Sponsored

Joined the Gladiator cracked window club

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
New club member! Was out west, and got a pretty hard strike on the driver's side, about a third of the way across the windshield. Parked the car for a bit and when I got back the crack already started. At this point, it's about 1.5 inches short of 100% top to bottom.

Thanks to this forum - when I added it to the insurance I asked, "Do I have full glass coverage? Can I get anything better?" and so now we see what that buys.
Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also a new member ... except in my case the rock strike was very light. Kicked up by a camp trailer and I barely heard it hit the windshield .... 2" crack ensued.

Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer (ex-Jeep Development)
3 weeks ownership, 1,500 local road miles only, probably 60 freeway miles, one RR puncture after 600 miles on the Odo, and a cracked windshield (I96/Novi, MI). As an ex Jeep development engineer ZJ, WJ, etc, is this what I am to expect on paved roads ? ? Very disappointing experience so far........

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Got NAILED by a loud rock last night on a surface street, just under 3 months and 5400 miles. $595 for a Mopar part from the glass shop I've always used, will find out what the local dealer wants. Dang it, my YJ is still on it's first windshield!!

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I got a window chip from a rock at less than 300 miles. It’s on the very edge of the driver side of the windshield so it’s not visible from the driver seat, and insurance paid for the repair so it’s okay. It was a bummer though when it happened. The exact same thing happened when my wife first got her BMW.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Me too this week. Hopefully the ACC isn't expensive to calibrate.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Well I joined the club after 3 months. I had to go to South Louisiana on emergency and was dreading the trip in my truck cause South Louisiana roads are always just covered in crap and rocks, etc. Whenever the 18 wheelers go to the shoulders which they always do they kick up a shit storm. It never seemed to do much to my ram but seems that the jeeps are more sensitive (LOL). Well coming back this evening I thought I had made it back to Texas safely. Luck would not have it though. We were on 2 lane section with a big rig hauling a tracked dozer on a step trailer. You could see this thing had come from a job in a messy area. Everyone was trying to get around him (I wonder why). Since the road were in bad shape he hit a big bump and a large mud/rock bomb disloged from the track and hit the pavement. We were probably doing about 70. That thing was like someone shooting a shotgun at us. It blew up and rocks, mud, etc were flying everywhere. Now where to go and couldn't slam on the brakes. I took one to the upper driver side and sounded like I got hit someplace else on the truck but didn't see any damage on walk around. One of the other cars must be really pissed. He took what looked to be like a big piece or dirt or something to the hood and then that flew off behind us along with the other stuff. As soon as I got the chance go around that truck before it happened again.
Got home and immediately bought a repair kit to try to stop it as it was spreading out. I'll know in the coming days if I managed to stop the spread.

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
it seems we have a bunch of tailgater here....:LOL:. It is a common issue since driving a Jeep is like running on the highway against the wind with a sheet of plywood in your face

Jeep windshield are like kleenex tissue = throw it away after use. And they are dirt cheap. Usually I pay less than 300 CAD$ from my own pocket to get an OEM one. Jobber ones are cheaper, but last much less longer.

Other thing, they do not like extreme temperature change, meaning don't put the Max AC on defrost during the summer, or the max heat on the defrost during winter. You'll see they will last a bit longer.

bug/rock shield won't make any difference. so don't waste your money/time.

I've changed a lot of flat Jeep windshield since '04. My actual one is the one who lasted the longest: 20 months - it's Gorilla Glass. I decided I was giving it a try. I've got a chip/star at the bottom right in the center, a rock deflected on my hood.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
3200 miles. First crack. Facccck!

Sponsored

Jbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator launch edition
My windshield cracked on my way home from the dealership after a tiny rock hit it. The next morning I had a 12 inch crack through my windshield. I just couldn’t believe it! Is there a better glass to put in rather than the OEM?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I just put in a Gorrila Glass windshield from HGP. If you use the LITEBRITE50 discount code you get 50 dollars off. For my rig that has no driving nannies attached to the windshield, it came to 650 dollars and 100 for installation. So far so good and it is super clear!
1020201448_HDR.jpg
1020201451_HDR.jpg

1020201451a.jpg

Last edited:

MemphisMississipp

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport Max Tow Pkg Gobi
Occupation
Retired Fed X truck driver
In Nevada, I had a a film placed on the windshield. It is quite a bit thinker than normal film. I did take a stone to the windshield. You can see where there is what looks like a puncture in the film. Not sure if the damage went all the way to the glass or not. I would have to pull the film off to find out.
Fixing cracked windshield, Hey Bob, do you know how thick the film is? What was costs, or did you install yourself

Rubicon Bob

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Rubi, 17 Grand Cherokee, 2020 GCM LE Gladiator
Fixing cracked windshield, Hey Bob, do you know how thick the film is? What was costs, or did you install yourself
Not sure how thick, but it is thick and stiff. The window tint place I use installed it for about $300. I have taken a couple of good hits, but no damage. The only problem I have had is that it does get scratched. The tiny place replaced it no questions asked for free after having it for 9 months.
Sponsored