Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Civil Engineer
PC bodge done:

I connected a socket to the front panel on/off/reset switch (yellow boxes.) This will be extended to the monitor location so I don't need to reach under the seat to turn on the computer.

I installed the GPS reciever where the hard drive would normally go. it's mounted on a shelf made with styrene plastic. The reciever is wired to use an external antenna. I also soldered up the USB plug to keep things reasonably tidy.

I've used this reciever in other projects, and it's really nice for the price: 10hz updates with WAAS - it's fast to aquire sattelites and is generally accurate to about 1 meter.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4279

Jeep Gladiator JeePS - Offline Trail Carputer i-dGGkXBH-L
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chad1376

Chad1376

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Civil Engineer
More dodgey bodges - This time on the monitor end. I want to be able to unplug and remove the monitor easily, since I don't want to drive around with it installed all the time. Vesa monitor mount and arm are from Ram Mounts.

On the monitor:

Red is just 5v power. I ran this through the project box and it connects to the large coax plug on the box.

Blue is USB-3 for video and touch. It uses an obscure 10-pin Mini USB, and parts are nearly impossible to find. I cut off the long lead and will need to solder on a regular USB 3.0 Type A male plug. I'm a little nervous about pulling that off. The plug is on order.

Green is HDMI - don't need it.

On the box:

An LED power light and momentary switch that will run back to the pc on/off/reset via the TRRS plug. The toggle switch is also wired to the plug and will run to a relay that turns on the 12v laptop power supply for the whole mess.

Jeep Gladiator JeePS - Offline Trail Carputer i-LfNFcHc-L

Lost_In_The_Woods

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
As a GIS forester, this is interesting. The best phone app I have used is Gaia but I still find it frustrating and limiting. OnX just makes me want to throw the phone out the window.

OP
OP
Chad1376

Chad1376

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Messing around trying to get the UI as usable as possible. Windows has a lot of shortcomings for anything on a small screen. Tablet mode isn't any better than desktop mode. The biggest challenge is making everything as large as possible. As everyone knows, aiming your finger at a touch screen while bouncing in the dirt is nearly impossible. You pretty much need to come to a stop to hit the right spot. The best I could do is set the screen scaling to 200%, and minimize what shows up on the screen. The taskbar is hidden.

Jeep Gladiator JeePS - Offline Trail Carputer i-Q3Bwfzc-M

Qfield, luckily, has a fairly bonehead interface.

Jeep Gladiator JeePS - Offline Trail Carputer i-cTzTnJ5-M

Jeep Gladiator JeePS - Offline Trail Carputer i-SGDPBzk-M

And of course, the screen brighness built into Windows isn't compatible with my touchscreen. I had to dig up a seperate program so I don't blind myself at night.

Jeep Gladiator JeePS - Offline Trail Carputer i-8xfrJ42-M

I really wish Qfield had a Linux version. There's several several GUI's that are highly customizable. But then again, there's the endless Linux rabbitholes of trying to find and configure uncommon drivers (like touchscreen and usb to serial drivers for the GPS.) Windows, at least, just works with the hardware without too much fuss.

Vanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
looks like you guys never heard of Osmand https://osmand.net/ ? Free APP for iPhone and Android.

No subscription bs, you can download the entire country and have it offline. But that's just the beginning. IF you know your way around a GIS software like SASPlanet you can build your own maps and import it in osmand, in sqlitedb format.

So in my case, I have the whole Canada offline on my iPad and also I have my own satellite maps for a 3 provinces that I'm around the most. Everything offline and eternally stored on my iPad.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chad1376

Chad1376

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Civil Engineer
looks like you guys never heard of Osmand https://osmand.net/ ? Free APP for iPhone and Android.

No subscription bs, you can download the entire country and have it offline. But that's just the beginning. IF you know your way around a GIS software like SASPlanet you can build your own maps and import it in osmand, in sqlitedb format.

So in my case, I have the whole Canada offline on my iPad and also I have my own satellite maps for a 3 provinces that I'm around the most. Everything offline and eternally stored on my iPad.
I hadn't seen this. I've only had a few minutes to look at it a little bit. I definitely will spend more time with it. I'm not opposed to doing something different if it works better. I'll finish out this project, since I'm close to being done, but just about everything could be re-purposed if this app or something better comes along.

OP
OP
Chad1376

Chad1376

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I've been busy, so progress has been slow, but I should be ready to install this mess this weekend.

Umbilicals between the monitor and PC are done. PC is mounted on a bracket that fits between the front seat rails. This also includes a 12v => 19.5v power supply and on/off relay.
i-vJ9Kspm-L.jpg

PC is mounted to the bracket using a quick release VESA mount. This should make it easy to bring the PC inside to do software updates, etc.
i-QxhfNB9-L.jpg

Also, more messing around with how info is displayed. I learned how to create nice hill shading from the DEMs.
i-BTG8f9R-L.png

And I converted the topo from meters to feet (because 'merica). Topo doesn't display untill I'm zoomed in. Contours are labled too.
i-BX43pgk-L.png
Sponsored