Sponsored

LOL - Every 2021 Ford Bronco With a Hardtop Needs a New One

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Heck, ford people will take this in stride. They've been waiting for this beast.
I agree social mediocre is savage beyond belief but Ford has survived some crazy times with money in the bank. Do they even need to catch Jeep - or just keep Jeep on the edge of their collective seats?
Bronco will sell - likely to what used to be called "yuppies" - today's young professionals (or wannabes) looking for comfort and trusting the Ford brand.
I've said many times that the Bronco focus group definitely included many Jeepers... aside from the lack of a solid axle its what most modern jeep owners have wanted. Most importantly, it has the features that make a rugged SUV feel much more stable and comforatble to the mall crawler (or, as you said, yuppies) that is your average JL/JLU buyer. I would say that with how directly targeted they were at Jeep and not Toyota, they definitely want to catch them.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've said many times that the Bronco focus group definitely included many Jeepers... aside from the lack of a solid axle its what most modern jeep owners have wanted. Most importantly, it has the features that make a rugged SUV feel much more stable and comforatble to the mall crawler (or, as you said, yuppies) that is your average JL/JLU buyer. I would say that with how directly targeted they were at Jeep and not Toyota, they definitely want to catch them.
I can easily name one thing that Ford addressed that was a complaint from Jeep owners - Ford bent over backwards to put the MIRRORS off the doors. In fact there's a long article out there explaining what a problem it was for Ford engineers to place that mirror so it was still there, doors off. After reading that article, I can sort of understand now why Jeep hasn't done that yet. Ford knew it was a Jeep owner gripe - and directly addressed it.
That sure supports your thinking on it.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I hate this, tell “Tony” in Toledo, Ohio where he just built the Jeep that it’s Italian. Doesn’t matter what parent company owns them, I’m guessing the vendors have stayed mostly the same since before the JK. In the case of the 500x platform Jeeps you have a point maybe but it’s still stupid.
FCA - F’ Carmine, Again? 🤔

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
Good thing you never see that in the software or IT area, eh?
As a solutions engineer for the last 10 years, I spit out my water I laughed so hard.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
That's a given where I live. Surprised Jeep sells anything knowing the sales tactics around Des Moines. Wait, I have to go check with my manager (while they talk the Iowa/Iowa State game)
The best sales people I ever ran into in the Des Moines area were those at Karl Chevrolet - those people bent over backwards, NO PUSH at all, answered all questions and were actually willing to talk without checking with a manager.
Jeep sales people here, with only a couple of exceptions, were working other jobs last month and have no clue what some of the common features are or what this switch is for.
If it was based on sales staff in our area, Jeep would go bust. No wonder the vast majority, and I mean Majority - of trucks here are Chevy and have Karl's badge on the back.
I was pleasantly surprised by local Faricy Boys Jeep dealer in Colorado Springs. I went with my son to buy my Gladiator. The dealer was so laid back my son asked, "I wonder if they even care if they sell a Jeep". I had been talking online with the Internet sales rep for months. When I showed up, they simply took my down payment, found me some cheap financing and gave me the keys. Nice! (When I finally met the Internet sales rep I couldn't help but notice she was quite the stunner.)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As a solutions engineer for the last 10 years, I spit out my water I laughed so hard.
Yeah, thankfully retired from a number of years in IT where I was responsible for servers, security, operating systems, and so on so I can look back and joke about it now.

Years ago Cisco rolled out a "critical" update to our remote office ASAs and it took out 1/3 of our devices - no way to downgrade save for sending them back and getting replacements. I mean it crashed them so hard there was no recovery even if you had them in your hands.

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, thankfully retired from a number of years in IT where I was responsible for servers, security, operating systems, and so on so I can look back and joke about it now.

Years ago Cisco rolled out a "critical" update to our remote office ASAs and it took out 1/3 of our devices - no way to downgrade save for sending them back and getting replacements. I mean it crashed them so hard there was no recovery even if you had them in your hands.
I've been on a few of those critical updates with many different suppliers, where a large amount of premise equipment bricks, and there's nothing to do but deploy, recover, and RMA.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was pleasantly surprised by local Faricy Boys Jeep dealer in Colorado Springs. I went with my son to buy my Gladiator. The dealer was so laid back my son asked, "I wonder if they even care if they sell a Jeep". I had been talking online with the Internet sales rep for months. When I showed up, they simply took my down payment, found me some cheap financing and gave me the keys. Nice! (When I finally met the Internet sales rep I couldn't help but notice she was quite the stunner.)
Best buying experience ever was Motor Inn in north Iowa. It was similar - no push at all. When the decision was made, it was the most easy, most simple process I have ever been through - mostly over the phone and email.

I have to say the sales guy I bought my JT through knew his stuff - he could tell you almost anything about these trucks, he made one mistake, though, about a feature and he missed ordering it with passive entry even though my wife and I both said multiple times "we want that"
But his tactics sucked. Lowball on my trade - even complaining "we'll probably lose money on it, we'll end up taking it to auction and losing money - those don't sell that well around here"
I thought and thought about it and the more I thought, the more pissed I got and checked around our local market and finally decided to drive my Chevy to a local Chevy dealer and find out what THEY would do - they bought the truck from me outright for about 3K more than the Jeep guy was offering in trade. They looked it at about 2 or 3 minutes, drove it around their lot once and came in and cut a check.
When I went to get my JT - the guy asked where my trade was - I told him I sold it. He then went into this "we had people wanting that truck, we could have sold it tonight, we really wanted it" and on and on....... what BS!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've been on a few of those critical updates with many different suppliers, where a large amount of premise equipment bricks, and there's nothing to do but deploy, recover, and RMA.
Exactly. That's what happened.
It meant some trips to remote offices, and a lot of sending out packages over-night and talking local staff through replacements, but it was largely plug and play they way I had them set up and tested prior to sending them out.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't disagree - but aside from Jeep owners, Ford people tend to be pretty loyal. Ford withstood some horrible times - while GM floundered and needed a cash infusion. Ford will survive this. Ford people will buy them. Now as far as people from OTHER past ownerships jumping into - this will be interesting.
Our Grand Cherokees over the years have been some of the most reliable, trouble-free, QUIET, rattle and squeak free vehicles we've ever owned. We've had at least one of every version Jeep put out, in some cases, more than one of each platform. Quiet as can be, never a rattle or squeak.
My JT is a truck with a lot of removable parts - no small feat to make something like that not rattle or squeak or leak.
Yeah, Ford got lucky because they took their 9 BILLION dollars from the Feds a few months before GM and Chrysler did, so when the media firestorm took off they sort of got left out of the negative press. But the fact is, they're a wreck too. And their upper management has done a terrible job since 2011. They've really been out of touch with consumers.

I can't wait to see what other issues pop up on this Bronco after more of them get out on the roadways. It'll probably take another 12 months to really get them on the roads in force, but when they do it'll be interesting.

I wonder if Ford dealers will be as mod friendly as Jeep dealers are? That's going to be another interesting thing...

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I don't disagree - but aside from Jeep owners, Ford people tend to be pretty loyal. Ford withstood some horrible times - while GM floundered and needed a cash infusion. Ford will survive this. Ford people will buy them. Now as far as people from OTHER past ownerships jumping into - this will be interesting.
Our Grand Cherokees over the years have been some of the most reliable, trouble-free, QUIET, rattle and squeak free vehicles we've ever owned. We've had at least one of every version Jeep put out, in some cases, more than one of each platform. Quiet as can be, never a rattle or squeak.
My JT is a truck with a lot of removable parts - no small feat to make something like that not rattle or squeak or leak.
I had a 2002 WJ that had quite a few problems before 130K when I got rid of it. This is just what I can remember:

Blower motor resistor and melted wiring
Power steering pump hose
Blend doors and recirc door
Hydraulic cooling fan relay
Dropped valve seat (4.7L)
Elements for heated seats
Trans pan rusted through

I liked the Jeep for how it drove, but it was not reliable at all. These are all common problems with the WJ.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2002 WJ that had quite a few problems before 130K when I got rid of it. This is just what I can remember:

Blower motor resistor and melted wiring
Power steering pump hose
Blend doors and recirc door
Hydraulic cooling fan relay
Dropped valve seat (4.7L)
Elements for heated seats
Trans pan rusted through

I liked the Jeep for how it drove, but it was not reliable at all. These are all common problems with the WJ.
I've had 3. The most recent had over 128,000 miles when I sold it. The only issues were oil pan leak, radiator and right rear axle seal. Engine was rock solid (4.0)
The rear wiper stopped working, I never messed with it. At 127,000 miles the driver door power lock became intermittent - but considering how often the door was opened and closed over 16 years time - geesh, 16 years, well over 100,000 miles - I consider it to have not had any problems at all because all issues showed up at over 112,000 miles months after my dad bought it.
My father owned it before I bought it from his estate. He had the radiator replaced and the oil pan gasket replaced. I replaced the right rear axle bearing and seal. It was reliable as heck.
Heater and AC worked great.
Any vehicle that goes over 100,000 miles before having issues - and the issues are what I consider minor..................

Never had any issues with our other two.

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD Willys 2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
Occupation
Programmer
As programmer I was unaware that you were allowed to finish something before you released it.
80% finish 100% send it lol

Last edited:

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD Willys 2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
Occupation
Programmer
I have had Ford's for a long time and I haven't had any horrible negative experiences (multiple f150s, Mustangs). My parents when I was growing up and to this day buy Jeeps and have had a ton of issues. They typically buy what I consider "disposable" type jeeps like Renegade, Patriot, Liberty, Compass, and so on. Everybody's experience and opinion on a whole brand comes from a different place.

I think it's good there is competition as some have mentioned so far. -This is good for Jeep owners

If Ford didn't get me hyped about the Bronco, I wouldn't have ordered one, and If they didn't botch everything about the launch, I probably wouldn't have been interested in exploring my options and would have a new F150 and not a Gladiator -This is good for Jeep

The Bronco is still a pretty decent off-road rig for just throwing themselves back in the game.
  • You can add at least a rear locking diff to pretty much any Bronco. Some people don't need to rock crawl in their jeeps but do live where it snows, and sometimes the locking diff can help but don't need front/rear locks, sway bar disconnect, etc
  • Mirrors as discussed
  • It's more comfortable which does matter to some.
  • Their Ecoboost engine options are not perfect but proven enough where it's not a huge concern unless turbos terrify the living shit out of you.
  • It's likely that 5.0 coyote or at least better engine options will be available eventually (More likely a bigger or at least better tuned ecoboost though)
  • Others think it's pretty likely we'll see a "gladiator" version of the bronco potentially too. Personally that would suprise me with the ranger and the Maverick but i'm sure people would love it if it happened.
Ford is going to see that customers like me switched to Jeep and get their shit together, Jeep is going to see why some of the most loyal jeepers switched to Ford and that will give everybody more options!

Not a Ford fanboy, probably was at one point. I have a Hyundai That's faster than my Mustang GT and Jeep that is cooler than any of my F150s were now so be nice lol.

Jeep Gladiator LOL - Every 2021 Ford Bronco With a Hardtop Needs a New One 1628909597669

Last edited:

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I've had 3. The most recent had over 128,000 miles when I sold it. The only issues were oil pan leak, radiator and right rear axle seal. Engine was rock solid (4.0)
The rear wiper stopped working, I never messed with it. At 127,000 miles the driver door power lock became intermittent - but considering how often the door was opened and closed over 16 years time - geesh, 16 years, well over 100,000 miles - I consider it to have not had any problems at all because all issues showed up at over 112,000 miles months after my dad bought it.
My father owned it before I bought it from his estate. He had the radiator replaced and the oil pan gasket replaced. I replaced the right rear axle bearing and seal. It was reliable as heck.
Heater and AC worked great.
Any vehicle that goes over 100,000 miles before having issues - and the issues are what I consider minor..................

Never had any issues with our other two.
I have a '09 WK Limited in the driveway now with just about every dash light on. BAS, ESP, ABS, and a Service 4wd message in the odometer.

Last Ford F150 I had went to 270k. Driveshaft, batteries, and brakes were all I did. Timing chain failure and cab corners rusted out were what killed it.
Sponsored