Sponsored

Looking to get a 2020. Can the Max Tow Package be added to an already built Sport S?

Loel

First Name
sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius.. husband has the 7.3L diesel Excursion + Ford box truck...
Occupation
health wellness
Hi! Ideally I'd like the 2020 Sport S with Max Tow Package (and leather seats but can pay $1500 here to have the cloth changed to leather). BUT I don't see any with the Max Tow Package? The sales guys are idiots or think I am because they make that 7500lb tow claim, but it's only got the 'tow package' which is not the Max tow! What should I easily look for on window sticker to be sure... this one just has the 3.73 axel ratio, whereas the Max Tow would have the 4.10:1 Axel ratio. Can I add the Max Tow to this or is it done when they build it? Can anything else be done to increase tow capacity of this or even of the Overland? Thanks!
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi! Ideally I'd like the 2020 Sport S with Max Tow Package (and leather seats but can pay $1500 here to have the cloth changed to leather). BUT I don't see any with the Max Tow Package? The sales guys are idiots or think I am because they make that 7500lb tow claim, but it's only got the 'tow package' which is not the Max tow! What should I easily look for on window sticker to be sure... this one just has the 3.73 axel ratio, whereas the Max Tow would have the 4.10:1 Axel ratio. Can I add the Max Tow to this or is it done when they build it? Can anything else be done to increase tow capacity of this or even of the Overland? Thanks!
it wouldn’t be cost effective to add max tow bits after the fact imo. The wider axle and 4:10 in combination with the improved rear springs would just cost more than ordering and waiting for one to get built.

sooo a couple options off the top of my head

1- order a 2021 max tow and wait (waiting sucks)

2- use one of those carvana type delivery businesses and have them drop it at your driveway

3- find one that you want in a surrounding state and make the dealer go get it. ( this is what i did. I told them either they go get it and i do my business with them. Or I drive to it and do my business with another dealer.)

4- find what you want in a surrounding state and go get it.

5- find what you want ANYWHERE in the us and make a little trip out of it. If you have a trade drive it down, or sell your trade to a local dealer outright. Then take a flight to where the truck is and have the dealer meet you at the airport with it for a test drive back to the shop for paperwork.

I have a max tow and can absolutely say its worth getting what you want upfront instead of settling and hoping to upgrade later.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Put simply... no you can’t add it in a practical way. It really is a factory option. While nothing is impossible, that factory option would cost 5x or more to try to do it yourself. You could probably just buy a Rubicon for cheaper than trying to build a Max Tow.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
As has been said, there's quite a lot to a Max Tow that you'd need to change, axles and springs to start. This far into the new model year, leftovers are going to get scarce and you'll need to cast a wide net. Start by searching distant zip codes. The Jeep website shows about 10 available within 250 miles of me in CT, so they are still out there. This one still shows up on the dealer's website- if you can work out how to get it to you https://www.teamwelshjeepchrysler.c...ladiator-4e4cd8a80a0e0a6b3f3dd7e580f1898a.htm

Sponsored

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I gave up on a 2020 after driving one(steering box tsb) and started pricing 2021's and lo and behold I got a better drive out price than any 2020 I had priced with or without employee pricing. I actually got worse pricing on 2020's with employee pricing than I did when there was a $2K rebate.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The simple answer is no, Max Tow is a factory only option. There is nothing that can be done to increase the rated tow capacity the vehicle is manufactured with. You can change springs, axles, upgrade cooling systems, and other components that will effectively increase capacity, but legally you're stuck with what's printed on the door label. The cost to try and do it after would also be quite high.
Sponsored