Just turned 2k miles.. 2 questions

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I suggest checking the smaller start/stop battery. Mine has been low ever since new. Auto-stop would not work until after a long drive and charge. Now that I have a solar panel that keeps both batteries charged, auto-stop works all the time.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest checking the smaller start/stop battery. Mine has been low ever since new. Auto-stop would not work until after a long drive and charge. Now that I have a solar panel that keeps both batteries charged, auto-stop works all the time.
All he's got to do is look at the cluster display - it will tell what's going on. Don't even need to open the hood. If the battery is low, it will say so on the cluster display.

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
I'm with the others on the AC, with a slight twist.

When we have the AC running, we generally crank it down to 'LO', which, as far as I can tell, stops the ESS from ever kicking in.

Change that to a temp that is can realistically reach, though, and then it kicks back in.

One thing that DOES make me scratch my head, however, it how often the AC kicks on, when I don't have the AC even set to turn on... no LED indicating it's on, but there's no way, when it's 85F outside, that air is that cold ;)

But yeah.. try adjusting your temp on the HVAC to a few degrees higher.. see if it works, then :)

~ Casp

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Yea no. If that battery was low, it would be shown on his dash. If it was dead the Jeep wouldnt even start.

Its the brake pedal for sure.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
I agree with the brake pedal pressure.....I can drive in town all day in stop and go traffic and never activate it...but then if I depress the pedal too hard after coming to a complete stop it will trigger and I immediately turn the dang thing off and scold myself (*&%^$#) for not doing it when I started it.

My wife's 21 Grand Cherokee is a different story, it seems very easy to activate start/stop...at least compared to my Gladi

If the OP's truly doesn't activate...then a Unicorn you have...enjoy

Sponsored

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
I'm with the others on the AC, with a slight twist.

When we have the AC running, we generally crank it down to 'LO', which, as far as I can tell, stops the ESS from ever kicking in.

Change that to a temp that is can realistically reach, though, and then it kicks back in.

~ Casp
Mine is set to Lo on both sides, so that's another data point.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Must be an AZ thing. I don't think it's physically possible to cool the cabin down to whatever it's set at. It was a cool 110 on the drive home today.

How about "if the a/c is running?"
Proverbs of snowballs in hell come to mind. Might be why I see so many new Chevys here, they already look like home A/C condensers. Would also confirm residency in hell. Chevy: Road tested on the public for over a century!

The owners manual lists why the ESS won't engage under certain conditions, OP can go through and check which may apply. Doubt he owns a unicorn, may just be one of the disengaging conditions being met. As mentioned, braking is likely, may also be turning degree (put down the beer! :LOL: ) I've seen the list in other posts, might be good to throw it here if someone has it.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have found most times when the ESS will not work, either the ESS battery is in a low state of charge or the HVAC is set to MAX A/C (LO).

HVAC.jpg

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
If Max AC is running, it won't engage ESS
(You can enable Max AC or use Auto Climate and it will use Max AC if needed)

Light brake pressure, it won't engage ESS

Depressing the Auto Start/Stop button

A fault with the system (should throw an error message in the center cluster)

Engine temps do not warm up at an unusual pace in my experience. I would also encourage less focus on the engine temp and instead look at oil temps. Getting the oil to operating temps takes twice as long as the water temp.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Should be page 6 on the dash, if it constantly says "stop/start not ready battery charging" your ESS battery is dead. Mine worked right after I bought it, then got spotty, then stopped working entirely. Dealership replaced both batteries and it works again.

I may be the only one here who likes ESS in general. I drive a manual and can completely control when it activates via the clutch pedal. If my top is back and the AC is off go ahead and shut down, no need to burn gas at the lights. As soon as I kick the clutch in it restarts and I'm never waiting on it. If it's hot and I want the AC running I can turn it off or hold the clutch.

But the dead battery thing is common and worth looking into.

Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
EXACTLY. If I want it to work I press the brake harder, if I see it's a stale red and about to turn green, I don't press the brake hard, just enough to prevent movement and it won't shut down.
I learned on my wife's Jeeps how to manipulate pressure on the brake pedal. Soft foot - it won't shut down. Race to the stop sign and slam on the brakes and hold 'em hard, it shuts down.
Exactly what I do. If I’m stuck in heavy traffic on the interstate, I’ll push the pedal all the way down to kick on the ESS. I’m not moving so might as well have the engine kick off. If I’m just tooling around town and catch a light, I just press the brake pedal enough to keep the Jeep stopped but without triggering the ESS. I just never found ESS to be all that intrusive and most the time you don’t notice when it kicks off or on unless you’re staring at the dash to watch the RPM needle drop and the ESS light to come on.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly what I do. If I’m stuck in heavy traffic on the interstate, I’ll push the pedal all the way down to kick on the ESS. I’m not moving so might as well have the engine kick off. If I’m just tooling around town and catch a light, I just press the brake pedal enough to keep the Jeep stopped but without triggering the ESS. I just never found ESS to be all that intrusive and most the time you don’t notice when it kicks off or on unless you’re staring at the dash to watch the RPM needle drop and the ESS light to come on.
Stop lights aren't race track trees - but I suspect some of the dislike for the ESS is based on the "gotta be the first off the line" syndrome - which in true competition would get some of those haters disqualified on that run and a red light on the tree.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Stop lights aren't race track trees - but I suspect some of the dislike for the ESS is based on the "gotta be the first off the line" syndrome - which in true competition would get some of those haters disqualified on that run and a red light on the tree.

I HATE it in my JL, but not so much in my JT.
Its all in the calibrations of the pedal switch/system.
Nothing to do with being first off the line.

On my JL it is very difficult to stop and hold the Jeep and not have it activate.
It also shuts the damn thing down almost every time I go to put it in park, and then an immediate restart once in park.....then of course I turn the Jeep off....again. :mad:
This is on those rare times I can get it to hold and not activate.
That is the most frustrating thing and why it almost always gets the "button" pushed on the JL.

On my JT I can stop and hold the truck most times and not have it activate.
Never shuts down when I go to put it in park either.
I tend to leave it active a lot more.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jas504

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
So I have basically tried all of the above. It's not set to lowest temp and definitely not the light break pedal thing. When I scroll through the dash pages it says cabin is heating or cooling. One day I had the a/c temp on about 70 and it still never kicked in. Don't misunderstand me, I am glad it doesn't come on. I personally can't stand the ESS bullshit.
I was just curious if I was the only one seeing this.
It would be nice if some higher up engineers with Jeep realized how bad everyone hates this and tweaked their ESS so it virtually would never engage. That would be a blessing.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
WHAT?!

:LOL:

I'm not a fan of ESS is because it's new and unnerving. We're raised to not have a car engine turn off, so it's very unsettling for it to happen multiple times in one trip.

Logically (;)), I'm not a fan because of the age-old belief that starting/stopping your engine is one of the worst things you can do to it. My dad worked at Boeing for 40 years, 60s-00s, and the run-about work trucks were never shut off except to gas them up. Regularly hit 300k miles.

The number of cars with this feature, however, seem to justify it is a "feature" that is here to stay. I just hope it's not something that is going to screw us in 5-10 years with new starters, ring gears, etc.
Sponsored