Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator Mojave Edition! [Updated With Live Pics and Chassis/Suspension Breakdown]

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Love the entire look of the Mojave, especially the interior with silver leather seats and orange stitching. Reinforced frame sounds interesting. Don't think the changes are enough for me to trade in my Rubicon though (even with my steering issue). I'm more disappointed it didn't come with a more powerful engine like the rumored Hercules. Hopefully that is still in the works.
Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
No problem. It would, indeed, have been funny if FCA actually wrote that, in the Mojave, "you can feel loose and relaxed with all of the expertly-engineered additional steering play as you play in the sand and wobble over even the most-extreme dunes."
:CWL:

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the loose steering. But, if I did, and if Jeep wouldn't fix it ASAP, I would pay someone extremely qualified to fix the steering box screw thingy. One shouldn't have to be in the situation to have to do that, but I think it would be important enough to fix on my own. Once Jeep eventually owns up to the issue, I would press hard for reimbursement.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I mean, it's not really a matter of better or worse - they can both handle the same weight, 6250lbs. There's nothing magical about the max tow, it just has less off-road equipment built in so has ~400lbs more of that 6250lbs available for payload. If you don't need the off-road equipment on the Rubicon, it makes no sense to get it, but you gain nothing in overall weight carrying ability by getting a max tow. You just get less standard equipment.
I would hardly call the Rubicon’s features/options as “standard equipment” when it is their pinnacle trim. Standard equipment is that column on the window sticker before you get to packages and add-ons.

I find it hard to believe that the “performance suspension” parts of the Rubicon are designed for the same weight/payload/towing handling as the ones on the Max Tow package. The systems between the Sport, Max Tow, Overland, and Rubicon are very different and Jeep chose those to perform differently. Without the Max Tow package alot more people would buy the Rubicon, increasing sales profits. But Jeep said explicitly: one is better for truck stuff, the other is better for off-roading, when they made the 2 trims. That’s the way I see it. And as you wont change my mind, there’s no need to have this thread turn into yet another debate on what makes each trim special. The Gladiator is special, so all trims are special in their own way

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would hardly call the Rubicon’s features/options as “standard equipment” when it is their pinnacle trim. Standard equipment is that column on the window sticker before you get to packages and add-ons.

I find it hard to believe that the “performance suspension” parts of the Rubicon are designed for the same weight/payload/towing handling as the ones on the Max Tow package. The systems between the Sport, Max Tow, Overland, and Rubicon are very different and Jeep chose those to perform differently. Without the Max Tow package alot more people would buy the Rubicon, increasing sales profits. But Jeep said explicitly: one is better for truck stuff, the other is better for off-roading, when they made the 2 trims. That’s the way I see it. And as you wont change my mind, there’s no need to have this thread turn into yet another debate on what makes each trim special. The Gladiator is special, so all trims are special in their own way
Bobzdar is just saying (accurately) that the Max Tow has certain "standard equipment," and the Rubicon has certain "standard equipment." The window sticker for example uses that precise phrase. The "standard equipment" on the Max Tow weighs less than the "standard equipment" on the Rubi, which results in a lower cargo capacity for the Rubi. That's all he's saying, and I believe it's objectively correct.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bobzdar is just saying (accurately) that the Max Tow has certain "standard equipment," and the Rubicon has certain "standard equipment." The window sticker for example uses that precise phrase. The "standard equipment" on the Max Tow weighs less than the "standard equipment" on the Rubi, which results in a lower cargo capacity for the Rubi. That's all he's saying, and I believe it's objectively correct.
Ah, my misinterpretation then

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
No problem. It would, indeed, have been funny if FCA actually wrote that, in the Mojave, "you can feel loose and relaxed with all of the expertly-engineered additional steering play as you play in the sand and wobble over even the most-extreme dunes."
That absolutely slayed me...."...wobble over even the most extreme dunes."

I'm still lmao.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
So Rubicon can thank Mojave for its 10mm axletube wall thickness.
That's what I was referencing. I can understand that the rubicon likely will not be subject to the same impacts that a Mojave could encounter, but if they had these forethoughts back then to beef the axles and apply it across all trims, why wouldn't they also include the frame gussets and knuckles?
If the Rubicon does not need it, why would they spend the extra money to beef up its frame? They would have to either A) pass that cost on to you, or B) take the extra cost out of their profit margin? Neither one of those makes any sense for the company or the customer.

They beefed up the axles across only the S Max and the Rubicons, not all trim levels (from what I've read). They did this because the axles that were on the Sports and Overland trims were not strong enough for the S Max and Rubicon.

At least that is my thoughts on the question.

DesertShot

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon JT (White)
If the Rubicon does not need it, why would they spend the extra money to beef up its frame? They would have to either A) pass that cost on to you, or B) take the extra cost out of their profit margin? Neither one of those makes any sense for the company or the customer.

They beefed up the axles across only the S Max and the Rubicons, not all trim levels (from what I've read). They did this because the axles that were on the Sports and Overland trims were not strong enough for the S Max and Rubicon.

At least that is my thoughts on the question.
Axle housings are the same across all trims other than some being 1.5" wider. Same wall thickness.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it looks like the frame reinforcements was metal wrapped around the frame at the bed portion. You can clearly see it is a wrap and weld

2AE4CA26-A8FF-4024-9083-927E0BE4D1C7.png

EE6AE754-0086-46DA-876E-F2E726A195CE.png

0923FE04-195B-4AC7-9F54-2A60C3B50353.png
Sponsored