Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Says the person who has not done decades of fine manual labor, heavy lifting, with a family history of arthritis and injured fingers messed up by incompetent ER idiots.
I don't get it when people mock or "I don't see why others" - stop trying to make the population as created in your own image. Some people have stiff joints, shorter fingers than you do, have worn fingers out with years of hard work as mechanics, farmers, repair people.
This is exactly why I had an intense legal battle with the government and my employer over ADA stuff even though that employer was created to help people who had disabilities.
If some had their way, there'd be no ramps, no power steering, no walkers for the elderly - hey, stand up grandma, what's wrong with you - I don't get it - I can stand up perfectly.
My father worked his ass off in a factory - so much manual labor over decades of work that he literally wore the tendons out in his hands - a couple of them snapped - and I suppose you'd mock him for not being able to reach those cables as easily as a person as you being perfect can - so no one should own a JT unless they can prove they can disconnect those cables in 3 seconds.

I don't understand why some people have to make fun of or worry about others who can't do the same things as easily. That's what I don't understand.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us have big hands which makes it difficult.
Exactly. Or shorter fingers, or larger fingers or fingers injured from years of work, age, arthritis, etc.

I don't understand people who say "why can't others do what I do, why isn't everyone like me - I can lift 300 pounds dead weight, why can't you".
Apparently not all trucks are identical, either - found that out with the brake controller. Where the strap was shown, where it was for some others, mine wasn't there, it was in a different spot.
Why can't you see that bird 100 yards away - I can see it, you should be able to as well.

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
I really don't understand people having problems with the cables. I just pop them out, never was an issue. Push the clip with my pointer finger and pull down with pressure on the thumb. Maybe some models have something else in the way but my Sport S auto is easy to get to. I needed the app when I changed tire size, and also when I put on my MOPAR steel bumper. The LED fogs on the bumper hyperflashed bad until I enabled the LED fog option.
I just had to unhook mine for the first time this weekend. I had heard it was a nightmare but mine were VERY easy to reach and unplug. Then I did my wife’s JLU. There’s a module in the way and it’s very difficult to reach the plugs and get them released. Even more difficult to get them plugged back in. Not everyone’s experience is the same

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just had to unhook mine for the first time this weekend. I had heard it was a nightmare but mine were VERY easy to reach and unplug. Then I did my wife’s JLU. There’s a module in the way and it’s very difficult to reach the plugs and get them released. Even more difficult to get them plugged back in. Not everyone’s experience is the same
I could touch the cable ends with the tips of my fingers and I could just use one finger to sort of depress the tab but there wasn't room to grab the connector end. I tried to pull on the cable itself but ended up having to make a hook to do that. I was able to use a finger to depress the tab and pull on the cable. There isn't enough room on mine to do more than that. I could hold the connector between two fingers - barely, to guide and aim the connector to plug back in but even that was tight going. Didn't have enough finger length to really apply pressure or reach up high. Once they were aligned I had to use a finger tip to push them up into place. Apparently the Overland has things a bit differently arranged? Dunno.

Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
I was able to get mine out easily. I used the "Depress the tab, let go, then pull the wire" to get them out. Not the best idea to put pressure on the wires, but once the tab was disengaged it didn't take much to slide them out . But I can see dexterity absolutely being an issue, its quite tight in that area, at least my overland was. I had a heck of a time getting them plugged back in. Like Papa, I barely nudged them in there with my fingertips after having one heck of a time getting them lined up properly for the push.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to get mine out easily. I used the "Depress the tab, let go, then pull the wire" to get them out. Not the best idea to put pressure on the wires, but once the tab was disengaged it didn't take much to slide them out . But I can see dexterity absolutely being an issue, its quite tight in that area, at least my overland was. I had a heck of a time getting them plugged back in. Like Papa, I barely nudged them in there with my fingertips after having one heck of a time getting them lined up properly for the push.
I had decent luck with your "depress tab, let go, then pull the wire" method a time or two. The first time - not. I depressed the tab but the connector was still secure when I let go - the tab simply popped back into place. Apparently once out it's better but still......... the extensions were not expensive, they work, they speed things up considerably plus they add length so I can actually not have the BT interface hanging next to the steering column. Can almost have the interface on my lap as I watch the lights on it if I have any BT connection issues (and sometimes I do since my devices want to connect to everything else around)

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I could touch the cable ends with the tips of my fingers and I could just use one finger to sort of depress the tab but there wasn't room to grab the connector end. I tried to pull on the cable itself but ended up having to make a hook to do that. I was able to use a finger to depress the tab and pull on the cable. There isn't enough room on mine to do more than that. I could hold the connector between two fingers - barely, to guide and aim the connector to plug back in but even that was tight going. Didn't have enough finger length to really apply pressure or reach up high. Once they were aligned I had to use a finger tip to push them up into place. Apparently the Overland has things a bit differently arranged? Dunno.
Its defintily different. I snapped this pic by holding my phone under the dash with the front facing camera pointing up. It's as out in the open as can be in my Sport S.

Jeep Gladiator JScan app PLUG

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I can get mine out without too much of a problem, but inserting back them is the difficult part for me. The extension cables are a needed luxury for my old worn out hands.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Its defintily different. I snapped this pic by holding my phone under the dash with the front facing camera pointing up. It's as out in the open as can be in my Sport S.

Jeep Gladiator JScan app PLUG
So now we need to see an Overland (or higher trim) to compare.

Kevin

Sponsored

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
I really don't understand people having problems with the cables. I just pop them out, never was an issue. Push the clip with my pointer finger and pull down with pressure on the thumb. Maybe some models have something else in the way but my Sport S auto is easy to get to. I needed the app when I changed tire size, and also when I put on my MOPAR steel bumper. The LED fogs on the bumper hyperflashed bad until I enabled the LED fog option.
Did you have the 8.4" screen? If not, the smaller screen guys have it easy. I can unhook factory and hook bypass in on those rigs in a matter of 5 seconds. The larger Uconnect screens have a separate module underneath that take about a minute or so to get to, even if you use tools as most peoples hands don't fit in the space.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Did you have the 8.4" screen? If not, the smaller screen guys have it easy. I can unhook factory and hook bypass in on those rigs in a matter of 5 seconds. The larger Uconnect screens have a separate module underneath that take about a minute or so to get to, even if you use tools as most peoples hands don't fit in the space.
That must be it then. I have the 7 inch screen.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
Like Mr._Bill said, not a problem.
All the extension cables do is extend the gateway ports down for easier access. All else remains the same. So instead of unplugging the vehicle cables from the ports up high, you are unplugging them from the extension cables that hang down for access. Think of it in a way like a simple extension cord for an outlet. Instead of having to walk over to the wall, move the couch to get to the outlet to unplug your lamp from the outlet, you can unplug it from the extension cord sticking out from behind the couch.
Thank you, Bill - I appreciate the explanation!

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
Not hard, annoying

Especially when we can just get rid of it permanently
autostop eliminator is $99, and there are usually coupon codes floating around. i think i got mine for $80. if you don't want to press it every time it's the best way to do it without the tazer. i was hoping that jscan would have a working feature by this point so i could sell my eliminator, but it is what it is.

also, it's funny to see people griping about considering others' use cases/limitations on mods, and then turning around saying that pushing the ess button every time is how you should be doing it and that it's such a non-issue for them.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
autostop eliminator is $99, and there are usually coupon codes floating around. i think i got mine for $80. if you don't want to press it every time it's the best way to do it without the tazer. i was hoping that jscan would have a working feature by this point so i could sell my eliminator, but it is what it is.

also, it's funny to see people griping about considering others' use cases/limitations on mods, and then turning around saying that pushing the ess button every time is how you should be doing it and that it's such a non-issue for them.
Jscan can't add that feature because the tazer and autostop eliminator are devices that must be LEFT PLUGGED IN because they are not and can not change the code in the system. What they are doing is telling it that the button has been pushed with every start.
Jscan can only change settings. That is not a setting, it's a non-latching switch that sends a signal saying I've been pushed. Tazer basically sits there and when you start the engine tells it that the button has been pushed. Note that the button is a momentary contact button........
Jscan is temporary software that manipulates settings, changes codes. I can't see it ever being able to do this. The system doesn't have an "enabled" or "not enabled" setting jscan can touch (or any other software)
So if you must have it disabled and don't want to push the button - hardware is your only option.
Sponsored