to pump several gallons of chemical out of my plating tanks for cleaning - and do it in minutes. In fact, I can't walk away while it's running because it will fill a 5 gallon bucket in no time. It's battery operated to start, then you can shut it off and let it siphon, or let it run and it moves the fluid even faster. It really doesn't take that much time. I've siphoned gas out of my own truck years ago so I could get a car I was working on started and I didn't have time or desire to make the drive into town with a can for gas.

Yes, they will go after 100 bucks or even much less. They'll break into cars, smashing glass and making noise for totally unknown rewards. Ya need to understand the criminal mind and a bit of psychology. They don't need to know if there's a huge reward - anything they get is free, and is a reward. Do enough of them and you have hundreds of dollars.

It is happening, first-hand information that it's happening - sometimes right outside of a house while the people inside sleep, sometimes they break into garages.
It's absolutely happening.

Actually, your thinking that criminals are dumb (they aren't necessarily) supports the idea that they would indeed go after gas not knowing if there's anything in the tank or not.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You are applying logic in the scope of a person who can absorb the recent gas costs increase.

Those on the lower economic margins have no problem incurring to others damage costs in the hundreds if not thousands of dollars if it gains them pennies on the dollar in gain.

These are the people that will break your $200 side window to get the loose change in your cup holder. The same people that will pry open a fuel door or drill a hole in your gas tank to get the few gallons in the small container they bring and let the lions share of the gas drain out onto the ground and leaving you with a $1K repair bill.

Criminals do not weigh the pro/con of what they do or their impact to others and should not be overestimated that they will apply the same logic skills as most normal people.
Well said. And anyone who lived through the price hikes and actual shortages of the 70s knows how common gas thefts were.
Yeah, they'll break windows and make noise to get - they have no idea what is in that vehicle - so it's to get whatever is there. It's like let's make a deal - it could be nothing behind door #3. But they'll do it anyway.
It's not that they are dumb, it's a different way of thinking, a different mindset, they just have different lives.

This would slide right under a lot of SUVs, small trucks and so on and holds 15 quarts - almost 4 gallons. Seems like it would work quite well - slide under tank, punch hole in tank, when you have the 15 quarts, put in the plug and carry it away. Handy as heck.
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator Locking Fuel Door 1654831509169

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It's not that they are dumb, it's a different way of thinking, a different mindset, they just have different lives.
Fuel is one of the levelized costs out of pocket that everybody for now has to pay whether they are a millionaire or minimum wage burger flipper.

I can remember living in Amarillo, TX in 2008 when fuel costs first time spiked and tickled the $4 per gallon barrier. With Amarillo centrally located and a major travel stop with I-40 cutting through it, they plotted fuel and vehicle brake in thefts over the course of the summer and it was pretty apparent that the closer you live to I-40, the chances of your vehicle having a fuel theft or vehicle break in went up exponentially.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel is one of the levelized costs out of pocket that everybody for now has to pay whether they are a millionaire or minimum wage burger flipper.
Yes, but as a minimum wage anything, it's more of a necessity than for some, and it's less likely they'd be getting 25-30 mpg with a newer car. They would be driving an older beater, maybe getting 15-20 mpg, and the gas would be a much higher percentage of their income, such as it is, than for the person making 80K plus.
The millionaire won't notice it, no skin off his nose. Some will steal gas to keep the car going.

Those with the money have newer vehicles getting better mpg, or have electric or hybrids.
So when the cost of fuel skyrockets, everyone pays, but it's a greater burden on low income people, or no income people who still must get from A to B.
So it's not quite level.
If the cost of anything luxury goes up, it impacts one group, if the cost of fuel, eggs, milk or necessities goes up, it does hit everyone, but not equally. Fuel may be a much bigger piece of the lower income person's pie than those making more. It's most likely a much smaller piece of their pie.
Been there - in the 70s, my parents were just squeaking by, and when the cost of fuel jumped, it hit our family hard. We had to stop all unnecessary driving and Dad was trying to find other guys to add to the car pool to work. But for some, their vacations and other trips were still on. I had to cut driving myself, did a lot more walking and bike riding to and from school and my part time jobs while some of the others were still scooping the loop in their Road Runners and Camaros.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Modern tank check valves prevent you from really having any chance of siphoning gas

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Modern tank check valves prevent you from really having any chance of siphoning gas
So the gas, going at a high rate into the tank, can pass, but you can't get a 1/2" hose past it?
The safety things I've seen talk of the valve closing as the tank reaches full to prevent kick-back of the gas in the filler due to the increase of air pressure in the tank as it fills. They imply the valve is open otherwise while filling, etc. (Looks like Chrysler has a bad history of fuel fill problems)
Sponsored