First Name
Jw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
when I go through the car wash the drying fan at the end (not the brushes) pops mine open about 80% of the time.

I kind of want one of those fans.
Mines does it to. I just go down the road and it semi-closes back up but doesn’t latch

Pakdoc

First Name
Emery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Dentist
Sounds like you need to install the JEEP keyed locking gas cap so you will have to use 2 hands to open the gas cap. That will make the non keyed cap easier if you master the keyed one!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Are people trying to stand directly out from the filler, or to the left of it?
Again, I'm quite left-handed and when standing behind or to the right of the fuel fill - my hand never makes contact with the door at all, not even a little, unless I have a glove on.

T Ray

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
retired mechanic
My one complaint with my gladiator is the fuel door. I am not sure why they couldn't find a way to make the door open at least 90 degrees or even better at 110-120. With the door opening towards the driver's door and opening about 80 degrees, the latch scrapes my hand every time.

I have tried to find an aftermarket solution to replace the fuel door with one that opens wider or with a latching system that does not have a giant hook to positioned in the worst spot, however, I can not seem to find anything on these forums or google. The only solutions I have found are for locking caps.

Am I the only one that hates this fuel door? Does anyone have a solution other than just being annoyed by it all the time?

2022-02-12 13.38.02.jpg

2022-02-12 13.38.09.jpg
I'm left handed and that wedge on the door has torn my old skin several times before I finally took a raspy file and rounded the sharp corners of it. It IS a problem, especially when the gas burps out onto a fresh cut. I believe the wedge is there to align the door when closing it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm left handed and that wedge on the door has torn my old skin several times before I finally took a raspy file and rounded the sharp corners of it. It IS a problem, especially when the gas burps out onto a fresh cut. I believe the wedge is there to align the door when closing it.
I'm left-handed too. I've never noticed anything at all odd about the placement or opening of the fuel door.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at it when I put gas in a few days ago. When they remodeled the Sam's Club here, the pumps all got the environmentally friendly handles. They stick out beyond the door, so your hand doesn't ever contact it.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in a while. WTF???
He was complaining about the sharp edges on the plastic tab poking out of the fuel door. Someone else posted that they filed down the edges on their door tab. Did you not read all the posts?

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I've never put the lanyard on that hook. I just rest the edge of the cap on it.

I've knocked it off before, but never had it pop off by itself.

I'm right handed.
20220215_080359.jpg
I gave this a try again today. The nozzle knocked it clean off again. It was a good idea but I'm back to hanging the wire and hoping for the best.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
These comments are cracking me up! Especially the Prius website one and the ones with step by step instructions. To be serious though, I've noticed this as well. Not on a regular basis because I use my right hand to pump gas, too. The door opens the direction it does so if you forget to close it and get too close to an obstacle, said obstacle will just close the door instead of ripping it off. That thing that sticks out is just a locator tab. It goes into the slot just above and to the right of the filler neck (circled in blue). I filed mine down a few months after I took delivery. It's been about two years with no issues so far. My apologies if any of this has already been mentioned.

20220224_201229.jpg

20220224_201147.jpg

20220224_201323.jpg

Last edited:

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
But why are you supposed to wait 10 seconds before you pull out the nozzle after filling up???
Sponsored