LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS!

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the supernova v.4 bulbs? Last night, after about 10k miles in the gladiator, my passenger side headlight went out...although an LED bulb blowing out means it's clearly defective, I'm hoping its only that vs. an issue with wiring... Hope all is well everyone!

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the supernova v.4 bulbs? Last night, after about 10k miles in the gladiator, my passenger side headlight went out...although an LED bulb blowing out means it's clearly defective, I'm hoping its only that vs. an issue with wiring... Hope all is well everyone!
Did you keep your stock bulbs? I would install it back and see if you are getting power to it or just move your drive side to test it.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I put the Amazon fogs in today. Pretty simple and very bright.

Bought one of those Amazon plastic rivet kits and trim removal tool kit to make the job easier.
Did not damage any of the rivets during removal, but the kit I bought is nice to have around.

Did not want to use the leds in the headlight bucket, so I am just did the fogs.

Deleted member 39643

My fog light install on the sport was a nightmare, Jeep has 5 evil 7mm 1.5 inch bolts per side that increase in torque in the last 0.5 of thread. Caused half of them to tear the cheap Jeep plastic and had to cut em with the bolt cutter. Then you have just enough space to fit your hand and fiddle with more evil plastic fog light retainers. No metal clip, just more cheap breakable plastic. Install wasn't nearly as bad though. Jeep should be ashamed.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
My fog light install on the sport was a nightmare, Jeep has 5 evil 7mm 1.5 inch bolts per side that increase in torque in the last 0.5 of thread. Caused half of them to tear the cheap Jeep plastic and had to cut em with the bolt cutter. Then you have just enough space to fit your hand and fiddle with more evil plastic fog light retainers. No metal clip, just more cheap breakable plastic. Install wasn't nearly as bad though. Jeep should be ashamed.
Wow that seems crazy. That may be a isolated incident. I had mine installed in less than 25 minutes start to finish. Did you remove the air dam on the bottom then the plastic that covers the spot where the fog lights are.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Wow that seems crazy. That may be a isolated incident. I had mine installed in less than 25 minutes start to finish. Did you remove the air dam on the bottom then the plastic that covers the spot where the fog lights are.
Not isolated. Those little fasteners suck. It seems they bind up prior to tightening completely. I'm thinking that maybe they're overtightened at the factory and the threads on either the bolt or nut (or both) are rolled over slightly.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Not isolated. Those little fasteners suck. It seems they bind up prior to tightening completely. I'm thinking that maybe they're overtightened at the factory and the threads on either the bolt or nut (or both) are rolled over slightly.
I don't know then, I had no issues with mine. They came right out and went right back in

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that would take some hellish torque to "roll over" threads, in the neighborhood of 300 pound/feet. No way. Those aren't even close to the torque of some of the grade 5 fasteners, let alone grade 8, that I deal with, and there's no reason for them to be.
Besides, if threads were distorted, it would be in that final location, meaning it would be near impossible to break them loose but once loose and moved a little, they'd move more freely, not less.
Besides, the member was talking about areas in or around plastic..........
I deal with torques in the range of 150 to 250 on a semi-regular basis - no thread distortion. You'll break something first.
Dirt or undercoating or or thread locker or something else, but not torque.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that would take some hellish torque to "roll over" threads, in the neighborhood of 300 pound/feet. No way. Those aren't even close to the torque of some of the grade 5 fasteners, let alone grade 8, that I deal with, and there's no reason for them to be.
Besides, if threads were distorted, it would be in that final location, meaning it would be near impossible to break them loose but once loose and moved a little, they'd move more freely, not less.
Besides, the member was talking about areas in or around plastic..........
I deal with torques in the range of 150 to 250 on a semi-regular basis - no thread distortion. You'll break something first.
Dirt or undercoating or or thread locker or something else, but not torque.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same fasteners. these bolts are about 1/8" across and the "nuts" are more like speed nuts or clips than actual nuts. I had hell with mine when I did my fog light swap.

EDIT, the confusion may lie in the 7mm part the previous poster referred to. 7mm is the size of the socket you use on the bolt not the size of the threaded section of the bolt.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure we're talking about the same fasteners. these bolts are about 1/8" across and the "nuts" are more like speed nuts or clips than actual nuts. I had hell with mine when I did my fog light swap.

EDIT, the confusion may lie in the 7mm part the previous poster referred to. 7mm is the size of the socket you use on the bolt not the size of the threaded section of the bolt.
Yeah I hate it when people size a bolt by the size of the wrench they take. I guess they've never worked in a parts store or hardware store - the same BOLT size MAY come with different head sizes depending on application. Always specify the bolt shank diameter and thread pitch.

In any case, I've never had any issues with any fasteners in any location on my truck - suspension, steering, bumper, fog lights, door parts (passive entry upgrade), etc.
I don't know why - other than maybe I expect certain things and do things a lot differently than most.
Want trouble - try taking apart the things I work on LOL - 40 years of oxidation, electrolysis. dirt, paint, sand/grit, you name it.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I hate it when people size a bolt by the size of the wrench they take. I guess they've never worked in a parts store or hardware store - the same BOLT size MAY come with different head sizes depending on application. Always specify the bolt shank diameter and thread pitch.

In any case, I've never had any issues with any fasteners in any location on my truck - suspension, steering, bumper, fog lights, door parts (passive entry upgrade), etc.
I don't know why - other than maybe I expect certain things and do things a lot differently than most.
Want trouble - try taking apart the things I work on LOL - 40 years of oxidation, electrolysis. dirt, paint, sand/grit, you name it.
I removed mine when it was a month or so old. No corrosion. Some of them bound up on the way out. They're chickenshit fasteners.

Deleted member 39643

Step 1: remove clips, super easy with clip removal tool

Jeep Gladiator LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS! PXL_20210511_060651240

Jeep Gladiator LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS! 1621016795123

Step 2, nightmarishly long bolts that go into plastic retainers. They are very long, I used a cordless drill to pull em out as they got very tough using hand tools. As you can see in the 2nd photo the bolts go into metal retainers held in by a couple mm of square shaped plastic. Not sure why jeep couldn't just have a plastic clip in cover inbetween all these bolts for ease of access.

View attachment 155331
Jeep Gladiator LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS! 1621017812611

Step 3, the nightmare continues, now that you spent 30 min unscrewing unreasonably long bolts, you get about 3 inches of space to work with very soft fog light clips. I'm used to fog lights having a metal retaining clip, that is usually annoying to get out / in, but doesn't break, these clips were very frustrating to get out due to the limited space working with them. I believe the shape is symmetrical with a clip on both sides that needs to be pulled away from the housing enough to pull the bulb out.

Jeep Gladiator LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS! 1621018416425

Step 4, install new bulbs by pressing them into the socket, this worked pretty easy, and was simpler than installing bulbs with retaining clips, but everything up until installing the bulbs is awful. I ended up with another car project scar on my left arm and some sheered bolts. I had to cut a couple with the bold cutter to get them out. Might be worth a shop putting in bulbs if it is going to be this difficult.

Jeep Gladiator LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS! 1621018788250

Jeep Gladiator LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS! 1621018830870

1621017298679.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Step 1: remove clips, super easy with clip removal tool

Jeep Gladiator LED Bulb Replacement - IT WORKS! 1621017298679

Step 2, nightmarishly long bolts that go into plastic retainers. They are very long, I used a cordless drill to pull em out as they got very tough using hand tools. As you can see in the 2nd photo the bolts go into metal retainers held in by a couple mm of square shaped plastic. Not sure why jeep couldn't just have a plastic clip in cover inbetween all these bolts for ease of access.

View attachment 155331

Step 3, the nightmare continues, now that you spent 30 min unscrewing unreasonably long bolts, you get about 3 inches of space to work with very soft fog light clips. I'm used to fog lights having a metal retaining clip, that is usually annoying to get out / in, but doesn't break, these clips were very frustrating to get out due to the limited space working with them. I believe the shape is symmetrical with a clip on both sides that needs to be pulled away from the housing enough to pull the bulb out.

Step 4, install new bulbs by pressing them into the socket, this worked pretty easy, and was simpler than installing bulbs with retaining clips, but everything up until installing the bulbs is awful. I ended up with another car project scar on my left arm and some sheered bolts. I had to cut a couple with the bold cutter to get them out. Might be worth a shop putting in bulbs if it is going to be this difficult.

Could one just pull the whole bumper off to have room to work? It's only 8 bolts.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could one just pull the whole bumper off to have room to work? It's only 8 bolts.
Working a bumper by yourself can be a challenge in it's own right.

The long screws and clips pictured above are the exact ones I had hell with too.
Sponsored

Last edited: