Leaking axle seal?

ShadowMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave; ‘09Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Attorney
I got my 21 Mojave with 6747 miles serviced last week and noticed a weird sound like a bad belt in a tire and pulling to the right afterwards. I got underneath it today and found the RR axle seal leaking. I don’t think the leaking seal has anything to do with the pull to the right now, but I’m wondering whether the noise is the axle shaft. My MDH is 121307.

I spoke to the service manager because I was not happy that the tech just rotated the greasy wheel from the back and never said anything about the leak. He had me bring it right over and they immediately ordered a new RR axle shaft. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow and install on Wednesday.
Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 343357DE-C5D4-4381-B513-3DE33817E3AA
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I got my 21 Mojave with 6747 miles serviced last week and noticed a weird sound like a bad belt in a tire and pulling to the right afterwards. I got underneath it today and found the RR axle seal leaking. I don’t think the leaking seal has anything to do with the pull to the right now, but I’m wondering whether the noise is the axle shaft. My MDH is 121307.

I spoke to the service manager because I was not happy that the tech just rotated the greasy wheel from the back and never said anything about the leak. He had me bring it right over and they immediately ordered a new RR axle shaft. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow and install on Wednesday.
Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 343357DE-C5D4-4381-B513-3DE33817E3AA
Two things come to mind -
(both indicate the tech is a dingdong)
He didn't mention it because he knew it would be warranty and didn't want to have to deal with warranty work
or
If this hadn't been warranty, they'd have been all over that truck trying to find something wrong so they could sell you parts - even wiper blades, filters, valve stem caps, whatever)

Ugh, I can understand your frustration upon discovery they rotated the tire, had to have seen it and said nothing, but am impressed that they jumped all over it when you went back and hopefully are taking care of you.

ShadowMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Attorney
Two things come to mind -
(both indicate the tech is a dingdong)
He didn't mention it because he knew it would be warranty and didn't want to have to deal with warranty work
or
If this hadn't been warranty, they'd have been all over that truck trying to find something wrong so they could sell you parts - even wiper blades, filters, valve stem caps, whatever)

Ugh, I can understand your frustration upon discovery they rotated the tire, had to have seen it and said nothing, but am impressed that they jumped all over it when you went back and hopefully are taking care of you.
I have to say that the service manager was not happy with the tech because it was so obvious that it shouldn't have been missed. Unless something happens later I would say that they are taking very good care of me. I like to stay optimistic too. :jk::turkey:

Kickaxe07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro-Blue Pearl Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
Turck gets dropped off today to get the second leak fixed. Thery are going to check it over well to see if it was a tech error or somthing with the housing that caused the second leak.

ShadowMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Attorney
Turck gets dropped off today to get the second leak fixed. Thery are going to check it over well to see if it was a tech error or somthing with the housing that caused the second leak.
@Kickaxe07, about how many miles did your repair last? I’m just wondering if FCA is being provided more faulty axle shafts and knowingly installing them to get through the warranty period without having to replace the entire axle housing based on a cost-benefit analysis.

It only costs 1 hr of labor and about $50 per axle assembly to repair. If a “repaired” axle lasts approximately 7000 miles then they could repair it several times and it would still cost less than removal and replace of the entire axle housing, including differential.

Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green

343357DE-C5D4-4381-B513-3DE33817E3AA.jpeg
@Kickaxe07, about how many miles did your repair last? I’m just wondering if FCA is being provided more faulty axle shafts and knowingly installing them to get through the warranty period without having to replace the entire axle housing based on a cost-benefit analysis.

It only costs 1 hr of labor and about $50 per axle assembly to repair. If a “repaired” axle lasts approximately 7000 miles then they could repair it several times and it would still cost less than removal and replace of the entire axle housing, including differential.
I know you were not asking me...but I am one of the folks with a 2x failure as well. First one (the original from the factory) failed at around 1,200 miles.....second one failed around 3,750 or so. Keeping a close eye on this third one......

Kickaxe07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machinist

Less than 2k mikes. the first one was at 10,200ish and the next one was at 11,900ish. the first one started a lot sooner than 10k, i just didnt notice it until then.
also the first one was finished at the end of october, took 4 weeks to get parts. this one i found on dec 1st, got parts in last week. dropped off today

NodrogRide

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Patient Registration
After I brought mine back to the dealership to check for a leak after the repair the tech said he was 'totally confident' that it was just residual oil from the first leak. My repair happened around 6000 miles, so I'll keep an eye on it...

Kickaxe07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machinist
After I brought mine back to the dealership to check for a leak after the repair the tech said he was 'totally confident' that it was just residual oil from the first leak. My repair happened around 6000 miles, so I'll keep an eye on it...
I took mine to the carwash and used the high pressure soap a rinse and cleaned the backing plate and housing off, after doing that it looked like brand new with no fluid on it at all, then kept an eye on it for a couple days, then i saw the drip on the bottom of the backing plate

Lonewolf

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S max tow
Add me to this club (sadly) 2021 sport s max tow. 4/21 date. Noticed it at 2400 miles. Waiting to hear back from dealer

Sponsored

ZSum73

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Registered Nurse
So my first repair was a complete fail now after just 800 miles, back to full leak like the original today, made appt for Jan 5 to have it looked at and then I guess we figure out from there when repair can be done again.... : (

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
So my first repair was a complete fail now after just 800 miles, back to full leak like the original today, made appt for Jan 5 to have it looked at and then I guess we figure out from there when repair can be done again.... : (
ughhh I feel your pain!

I am on repair #2 already and honestly just waiting for it to leak again. I'm 99% convinced the axle "tube"/housing is out of spec on some of ours....and just not allowing the seal on the axle shaft assembly (the unit they keep replacing) to seal properly.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
Did this stop happening after a certain manufacturer date or even the newest ones have this issue?

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
I just love it when a 'tech' can't find a minute or two to clean off the residual grease/oil after replacing bad parts :mad:. Maybe stop checking their phone so often and they'll find some free time on their hands to do the job right... (IMLTHO)
Sponsored