Sponsored

JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available!

Boogerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Definitely need something stronger. Wish I could still use that launch code for Free shipping. All their Black Friday sales really did was cover shipping

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Looks like they're based on total length, ball to ball. If someone can verify, then it should answer the question on length.

Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on what you have on your UD, those might not be strong enough. The ones that come with the UD are rated at 85lbs, so these only offer about 30lbs over the stockers for the pair. I'm going to look for some 125lbs struts. I don't mind having to sit on the end of the UD to get it to close. lol

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on what you have on your UD, those might not be strong enough. The ones that come with the UD are rated at 85lbs, so these only offer about 30lbs over the stockers for the pair. I'm going to look for some 125lbs struts. I don't mind having to sit on the end of the UD to get it to close. lol
If u find 125+, do let us kno. If I can prop it up with my rtt, that be killer

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
Ace's website says their are rated at 67lbs each (https://aceengineeringandfab.com/products/ace-jt-gladiator-upper-decker)

I found these on Amazon at 125lbs. But they don't have the brackets on them - can you swap those easily enough?

https://www.amazon.com/Suspa-C16-08055-Force-120-Springs/dp/B007MUY656

250lbs would cover the 120 lb upper decker, 93lb Front Runner tent, and my load bars (~40 lbs I think)

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct. I'm not sure where I got that 85lbs number from :(

I was reading on the Suspa (large manufacture of gas springs) site that the compressed force can be 305-80% greater than the extended force. So 125lbs struts might be pretty hard to get closed. I'll try and measure the stock UD struts when I get home this afternoon and see if Suspa has anything that would work as you can find that brand on Amazon (ha, you posted a link to them in your reply) for easy returns if needed.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
So I did some measuring this morning of the stock struts:

Extended length: 15"
Compressed length: 9.5"
Stroke: 5.75"
Shaft diameter: 5/16"

The last thing I need to sort out is the thread size and pitch on the ends of the struts that the silver metal hardware screws on to. I'll stop by the hardware store on the way home from work and figure out what that is. Then it would just be a matter of finding a stronger strut with the matching specs.

I also removed both struts to measure the max safe extension of new struts. If using the same mounting locations you could use a strut that is 20.25" when fully extended and not make contact with the back glass. There is between .25" and .5" between the UD and the back glass when opened this wide. If you are running a RTT, you will have to take that into account since it would make contact with the top of the cab before the UD and glass.

I'm pretty sure these are the stock struts on Amazon.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to use the same mounting holes in the UD, it looks like you will have to stay with a 15" strut. ARANA makes this 15" that should be a direct replacement, but rated for 100lbs per shock. The only thing I'm not sure of on these is if the plastic end caps can be swapped out of the metal ones that came with the UD.

I'm going to order a pair and see test out over the weekend.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
If you want to use the same mounting holes in the UD, it looks like you will have to stay with a 15" strut. ARANA makes this 15" that should be a direct replacement, but rated for 100lbs per shock. The only thing I'm not sure of on these is if the plastic end caps can be swapped out of the metal ones that came with the UD.

I'm going to order a pair and see test out over the weekend.
That loos great. Let us know how it works for you.

As for the plastic end caps - you may be able to leave them (obviously I would prefer metal...) and put the bracket into the end caps on the Arana strut.

An extra 66 lbs would be welcome relief. I'd love a 115 lb...but I can't seem one.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
That loos great. Let us know how it works for you.

As for the plastic end caps - you may be able to leave them (obviously I would prefer metal...) and put the bracket into the end caps on the Arana strut.

An extra 66 lbs would be welcome relief. I'd love a 115 lb...but I can't seem one.
Here is a 120lb option that might work with the stock mounting holes. The extended length should be okay at 15.25", but they don't list the compressed length. At least not out right, you might be able to work it out from their tech drawing on the site.

And here is a 108lb option that looks like it should work with the stock mounting holes. This one has metal ball sockets on the ends... but they are $28 each.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a 120lb option that might work with the stock mounting holes. The extended length should be okay at 15.25", but they don't list the compressed length. At least not out right, you might be able to work it out from their tech drawing on the site.

And here is a 108lb option that looks like it should work with the stock mounting holes. This one has metal ball sockets on the ends... but they are $28 each.
Take the stroke length and subtract from total length = compressed length. So there would be a .75" lengthened difference. May work, but someone will have to try.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my replacement struts showed up and they sent me the wrong ones. I got some rinky-dink 10" struts that I can push in super easy. Another set of replacements should be here on Sunday.
Sponsored