Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator Mojave Edition! [Updated With Live Pics and Chassis/Suspension Breakdown]

Akwestender

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how this package will be handled. The North addition is a sub package of the Overland. Perhaps the Mojave will be an add on to the Rubicon and the High Altitude another package on the Overland.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Rubicon vs. Mohave: East vs. West ?? ;)
Pretty much... On the southern west coast here, we do not have many trees here to winch and most of the OHV are part desert... ie. I carry maxtrax instead of a winch and anchor... My Rubicon Gladiator was my first 4:1 transfer case, and with my manual tranny, it is really low. I was shocked how low compared to my FJ62. In 4WL, with my manual, I am mostly in 3rd and 4th gear here in Southern California. The only caveat is that we do have lots of mountains and some nice climbs at all the OHVs, so, even though they are mostly desert, there are some tough climbs where I have used 4WL, 2nd gear.... If I had to do it over again, it would be a tough choice for me -- Rubicon or Mojave.... In the end, the sway bar disconnect & front lockers would have probably kept me in the Rubicon, but, the Mojave fills a nice niche.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Full list of Rubi/Mojave differences here. Many other minor structural enhancements and steering wheel grips!
https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/jeep-jt-gladiator-mojave-vs-gladiator-rubicon-whats-difference/
Interested to see the exact changes made for increased structural strength in the areas that matter. I bet we’ll start seeing the aftermarket coming up with a few odds and ends to mimic that for the Max Tow or Rubicon trims. Also curious if the iron knuckles are a big need over the existing ones we have? Haven’t heard of that really being an issue...?

And what about those hydraulic bumpstops! I like those a lot. I’ve seen plenty of aftermarket guys making them, but would be fun to make a bit of a hybrid as an OEM+ approach. I wonder if they’re adjustable...

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I like it a lot. I just wish they would have went with Selectrac like in the Sahara. Also, I hope it comes with the steel bumper group option, and max tow. Gladiator needs another package that has max tow, and from what I've read so far on the Mojave all Jeep would have to do is throw on stiffer springs.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Full list of Rubi/Mojave differences here. Many other minor structural enhancements and steering wheel grips!
https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/jeep-jt-gladiator-mojave-vs-gladiator-rubicon-whats-difference/
So, the wider stance is done with wheel backspacing, not different axles.

It seems that this would be a capable model. The main scenarios I can think of where it theoretically would have an advantage over a JTR like mine with similar after-market shocks, a robust lift, and greater wheel backspacing would be:

1. Wheeling in 4H with rear lockers on above 30 mph.

2. Handling jumping and landing better.

I’m not sure #1 matters, and am curious as to others’ thoughts on that.

My JTR can go up to 30 mph in 4L (with the 4:1 T-case at about 3,400 rpm) with the lockers engaged.

Even in the sand, I doubt I would want to go above 30 mph with a rear locker on.

The Mojave has an overall gearing of 7.50:1 in 4L in 8th gear.

The JTR has an overall gearing of 11.00:1 in 4L in 8th gear.

So, the Mojave can go 47% faster in 4L at the same rpms.

The JTR has an overall gearing of 6.85:1 in 4H in 3rd gear; and 8.61:1 in 4H in 4th gear.

A JTR can duplicate that in 3rd/4th gear in 4H, but can’t engage the lockers.

My main genuine questions are:

1. Who does that?
2. And would that seriously reduce steering maneuverability at a speed (30 mph+) where you need it?

I do get that some of the frame-reinforcement and mount-reinforcement items on the Mojave could be an upgrade if they are significant.

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
So, the wider stance is done with wheel backspacing, not different axles.

It seems that this would be a capable model. The main scenarios I can think of where it theoretically would have an advantage over a JTR like mine with similar after-market shocks, a robust lift, and greater wheel backspacing would be:

1. Wheeling in 4H with rear lockers on above 30 mph.
2. handling jumping and landing better.

I’m not sure #1 matter, and am curious as to others’ thoughts on that.

My JTR can go up to 30 mph in 4L (with the 4:1 T-case at about 3,400 rpm) with the lockers engaged.

Even in the sand, I doubt I would want to go above 30 mph with a rear locker on.

The Mojave has an overall gearing of 7.50:1 in 4L in 8th gear.

The JTR has an overall gearing of 11.00:1 in 4L in 8th gear.

So, the Mojave can go 47% faster in 4L at the same rpms.

The JTR has an overall gearing of 6.85:1 in 4H in 3rd gear; and 8.61:1 in 4H in 4th gear.

A JTR can duplicate that in 3rd/4th gear in 4H, but can’t engage the lockers.

My main genuine questions are:

1. Who does that?
2. And would that seriously reduce steering maneuverability at a speed (30 mph+) where you need it?

I do get that some of the frame-reinforcement and mount-reinforcement items on the Mojave could be an upgrade if they are significant.
Bah, the way I look at it I can get the best of both worlds and get a Tazer for a few hundred bucks to allow me to engage the lockers at speed.

What I’m most interested in as a Rubicon owner are the shocks / bumpstops (are they that much better of an upgrade or is it better to look into the aftermarket) and the frame reinforcements (where and why).

Captn_Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon (Sting Grey)
I wanna see it do some high speed hops/jumps.. Raptor style, and would also like to know more about exactly what-where the frame was reinforced.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I like it a lot. I just wish they would have went with Selectrac like in the Sahara. Also, I hope it comes with the steel bumper group option, and max tow. Gladiator needs another package that has max tow, and from what I've read so far on the Mojave all Jeep would have to do is throw on stiffer springs.
I agree 100%. Seems like they missed a chance to get even more of my money. Only things I would change are the selectrac and a 3.0 and it is the ultimate daily driver for me.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Bah, the way I look at it I can get the best of both worlds and get a Tazer for a few hundred bucks to allow me to engage the lockers at speed.

What I’m most interested in as a Rubicon owner are the shocks / bumpstops (are they that much better of an upgrade or is it better to look into the aftermarket) and the frame reinforcements (where and why).
The frame/mount reinforcements, if they are significant, are the only thing I've seen described that I am interested in. I already have a Rock Krawler lift with the super-strong control arms, track bars, etc. … that I imagine are superior even to the Mojave upgrades. Actually, the RK lift deletes the rear track bar and replaces with a 4-link system that allows complete play with the DS with no binding. I realize I'm not comparing stock-to-stock, but I think most JTR owners, who intend to push them to design-limit, put a robust lift on them.

Last edited:

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
wouldn't be able to tow the same as Max Tow though, increased weight on the Mojave will lower the towing numbers.

Sponsored

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
wouldn't be able to tow the same as Max Tow though, increased weight on the Mojave will lower the towing numbers.
I should have probably said higher payload instead of tow. (I'm one of those weirdos that think max tow in mid-size should be around 5k max). They would have to offer a higher GVWR option, but other manufacturers do it, so it shouldn't be that hard.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
The frame/mount reinforcements, if they are significant, are the only thing I've seen described that I am interested in. I already have a Rock Krawler lift with the super-strong control arms, tie rods, etc. … that I imagine are superior even to the Mojave upgrades. Actually, the RK lift deletes the rear tie rod and replaces with a 4-link system that allows complete play with the DS with no binding. I realize I'm not comparing stock-to-stock, but I think most JTR owners, who intend to push them to design-limit, put a robust lift on them.
Ditto. I’m interested in the shocks as a hold over (the factory Rubicon Fox shocks just aren’t good for anything other than slow speed offroad). If these are intended for high speed then I think they can be good for it all including the bridge joist at 70. Once I get the real deal under the truck then I’ll change over beyond. But as an interim direct shock replacement... :like:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Pretty much... On the southern west coast here, we do not have many trees here to winch and most of the OHV are part desert... ie. I carry maxtrax instead of a winch and anchor... My Rubicon Gladiator was my first 4:1 transfer case, and with my manual tranny, it is really low. I was shocked how low compared to my FJ62. In 4WL, with my manual, I am mostly in 3rd and 4th gear here in Southern California. The only caveat is that we do have lots of mountains and some nice climbs at all the OHVs, so, even though they are mostly desert, there are some tough climbs where I have used 4WL, 2nd gear.... If I had to do it over again, it would be a tough choice for me -- Rubicon or Mojave.... In the end, the sway bar disconnect & front lockers would have probably kept me in the Rubicon, but, the Mojave fills a nice niche.
The payload kept me from getting a Rubicon

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Welp, that thing checks every one of my boxes... I can't wait to see more on the specs.
Sponsored