Sponsored

Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation!

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the offer. We have out a few times for rock climbing and mountain biking over the years, this will be the first driving trip.
We are planning a trip to Telluride for this summer. There will be lots of offroad driving and mountain biking. We will be camping mostly but will probably grab an Airbnb for a few nights.
If you haven't been there before PM me and I'll give you a little insight. I'm planning a July trip there this year, and went last year. I had my mind blown. You'll love it.
Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
If you haven't been there before PM me and I'll give you a little insight. I'm planning a July trip there this year, and went last year. I had my mind blown. You'll love it.
"I had my mind blown." Really? REALLY? You been trippin (pun intended). What would the inmates say? Gotta give a brother Vet and law enforcement officer a hard time...cause I know you will have a hard time reaching thru the internet to give me, "hand to throat counseling."

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
UPDATE !

We’re almost done. My apologies for taking so long, life keeps getting in the way. Anyway as you may recall the last time I posted we dropped off the truck to the muffler shop. A few days later he called and asked me to drop by. He had installed a pipe from the main flared factory connection almost straight back to a smaller muffler above the rear axle and then on to the factory resonator. He handed me the keys and said to take it for a drive but you may not like it...It sounded fine when started and seemed to be a bit peppier but when the rpms got etween 2000 and 2500 there was an awful drone... no bueno!

So I brought it back and was talking with him and he said he didn’t have another resonator to fit in the space at the beginning of the secondary fuel tank. Fortunately I read on this forum where another member ( Thanks @Kindafearless )had a similar drone issue and installed a Vibrant Performance resonator from Summit Racing. I ordered it and had it installed and it made a world of difference. Much better although there is a small drone at about 2100 rpm that I can live with ( I’m actually making a plan to fix that...stay tuned!).

So here are a few pictures taken from my garage floor this cold February day. I will put it up on my lift next week when I go to the shop but wanted to show everyone what it looks like now. It cost me $380 for the muffler work but I don’t have the bill for the tank install yet...
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! D8EEAD2C-7D54-44C0-A58C-A03F191DEA9D
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! BDD4DDF4-864E-4DB6-AF0F-72AE3E50F9BA
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! 85ED49C2-5D6A-4AF8-A9AB-E453D73C77E0
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! 0FE47284-9E3E-427F-B807-A6C3DB99AE34
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! 9E1460E5-3AC8-4942-8F2D-FF929CE744BB
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! BF4A8370-4BD6-43FE-8DD9-132E70E185FF
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! FC9FB36E-9E5A-4CB2-B0D9-0AE112E0FDD6

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
There were 2 heat shields that came with the kit; one fit on the straight section of the exhaust and is about an inch away from the tank. The second one is actually bolted to the side of the tank where it flares back and provides a few inches of space.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
There were 2 heat shields that came with the kit; one fit on the straight section of the exhaust and is about an inch away from the tank. The second one is actually bolted to the side of the tank where it flares back and provides a few inches of space.
Thanks for the update, Eddie.

Sponsored

Woodreaux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Harley Davidson
Occupation
Engineerig
Thanks for posting the update. Prototyping, re-engineering and customizing is definitely a time consuming process.

The LRA tank looks great installed- good luck in finding the non drone exhaust note.

Looking forward to the next update.

S Kama Do!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
This may be relevant with your attempt at eliminating exhaust drone; coming from the g8 world where many complained about this problem, at least one manufacturer used helmholtz resonators in an attempt reduce drone.
009-g8-mach-shorty-cat-back-exhaust-kit-pontiac-g8.jpg

It's the J shaped section near the end of the system.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Drone .......GONE!

There were ‘two issues I wanted to address to complete the install. Fixing the Drone between 2000 and 2500 RPM and installing some sort of heat shield on the upper pipe and first resonator that didn’t have any protection. I ended up buying two Heatshield Products from Summit Racing; the first a small flexible shield that I cut to fit around the resonator and secondly basically the same product meant for exhaust pipes. The exhaust wrap said it was for 3” exhaust but as you can see it didn’t quite go around the 2.5” pipe of our Gladiator which is fine. I just wanted to protect the LRA fuel tank and absorb the sound if possible.

I’m happy to report that when I took my wife for a 1/2 hour spin on the back roads around here she was satisfied. Yes we can still hear the exhaust at around 2000 RPM but it is by no means obnoxious.

Here are a few pictures...
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! FAA5492D-395F-4FDE-9E22-4A1024F98FBB
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! 661A905E-A47A-4DC3-B398-FFD1001420C1
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! CF39BC6F-D8D4-4235-8D3A-0074D9B1F4C2
Jeep Gladiator Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation! BC533725-9243-48A5-9442-A949A7991057

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
One small suggestion: with the ‘seam’ of that wrap the way it is, if/when water & mud splash up there it will collect inside the wrap. If you turn the seam down, it can drain out-

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
You are an impressive pioneer on this aux tank! I love it and will consider.

Sponsored

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You are an impressive pioneer on this aux tank! I love it and will consider.
Thank you! I’ve learned a lot from others here and I just wanted to pay it back a little.

Last edited:

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Now jeep just needs to come out with the Gladiator Long Range edition with larger gas tank or secondary tank (LOL). I would be happy with the 30 gallon tank my Ram had in it

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Now jeep just needs to come out with the Gladiator Long Range edition with larger gas tank or secondary tank (LOL). I would be happy with the 30 gallon tank my Ram had in it
I agree. In looking under the bed there is room to add at least another 5 gallons, maybe more

Woodreaux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Harley Davidson
Occupation
Engineerig
Nice touch using the exhaust wrap. 👍🏻
Sponsored